Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How do mentalists read minds???
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 3:55 pm
I just watched Lior Suchard and it looks like he really can read minds. what is the explanation according to tora? he is not the only one who can do it.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 4:01 pm
Cold reading.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 4:06 pm
Magic

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 4:24 pm
I’m serious. look at this video. there are a lot of them

Amarante

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 4:45 pm
They can't - there is no explanation based on anything. They are all charlatans playing mind tricks.

Many magicians go to great lengths to illustrate how people are tricked by mind readers, psychics and mediums. Like fortune tellers of any kind, they all rely on delusion, coincidence and astute reading of people's reactions. Harry Houdini did it years ago and Penn & Teller do it at the present time.

I had friends years ago who got hooked into one of these figures that claimed she was channeling a spirit. They would play me the tapes of the sessions and it was all that I could do not to burst out hysterically because it was all so ridiculous. And yet this woman J.Z. Knight channeling Ramtha made millions and millions of dollars cashing in on gullible people. She is still around. When Ramtha possessed her she would start talking in a fake deep voice with very fake florid language like Thus Sayest LOL

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Feb 21 2020, 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 4:46 pm
They're not reading minds and it's not magic. It's reading body language, using the power of suggestion, and plain trickery like any other magician- but the way it's presented and all the talking the mentalist does convinces you that he is 'reading minds'.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 4:49 pm
https://www.mentalismzone.com/.....osed/
https://thementalismcourse.com.....o-it/

Just google "how does mentalism work"

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 1:10 pm
The FBI calls it "profiling".

If you fly El Al, you will be "screened" before you go through security, and asked a bunch of really random questions to catch you off guard. They are watching to see how nervous you are, and which questions make you nervous. The see if you are looking around, making eye contact, trying to make too much eye contact by staring, etc. They also try to do it in as friendly a way as possible, so they will make you relaxed. If you relax, you're more likely to give away what you're up to. It's pretty awesome.

I flew to Israel with DD when she was 2 1/2, and they pulled her aside and asked her questions, where she couldn't see me, and I couldn't see her. They asked her to point to her mommy, and a few other things. Mostly to make sure she wasn't being kidnapped, I think. DD said "he was a nice man."

Personally, I trust the "mentalist screeners" more than I do any metal detector. I wish the TSA would use the same techniques, but it's not politically correct. People would be yelling "racism" before you could even check their tickets.

SuperWify

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 6:51 pm
They guess the way humans think. It’s an art.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 8:08 pm
Lior suchard has a video where he actually shows you how he did one of his tricks. I believe it was on the james Corden show you can look it up

mamma llama

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 8:10 pm
The way they ask questions leads you to give them the answers without even realizing it.
Fortune tellers use the same techniques.

WhatFor

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 8:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m serious. look at this video. there are a lot of them

https://youtu.be/qu0h5ThceEw

I love his videos and I think lior is an excellent entertainer and mentalist.

If you wear headphones, you'll be able to hear at 6:55 someone humming the tune he eventually plays on the piano. May be the actual Jonas brother who has had it in his head, may be lior as he's not talking in that moment, although not sure what the point of that would be because he already had him think of the song a while back.

This is fun and captivating either way.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 8:36 pm
I think some have the ability to sense what a person is thinking.

I never thought so until I personally had the following story. I walked into a hardware store looking for a Shabbos clock (timer). I passed by the thermoses and remembered I needed them as well. I then got a phone call got distracted and headed to the register. The proprietor said to me "Aren't you looking for a timer?" I was shocked and asked him how he knew.

He shrugged and said that when people walk into his store he frequently senses what they are looking to buy and when I walked in he sensed I wanted a timer.

sushilover

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:30 pm
Lior uses mental tricks and perhaps a little bit of hypnosis, but most of his tricks are illusions, plain and simple. Just like any stage magician.
For example, one of his favorite tricks is having someone roll a dice and Lior knows the number. The dice is actually a popular trick; it sends beeps or vibrations to something Lior is wearing. Perhaps his ring.

When you can't fathom how a magician performs his tricks, it's because he is incredibly creative and talented, not actually magical.

Sorry to burst the bubble...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 4:47 am
I can’t explain how he does it

polka dots

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:31 pm
I too am amazed by him.

If I would know how he does it by looking at it it wouldn’t be interesting. But I believe that each trick that he does has a logical explanation behind it that he carefully planned out so it should appear magical.

I don’t think he would tell you that it’s through magic or spirit.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 12:53 am
polka dots wrote:
I too am amazed by him.

If I would know how he does it by looking at it it wouldn’t be interesting. But I believe that each trick that he does has a logical explanation behind it that he carefully planned out so it should appear magical.

I don’t think he would tell you that it’s through magic or spirit.

but it just doesn’t make sense. I think some people are born with a unique gift. like the autistic savant who can calculate faster than a computer huge numbers or can tell you dates and weather for all the days. it is just obvious that he can plant things in their minds or / and read their minds.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 12:55 am
also this:

https://youtu.be/nCtR9T0wKms

https://youtu.be/7BIySPaFFhM

I think he tries to downplay his abilities because he doesn’t want people to be scared.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 1:06 am
Houdini hated mediums and psychics.

salt

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 5:28 am
When he jumps around on the piano at about 4:02 - 4:15 - he kind of plays Bohemian Rhapsody.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics