Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Panties vs underwear
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

hodeez

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:10 pm
My daughters, under 5, go to a chassidish school. I want to know why the Morahs use the word "panties" instead of "underwear"? Seems so inappropriate to me.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:12 pm
Why? Isn't it the same thing?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:14 pm
Op I agree with you I am sixty years old by the way

hodeez

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:16 pm
Just seems crude to me. Side note I also find it weird that they don't say "diapers", they say "pampers", even when they use my Parents choice diapers Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:17 pm
hodeez wrote:
My daughters, under 5, go to a chassidish school. I want to know why the Morahs use the word "panties" instead of "underwear"? Seems so inappropriate to me.
OP, panties and underwear literally mean the same thing. There is nothing 2exy about the word panties. Really.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:18 pm
hodeez wrote:
Just seems crude to me. Side note I also find it weird that they don't say "diapers", they say "pampers", even when they use my Parents choice diapers Smile

Well, the Brits call it "hoovering" even when they're using a vacuum manufactured by someone else, and many call tissues "kleenex" (even if they're Marcal or Great Value).

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:18 pm
hodeez wrote:

"Underwear" includes any undergarment -- panties, undershirt, bra, camisole, etc.

"Panties" or "underpants" cover the personal area under your waist.

Why is it inappropriate? And why are they even using the term?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:19 pm
hodeez wrote:

OK, that one drives me nuts, but I'll accept that its a personal foible.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:20 pm
I’m also a little embarrassed about the word panties so I call it underwear...
yes, I’ve always wondered why some people call diapers “pampers “!!!??

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:21 pm
For some reason, I do find the word "panties" more explicit/crude than "underwear," but it's not a hill I want to die on.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:23 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
"Underwear" includes any undergarment -- panties, undershirt, bra, camisole, etc.

"Panties" or "underpants" cover the personal area under your waist.

Why is it inappropriate? And why are they even using the term?
What could possibly be wrong with a teacher having to use the word underpants/panties/pantaloons Wink ?

hodeez

amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
For some reason, I do find the word "panties" more explicit/crude than "underwear," but it's not a hill I want to die on.

I would never say anything to the Morahs bc I doubt they would be saying it if they felt it was crude. I just find it so odd when my daughter tells me "Look I didn't make in my panty" . Like, she didn't hear that word from me!

amother
Smokey

The pampers thing is clearly using the brand name as a catchall for the thing, which is fairly common. Think Q-tips or bandaids or kleenex. Although, admittedly, I've only heard the pampers-as-stand-in-for-diapers thing amongst chassidish, haven't heard it done anyone else.

As for panties vs underwear, they're interchangeable, don't get your panties in a twist over it, as they say Smile

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:24 pm
I think it's a yiddishism. I have heard many chassidish women call boys underwear panties also.

For those wondering why this has come up so often, I work at a day care center.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:25 pm
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/panties

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:39 pm
Op, much of language is how you grew up. The morah probably grew up hearing the word panty and doest mean anything by it. I agree that it's more in chassidish
circles.
Other examples: silver paper for aluminum foil.
Towel paper for paper towel
Bekele for aluminum pan
Go-yta for housekeeper or cleaning lady
(Nothing offensive. Just a cultural thing)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:46 pm
Do we work in the same place!? I recently started working in a chassidish daycare and felt so awkward calling them panties...think Victoria's secret advertising underwear vs panties... By now I've gotten used to it because it's the word the kids understand. I think it's weird try use it for boys too.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:50 pm
My grandma would have called it bloomers

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:55 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
What could possibly be wrong with a teacher having to use the word underpants/panties/pantaloons Wink ?

Nothing wrong with it. But why would teachers need to say it on a regular basis? Unless the kids are toilet training.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:55 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I think it's a yiddishism. I have heard many chassidish women call boys underwear panties also.

For those wondering why this has come up so often, I work at a day care center.

Yeh. I never understood why they calle boys underpants “panties”. I grew up knowing that girls underpants were panties and boys were called underpants . So I found it strange when my toddlers who went to chasidish playgroup referred to their underpants as panties.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics