Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Did you plan for the ban (shopping bags)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Did you buy permanent shopping bags?
Yes  
 29%  [ 39 ]
No  
 70%  [ 93 ]
Total Votes : 132

cbsp

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:14 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

(1) do you think the following is accurate

(2) do you care?

Quote:
New York residents use 23 billion plastic carryout bags annually. Each bag is only used
for an average of 12 minutes. A significant number of these bags make their way into
the environment causing litter and damaging wildlife. Bags can be found in our
landscape, along our roadways, and in our oceans, rivers and lakes. These bags do
not biodegrade and persist for years.

Where is the quote from and what's its source?

I do care about litter and damaging wildlife. Many people do and are motivated to make changes.

But that's a personal choice. Don't force your cause on me.

I don't want government (state or local, thanks for the correction that NYC was taking this a step further) banning anything and micromanaging how businesses run.

Don't tell me I'll "get used to it"

Don't give me great ideas of where I should now spend my money in order to duplicate a functionality that already exists.

The hypocrisy of how this is being implemented (what, pray tell, is wrong with paper bags?) shows that there is an unstated agenda...

Cheiny

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:15 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
people protested.

I don’t understand how this is happening again. The last time they made noises about doing this, people protested and our reps got it undone. Why now again.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:24 pm
mha3484 wrote:
We have had this bag bag in Chicago for a few years and one of the neighboring suburbs that has the large kosher supermarket/target had it before that. Everyone freaked out for no reason. They stores found some loophole that if the bag is strong enough to be reused they can keep giving them out so they made a much much thicker plastic bag. I re use these bags multiple times since they dont rip like the old plastic bags that were really flimsy.

I prefer paper like trader joes/whole foods or a different grocery store in my area give out.

I think the stores here in NY will use this new law just to make more money, as they will be charging for bags now.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:27 pm
gamanit wrote:
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying completely. I'm saying that the entire ban will now only apply to supermarkets and chain stores and will now no longer affect me very much.

I have a feeling all the other stores will take advantage of shoppers’ ignorance of the details of the law, and start charging for the bags anyway,

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:59 pm
cbsp wrote:

I do care about litter and damaging wildlife. Many people do and are motivated to make changes.

I don't want government (state or local, thanks for the correction that NYC was taking this a step further) banning anything and micromanaging how businesses run.

Don't give me great ideas of where I should now spend my money in order to duplicate a functionality that already exists.

The hypocrisy of how this is being implemented (what, pray tell, is wrong with paper bags?) shows that there is an unstated agenda...

Google tells me its from New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).

When you're talking about the environment and quality of life issues, there's no such thing as you do what you want, I'll do what I want, because what you do affects me.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 4:06 pm
cbsp wrote:

Its the "Revised Regulatory Impact Statement" 6 NYCRR Part 351 Plastic Bag Reduction, Reuse and Recycling

There is no "unstated agenda" - all you need to do is read the agenda.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/ma.....l.pdf

Titles 27 and 28 are intended to jointly move
consumers away from the wasteful and environmentally damaging practice of using an
overabundance of plastic carryout bags and provide for a convenient system of
collection for consumers of all film plastic. Film plastic is a highly recyclable commodity,
if kept separate from the fiber and container recycling stream and processed for
recycling separately. In a materials processing facility setting, film plastic jams recycling
equipment, and has an adverse effect on the marketability of the other more voluminous
recyclables as film plastic is a contaminant

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 5:25 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I think the stores here in NY will use this new law just to make more money, as they will be charging for bags now.

You mean the 5 cents for the paper bags?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 5:29 pm
I saw an idea for Purim to use a paper bag and put in an apple and a water bottle and write on a paper, megillah style, that the new law of today's Achashveirosh and Haman to not permit the giving out of plastic bags therefore we will have to give out paper bags! And one kid will dress up like the mayor and the other one like the governor

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 5:30 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Anyone required to collect sales tax is subject to the ban.

STORES are required to make reusable bags available to customers. Among other things.

That is correct as the law is imposing requirements to provide reusable bags for sale and recycling facilities on larger establishments - e.g. "store" as defined in the regulations versus any "seller" who is not permitted to provide non-recyclable bags for free.

In any many ways, this is moot as most non-food stores supply bags for free just as they always have. Their profit margin is higher than a grocery store and generally you only need one shopping bag to carry home purchases versus multiple bags from a grocery shopping trip.

I really don't understand why people are running around like Chicken Little. As people who actually LIVE in areas where there are no free bags anymore - or never were - it really is not a big deal. People adjust pretty quickly and honestly if your world is turned topsy turvy by such a minor adjustment, you are indeed lucky to have lived such a stress free life that the end of free plastic bags is a major catastrophe.

And yet no matter how many people provide ways to easily adapt to the change based on their own real life experiences, the geshrying continues. LOL

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:28 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
But first they came for the shopping bags and nobody protested....

Well that Godwinned quickly

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:49 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I saw an idea for Purim to use a paper bag and put in an apple and a water bottle and write on a paper, megillah style, that the new law of today's Achashveirosh and Haman to not permit the giving out of plastic bags therefore we will have to give out paper bags! And one kid will dress up like the mayor and the other one like the governor
Water bottle? Are you insane? You're changing one plastic for the other! Oy vey!

naomi2

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:20 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Rain and paper bags.

Lets see how that works.

I think I'll stop shopping. I'll just sit on the curb collecting all different kinds of merchandise that were tumbling out of ripped, wet bags.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:39 pm
As someone who’s lived in Israel, England and Canada this conversation is pretty pathetic!

Oh no, you can’t use disposable plastic bags, so sad!

amother
Red

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:46 pm
I use plastic bags and reuse them numerous times.
Better than paying for a box of plastic bags like for small garbage cans or whatever.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:27 pm

Well they might want to add another food type. Water is NOT considered a min, and can not be used in a Shalach Manos, unless you have 2 other minim.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:44 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Well they might want to add another food type. Water is NOT considered a min, and can not be used in a Shalach Manos, unless you have 2 other minim.

Really???

gamanit

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:51 pm
Really???

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics