Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How many days of school in school year?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:13 am
How many days of school do your children's schools have this year? I am curious where our school falls, even though I realize there are so many factors and it's hard to make apples to apples comparison.

If you can, give the type of school and at least approximate location (at least country) and hashkafa.

Also, add whatever clarifying information you think is helpful. Like, whether you're counting boys' learning on Sundays, or if the school has an extra long day.

I just counted on my school calendar. Our school has 158 full days, 2 late starts, and 4 early dismissals. I'm not counting Sunday school, because that doesn't start until older grades, which none of my children have reached yet.

We are a small OOT school, with boys and girls, preschool and elementary/junior high (boys and girls separated in later grades). I'd describe the hashkafa as OOT yeshivish, bordering on just plain frum. A full school day is from 8:30 until 4:00 p.m.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:16 am
I don't know where you live but schools have to comply with a minimum amount of days determined by board of ed

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:20 am
avrahamama wrote:
I don't know where you live but schools have to comply with a minimum amount of days determined by board of ed

I believe my state requires a certain number of instructional hours, but does not have any rules about how these must be distributed over days. I also don't know whether and how the same requirements apply to private schools. Not my area of expertise. But I do know how to count the number of days we actually have.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:23 am
I would estimate about 150 school days. My kids didn't have their 100 days party yet, so we're not even to 100 days.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:25 am
I believe either NYC or NYS (not sure which one it is) requires 180 days, but my kids schools don’t have that. I have two kids who go to school in NYC, and one in another county. The one in the other county has (not counting Sunday, because that doesn’t count towards the 180) either 150 or 160 something. The others I have no idea, but it’s definitely not 180.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I believe my state requires a certain number of instructional hours, but does not have any rules about how these must be distributed over days. I also don't know whether and how the same requirements apply to private schools. Not my area of expertise. But I do know how to count the number of days we actually have.

So I forgot the minimum amount of school days we have to comply with. But our administration is careful to hold by that. It's very hard considering we have chagim and chol hamoed, etc.

There are minimum instructional hours as well as minimum days.

There is a private school requirement. Again. I don't remember anything anymore. Lol. I just know our school is careful to comply.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:31 am
I live in Baltimore. The Bais Yaakov calendar includes the following wording:

This calendar provides a minimum of 173 school days

I haven't counted, but it sounds right. They already had their 100th day of school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics