Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How Much Can a Professional Mommy Make?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:16 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Yeah .. Involving your DH under any circumstance whatsoever — even if your boss is completely mistreating you — would be completely unprofessional in the “real” world . You’d go to HR to try to fix it or leave . As long as you realize that.

Exactly. In the real world, HR exists. In my world, it's everyone for themselves.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
In one of my first jobs, I was making 24k. My boss took his family on a trip to Paris and rented a nice apartment for them there. I was fuming - he pays me so little and then takes his family on such a nice trip.

Obviously the two are not at all related - my salary and his personal spending. He was only paying me what the market would bear, I.e what I would stay for.

I also engaged in the discussion - a job in Manhattan would pay me 80k, and they were like - no, it wouldn't, you should be happy to have this job ...

Then I left, and went to Manhattan, and got a job making 80k. And the hours weren't different, and I still got home 2 hrs before Shabbos, and everything was fine. And by the way, there is a lot of remote working in Manhattan these days - almost everyone where I am works remotely one day a week.

So basically, we are prisoners of our own imaginations. We build prisons and hold the keys, but won't come out.

Many bosses have told me that they won't raise a worker (or would raise by a few thousand) but if they had to hire a new person they would need to pay double.

Lastly, when my babysitter complained about her vacation days, I said - this is a free market. Feel free to go to the playground and chat with the mothers and get a better gig. Even though she was amazing, I wasn't going to build a prison for her or allow her to build her own. That goes against what I believe.

Similar story here.
But did you start at 80 straight away?
I didn't. I had to work my way up. (Although I did make closer to 80 than to 24 whej I started)

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
[EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION]

My boss likes to think there's no way that I, as a "yiddishe Mommy," could ever make over $60,000 in an office without getting a full time job in a non Jewish company in Manhattan. Part of his cheshbon in saying this is that Mommies need to take off for chumash plays, sick days, Chol HaMoed, Purim, etc. (My husband takes off all of the above besides chumash plays, which are not yet relevant for our young family.) Also, because sometimes we go on maternity leave. In other words, we're not as reliable. On the flip side, he prefers Jewish women over non-jewish women who are more difficult to work with, and perhaps also refrains from hiring men because women are better multitaskers. So I'm not sure how this all balances out, but he's still sticking to the narrative that "no Lakewood Mommy who doesn't have a degree or her own business is making over $60K."

I work as a Director of Marketing and bring a ton of value to my company. I have nearly 5 years experience and work 30 hour weeks.

What's your opinion on this?

I read this post and skimmed most of the replies.

If your boss really said this to you, its grounds for a lawsuit for gender discrimination. He feels he can get away with it because frum Jews don't take Jews to court.

My opinion is, as it often is with these heimish workplaces and pay discrimination, to leave the heimish work sector and get a job in a secular workplace.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is this true even when the hours are 3/4 of full time? That doesn't seem fair - I get the same amount of work done in less time, because I know I need to leave. Of course there would be additional benefit if I stayed longer, but not exponentially...

So I work for a professional company. When I switched from FT to 3/4 my pay got reduced to 3/4 exactly. My workload OTOH is about the same, I am not assigned 3/4 of the work of FT coworkers.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics