Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Los Angeles Valley Schools

ahova

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 12:02 pm
Hello! We are possibly moving to the Valley. Does anyone have current knowledge of the Elementary and High schools? We are a modern orthodox family with 5 kids ages 6-16. Thanks!

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:48 pm
In the Valley you have Emek - Pre-school and Elementary. For High School there is Valley Torah for boys and girls on separate campuses. Emek is more of a community school - there are non shomer Shabbat families there and you may also find sheitel wearing moms there. I believe they are co-ed for younger grades and separate for older grades.

Valley Torah are more on the Right Wing modern orthodox spectrum with many Yeshivish Teachers.

Many modern orthodox families send their children to YULA in the city for High School as it tends to be more their speed and more academic, and the many of the Hebrew staff are modern orthodox and Zionist.

ahova

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 12:23 am
Thank you for this information! Seems like jewish school options there are limited unless we would want the commute.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:31 am
Commuting in LA is very common.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:29 am
there are communities and schools in the west valley too if I recall. Does West Valley Hebrew Academy still exist?

We lived in LA (before kids, so I don't know much about schools) 1996 to 2005 and part of that time we lived in the Valley (North Hollywood).

Other than Emek…. there's Yeshiva Ketana in the Valley, right?

ahova

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:06 am
Online it doesn’t seem like there is much to choose from besides Emek and Valley Torah High School. If anyone knows of other options please let me know. Thanks to all!

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:40 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
there are communities and schools in the west valley too if I recall. Does West Valley Hebrew Academy still exist?

We lived in LA (before kids, so I don't know much about schools) 1996 to 2005 and part of that time we lived in the Valley (North Hollywood).

Other than Emek…. there's Yeshiva Ketana in the Valley, right?

Yeshiva Ketana is not Modern Orthodox - It's a Bais Yaakov with a boys equivalent.

ahova

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:28 pm
Okay good to know, thank you!

monkeys

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 4:38 pm
There’s Yeshiva ketana but it’s not MO.

ahova

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:58 pm
Hmmmm.... no MO there it seems which is too bad!

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 6:22 pm
I’m from north Hollywood and grew up modern orthodox. Kids in my family went to emek or yavneh and yula or valley Torah

ahova

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:04 pm
My situation is a little complicated because one of our children needs to attend a public high school, and we’d like a decent high school where some jewish kids attend. I hear Agoura High is good.
So I need MO school options for 4 of my kids in a city where there is a good high school. Any suggestions appreciated!

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:38 pm
There's always Beverly Hills........I know, expensive. Large Jewish population there.

monkeys

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:51 pm
Have you looked into moving to Pico instead of the valley? There’s a huge MO community here but I don’t know about public schools...

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:01 pm
I second BH school district. Their public schools are fabulous and lots of Jewish students. That will give you far more MO options for your other children.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics