Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Dh has no degree; job opportunities in NY?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:41 pm
My dh has no degree but has a lot of experience in business.
He operated & grew a small business for 8 years; then moved on to online marketing in another company for 8 more years.
He is now the director of online marketing.
He is bh making a decent salary, but there is no more growth/raises in his current office & he wants to look elsewhere.
He has talked to recruiters & applied to jobs, but whenever the lack of college comes up, they lose interest.

(College is not doable now; and he can't re-start from a low salary & build up again like he did for his current job.)

Is he just stuck where he is?
Can he find a vp of marketing job in NY without a degree? Any advice?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:02 pm
Anything is possible. In his situation, his best hope is to network like crazy because the way he will get a job is if someone vouches for him personally and convinces a person to meet him in person so that his achievements and personality sell him.

When I was looking for a job in a new field, I networked like crazy. I didn't ask people for a job which puts them on the spot. I asked them to share their knowledge of the field. I offered to take them out to lunch. Many times, they would give me other names to call - and I would be able to call directly saying that Mr. or Ms X had suggested I call them.

Not meant for you but the next time Imas pooh pooh the importance of a degree, your husband stands an example of someone who is hobbled by the lack of the degree and not just as an entry portion. In today's brutal job market, employers are looking for the easiest ways to cull down number of people to interview or consider and the lack of a degree is an easy way to disqualify. It's not that the college degree is viewed as a way to learn exact job skills but is viewed as ensuring a basic level of certain reading, writing, comprehension skills. Not that your husband lacks these as shown by his job performance but just that it is viewed as disqualifying since a degree in the workplace at a certain level is taken for granted.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My dh has no degree but has a lot of experience in business.
He operated & grew a small business for 8 years; then moved on to online marketing in another company for 8 more years.
He is now the director of online marketing.
He is bh making a decent salary, but there is no more growth/raises in his current office & he wants to look elsewhere.
He has talked to recruiters & applied to jobs, but whenever the lack of college comes up, they lose interest.

(College is not doable now; and he can't re-start from a low salary & build up again like he did for his current job.)

Is he just stuck where he is?
Can he find a vp of marketing job in NY without a degree? Any advice?

Does he have experience with ecommerce?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:27 pm
Amother amethyst yes to everything you said! That piece of paper just stands in his way.
He is networking as much as he can, but hasn't seen results yet.

What do you mean by e-commerce?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Amother amethyst yes to everything you said! That piece of paper just stands in his way.
He is networking as much as he can, but hasn't seen results yet.

What do you mean by e-commerce?

When I was in that situation, I just kept thinking I was planting seeds and they wouldn't bloom immediately.

And you never know what will happen from networking. I applied for a job and I found out after I had gotten it that I had received a recommendation from the company's lawyer who I had never met. But I had met a woman who was friends with him and he based HIS recommendation for me on HER recommending me to him. Very Happy

E-commerce is internet commerce which is considered to have slightly different skill sets than bricks and mortar. It is a huge growth field since even "regular" stores need as strong an internet presence as possible.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:51 pm
OP, look into WGU college for your husband, I mean this seriously. It's meant for working adults and it's set up so you can do the degree from scratch in six months to a year. While you're working. If you are eligible for FAFSA the cost is minimal, and even if you're not it's still not very expensive.

It's regionally accredited and it will be accepted anywhere he would apply. Look into this option.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:54 pm
I am a Director of Online Marketing with no degree and I recently switched jobs. I had multiple job offers after just a few weeks of looking. Is he active on LinkedIn and within the digital marketing communities? My best offers did not come from recruiters but through networking and looking online myself.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 4:04 pm
Yes since he is the director of online marketing, he knows a lot about e-commerce. The company he works for is brick & mortar plus online.

Even online studies is not an option at the moment, unfortunately.

He is on LinkedIn , but not part of digital marketing communities, though he would love to be. He just has not found any yet.
Where did you find those? Any specific ones to recommend?

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 4:21 pm
He must get active on LinkedIn.
There are excellent groups on WhatsApp and Slack. It takes time though to build a reputation, I’ve been commenting for a while so as soon as I was open to opportunities they came to me, I didn’t have to sell myself.
I turned down excellent offers from Wix and Lyft because I didn’t want to commit to the hours, he can apply to both companies, they are actively looking for online marketers.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 4:22 pm
I also turned down a great offer from a marketing company in Princeton, NJ. If he doesn’t mind traveling I can give you their contact info.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 4:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes since he is the director of online marketing, he knows a lot about e-commerce. The company he works for is brick & mortar plus online.

Even online studies is not an option at the moment, unfortunately.

He is on LinkedIn , but not part of digital marketing communities, though he would love to be. He just has not found any yet.
Where did you find those? Any specific ones to recommend?

I might have a position for him.
How can I get his resume?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 4:50 pm
To clarify he is looking for a vp of marketing not director level (he is looking to move up) .
Where can he find these slack/WhatsApp/linkdin groups to network with?
He went to some networking dinners but those are in person & it seems like he needs more networking opportunities .

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To clarify he is looking for a vp of marketing not director level (he is looking to move up) .
He went to some networking dinners but those are in person & it seems like he needs more networking opportunities .

VP/CMO is harder because there’s usually only one at each company. His best options are either joining a large company like Wix or Lyft because there are lots of departments and opportunity for growth, or joining a small company that doesn’t have a full department and he should build it up. That’s what I did, and while it takes more time to build I wasn’t waiting around for a promotion; I am the most senior person.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:30 pm
He built up his current company's department from scratch & now he is the head of the department (under the cmo). But he wants to move up/on to new opportunities as vp not to start from scratch .
If anyone has names of the groups or ways to find them- on slack/WhatsApp I would really appreciate it.

hotzenplotz

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:51 pm
We are looking for someone like your husband.
Please pm to see if the job is a shidduch.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Salary requirement?
I know of a position that will pay 140k
Not sure if that's in his ballpark

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:59 pm
His current salary is way above that, but thank you.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
His current salary is way above that, but thank you.

Be grateful that he is making that much with out a degree.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:35 pm
Saddle brown, I am grateful, but he wants new opportunities to grow.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 11:34 pm
Is he handy?
Handyman, painter, contractor, plumber, sewers......
These r great job with lots of room to grow
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics