Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help, I am freaking out!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:31 pm
So yesterday my 8 yr old daughter found my razor in the bathroom and shaved her upper lip herself. She has a mustache but nothing too terrible. I always figured I would take her for a waxing when she got a little older and complained about it. Now that she did this I am so nervous that the hair will grow back darker than it was and be much coarser and more noticeable. Do you think this one time occurrence will effect the hair right away? I guess if it comes back worse we can take her for waxing...I never thought it bothered her too much. It was a combination of curiosity as to how the razor works and annoyance of the hair on her upper lip. I told her you are not meant to shave your face. If it bothers her we have other means of hair removal. What would you all suggest in this situation and at this age?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:34 pm
Tell her how worried you are that she used a knife on her face. Validate that you see how the little hairs on her upper lip really bother her. Tell her you'd like to figure out a safer way to have the hair removed if she wants it.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:34 pm
Not such a big deal. Plenty of people shave their face. If she is only 8 and probably most of her friends don't have upper lip hair it can be embarassing, I would offer her ways to get rid of it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:35 pm
Your title made me freak out! I would buy either bleach or sally hansen wax strips and do it at home. When shes a preteen/teen you can consider electrolysis....

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:36 pm
Shaving does not make your hair grow back thicker after you shave, it really isn’t. Shaving does not remove the hair entirely, leaving the hair strand and root under your skin. It just make look thicker because the razor cuts a blunt edge, but it is not. It may also look darker if it hasn't been bleached by the sun, but it is not. It is the same hair that is under your skin...

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:34 pm
I once tried it myself and it grew back regular so don’t freak out. Just get her bleach for next time...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 10:15 am
Thanks for all your responses. I will wait and see how it grows back. Hopefully it will still be unnoticeable. at an older age I will probably take her for waxing.

dankbar

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 10:32 am
I think threading at this age would be easier for her than waxing. I think kids this age don't wax yet

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 10:38 am
My daughter started waxing Her upper lip at 8/9. Took her when she asked.

FTR I’m not a prima dona or into my looks and never spoke about it. She’s dark and has dark hair and asked for it. I gave her Tylenol the first time but she was fine...

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 10:47 am
nchr wrote:
Shaving does not make your hair grow back thicker after you shave, it really isn’t. Shaving does not remove the hair entirely, leaving the hair strand and root under your skin. It just make look thicker because the razor cuts a blunt edge, but it is not. It may also look darker if it hasn't been bleached by the sun, but it is not. It is the same hair that is under your skin...

This.

Think about it. How could something done above the surface of the skin affect hair follicles? In fact, if shaving made hair grow back thicker, wouldn't balding men all just shave their heads, then have luxurious locks?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 11:06 am
I don’t understand why you are waiting till she is older if she’s embarrassed about it. Why not wax or at least bleach it now?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 6:22 pm
nchr wrote:

Shaving definitely does make it grow back thicker

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 6:40 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Shaving definitely does make it grow back thicker

No, it does not.

Here is some information from the Mayo Clinic (https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/hair-removal/faq-20058427)
Mayo Clinic wrote:
No — shaving hair doesn't change its thickness, color or rate of growth.

Shaving facial or body hair gives the hair a blunt tip. The tip might feel coarse or "stubbly" for a time as it grows out. During this phase, the hair might be more noticeable and perhaps appear darker or thicker — but it's not.

Or from this mythbusting website (http://the.dermaflash.com/mythbusting-does-shaving-make-your-hair-grow-back-thicker-and-coarser/)

licensed esthetician wrote:
“Cutting or shaving slices away the tip of a hair, which is tapered at the end. Those short hairs, when they continue to grow past the surface of the skin aren’t tapered anymore, so we perceive this temporary process to be that the hair is thicker,” she explains.

So while the stubble of a sliced hair will feel different than the ends of longer tapered hair, they’re not actually different; and those short, sliced hairs will taper eventually.

“Shaving doesn’t affect the hair follicle, and doesn’t affect how fast the hair will come back,” Mattioli stresses.

Or this medical group (https://reliantmedicalgroup.org/blog/2019/03/21/medical-mythbuster-does-shaving-make-your-hair-grow-back-thicker-and-darker/)

wrote:
This is a myth that has been around a long time…perhaps as long as people have been shaving. However, the answer is no; shaving doesn’t change the thickness, rate of growth, or color of your hair. This is because shaving has no effect on the hair follicle that grows the hair.

Shaving does give hair a blunter tip than the typical tapered end of a longer hair. This makes it feel more “stubbly” as it grows out but doesn’t change the thickness. So don’t worry about making your hair thicker or darker by shaving.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 6:46 pm
Op, this sounds like something I might have done as a child.
I was super self conscious about my body and my mother is just a bit tuned out when it comes to these things. I've experimented a lot myself - don't worry, nothing is going to happen.
It is however a big indication that she feels uncomfortable with her facial hair and wants it removed. She may not have felt comfortable broaching the subject with you, but now that you know it bothers her, please please have a conversation with her and find a way to remove her facial hair that will make both of you happy.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:08 pm
Am I the only one who is terrified at the thought of an 8 year old experimenting with a razor blade! Seriously all cosmetic concerns aside I thought this post would be about a safety concern. This could have gone very wrong.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:11 pm
It may not technically grow back thicker but for many ladies it's does look that way. I wouldn't tell a girl to shave her stache. OP I would be worried too. I think she will have to wait till it grows long enough and then let her wax it till she is old enough for permanent things. Being the hairy girl in class is the worst. (Speaking from experience)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:39 pm
She does have some darker hair on the sides of her upper lip. Unfortunately she shaved only the middle under her nose. It's definitely in my radar to discuss and manage but I thought that 8 was a bit young to start. I thought that I would leave it alone until age 10 at least. I am still unsure about the right age to start waxing it. I don't think bleaching is a good option for her since blind hairs might look strange in her. I am still undecided.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics