Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What to text a close friend who lost her father
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:41 am
A close friend of mine lost her (young) father today. This came as a complete shock to everyone. I would love to send her a comforting text msg but Im not good with words. Can anyone help me? Something comforting and appropriate. Tysm!

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:45 am
She is a close friend? Then don't send a text. Go to the funeral if you are local, and make at least one shiva call. If you do not live close enough to visit, still call after the burial and make arrangements with a local restaurant to send a meal; tell her on the phone you would like to do so. Or ask her husband who is coordinating meals for the family and set it up with them.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:47 am
A text is tacky and inappropriate. Gives the person a message that you couldn't be bothered. If she's that close of a friend and you cannot go to the shiva, make a phone call and talk to her and maybe send something to the Shiva house.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:48 am
watergirl wrote:
She is a close friend? Then don't send a text. Go to the funeral if you are local, and make at least one shiva call. If you do not live close enough to visit, still call after the burial and make arrangements with a local restaurant to send a meal; tell her on the phone you would like to do so. Or ask her husband who is coordinating meals for the family and set it up with them.

She lives local and ofc I will visit, but wanted to also send a text. He passed this morning and I won't be going today or tomorrow for the shiva visit.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:50 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
A text is tacky and inappropriate. Gives the person a message that you couldn't be bothered. If she's that close of a friend and you cannot go to the shiva, make a phone call and talk to her and maybe send something to the Shiva house.

That's what I'm wondering. Is a text inappropriate???

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She lives local and ofc I will visit, but wanted to also send a text. He passed this morning and I won't be going today or tomorrow for the shiva visit.

If you can make it to the levaya, go. And go to the Shiva house. No text necessary.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 8:06 am
Plant a tree in isreal it’s eighteen dollars

Elfrida

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 8:24 am
A lot of people don't check texts etc during shiva. My father got upset that my sisters and I were checking our email, but we pointed out that most of our friends were in Israel (we all live there and had flown in before my mothers petira). They couldn't come to the shiva, so email was how they could be menachen avel.

Even in those circumstances it didn't occur to me to open my computer for the first day or two. When everything is so overwhelming, an email or text doesn't make much impact.

Later in the week I used to read my emails before going to sleep.

If you want to send something, I would stick to the classic, "HaMakom yenachem etchem b'toch sha'ar avlei Tzion v'Yerushalayim", and maybe add "thinking of you" and your name. That will let her know you are thinking of her and give her some support. Comfort is out of place at least until after the levaya.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 8:30 am
I disagree with the above posters.
Sending a text in leu of showing up is in poor taste, but if she is a very close friend, I would definitely send her a text ASAP, keeping it short and sweet.

"I'm so sorry. Sending love"

If you grew up with her and know her dad fairly well, you can add a sentence in between. "Your dad was really a great man"

It is just to let her know that you are thinking of her and care. Better to say less than overdo it. No need for a Megillah.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 8:44 am
You can say, thinking of you and will see you later in the week.
As for the general texting during shiva debate, I have no problem with texting. I sat shiva out of town and didn't answer my phone for two reasons: I didn't always have good reception, and I wouldn't look at my phone if people were there, particularly certain people. So a text was very meaningful.

In this situation, you're a close friend. Which would mean you should be there, etc. but OTOH, she knows your life and that this is what you can do right now, so yes, you are showing up in a way.

happyone

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 8:54 am
honestly , when I sat Shiva I found texts inappropriate. pick up the phone or better yet drop in for a min and give her a hug.

momomany

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:04 am
Dont text. Call.

Zehava

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:08 am
momomany wrote:
Dont text. Call.

Before the levayah? No
As a close friend being at the funeral would mean a lot. Or at least showing up for shivah. Texts are appropriate from acquaintances.

momomany

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:10 am
Zehava wrote:
Before the levayah? No
As a close friend being at the funeral would mean a lot. Or at least showing up for shivah. Texts are appropriate from acquaintances.

I appreciated calls from close friends. At any time. A text regarding the death of a parent especially before the levaya, when its so raw, is in bad taste. If you feel uncomfortable calling then just hold it and you'll talk to her afterwards

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:12 am
happyone wrote:
honestly , when I sat Shiva I found texts inappropriate. pick up the phone or better yet drop in for a min and give her a hug.

Same and I agree. This is not one of those times when a quick text is appropriate.

simba

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:13 am
It's ok to text. If she isn't looking she won't see it and if she is then she will know you are thinking about her at this difficult time.

I'm so sorry. Thinking about you.

miami85

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:14 am
It might depend on your relationship. I lost my father at a young age and if there was something by text (text messages weren't that popular back then) that would've been meaningful and appreciated it would've been "I'm here for you... I'll see you later."

Zehava

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:19 am
momomany wrote:
I appreciated calls from close friends. At any time. A text regarding the death of a parent especially before the levaya, when its so raw, is in bad taste. If you feel uncomfortable calling then just hold it and you'll talk to her afterwards

I didn’t
Texts don’t require an immediate response. Cuts down on the awkwardness. So really you’ve got to know the person.

aimhabanim

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:40 am
I got a few texts from people right after my father was niftar and I appreciated them

happy chick

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:53 am
aimhabanim wrote:
I got a few texts from people right after my father was niftar and I appreciated them

Same. Especially the time in between the passing and the levaya. Just a quick line saying "hugs, I'm thinking of you"
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette