Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Why would you choose to live in the city?
Previous  1  2

yo'ma

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:35 am
Who says it’s a choice? Sometimes you don’t really have much of one for many reasons posted. Not that a mansion is necessary, but not a city.

gande

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:50 am
I dont need a car and my kids are independent They can go to the grocery, friends, school ect. by themselves. I can walk over and spend time with my family whenever I want.....I get exercise and fresh air walking around on the street. We had the option to move out of town recently and I preferred to stay renting with one bathroom in a building.I do love grass and nature so we go upstate for the summer.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:01 am
I actually love city life. I miss the fast paced, store studded life now that I’ve moved away. There’s also nothing like being able to get anywhere without depending on a car. I hate that my legs have been replaced by wheels.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:04 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
All pluses of living OOT, except special ed services.

???
If your family lives in the city then how is family a plus of oot life? And special ed services are great in some cities and not in others, it’s not like they are great especially out of New York

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:07 am
I love the city. I find the suburbs to be boring and depressing. I don’t want a big house. I’m very happy in a minimal clean functional well designed home.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:10 am
Conveniences
Family
Better schools
Don't need a car
Lots more reasons

I've always said I love looking at big houses but I have no interest in owning one.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:10 am
Ugh I love living in the city. In five minutes I can be at the Met looking at some of the greatest art in the world. Nearly every Sunday we try out a new museum, restaurant, cafe, or store and we've hardly scratched the surface of things to do. There's a secret speakeasy behind an ice cream shop! There's a bar where you can play board games with strangers! On any given night I can meet my husband for dim sum, Indian, sushi burritos, pastries as good as the ones in Paris, or a fried pickle restaurant. I absolutely love having all these things to do. I love the communities here for young Jewish professionals, and how we do shabbat. I love that if I want to go to the supermarket or meet someone for coffee, I don't need to drive somewhere and park, I can walk two blocks. I always envisioned raising kids in a house but sometimes my husband and I talk about just staying here once we have them. I'm going to miss it for sure.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:26 am
We bought a small fixer upper house in a large city in the midwest. Its not fancy but its good for our family size and its affordable. Its not a cheap area but much less expensive then New York. Property taxes just get higher and higher. We have talked about moving to a smaller OOT community with vouchers like Milwaukee or Cincinnati but we we decided we like the life here even if its more expensive.

Our neighborhood really has a suburban feel in many ways its the best of both worlds. My house has a back yard and my kids can play outside as much as they want.

Within a mile of my house there are 4 parks and 2 more if you go another half a mile in a different direction. I can walk to many places and then if I want to drive there are even more options for stores, restaurants etc.

Also I have a child with very unique educational needs and if we lived in any other community he would either be in public school or in a special ed program bored to tears. Here they really work with him. He has options that dont exist in many other places.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 2:08 pm
I live in the city and life is lovely.
I am not sure the question.
I haven't seen my relatives upstate find their city of happiness.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:58 pm
Raisin, may I ask what city you live in?

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:23 pm
As others have said. Schools, stores, walking... we do have a house upstate where we spend summers, yomim Tovim, and random weekends.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics