Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
For the mother who can’t stop using phone while driving
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 6:06 pm
This should scare everyone straight

https://vosizneias.com/2020/02.....game/

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 6:20 pm
This is from 2 yeaes ago.
We can all go dig up scary stories, if someone is addicted it won't help.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 6:23 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

Who cares when it happened? Is the danger any less?

NTSB: Driver In Fatal Tesla Crash Was Playing Video Game
February 25, 2020 2:00 pm2

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The story happened 2 years ago. The hearing with Tesla was February 25.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 10:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

And it was a Tesla. He was probably relying on self driving features.

simcha2

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:05 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

Except most people who use their phone when driving aren't addicted, they are just essentially selfish.

(Proof that the ~100% of the women on this site aren't addicted, they don't use their phones on shabbos.)

So yeah, hopefully the horror stories work.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:07 am
simcha2 wrote:
Except most people who use their phone when driving aren't addicted, they are just essentially selfish.

(Proof that the ~100% of the women on this site aren't addicted, they don't use their phones on shabbos.)

Exactly. People are selfish but deny it.

malki2

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:09 am
simcha2 wrote:

Um there’s plenty of Frum men who are addicted to cigarettes, but don’t smoke on Shabbos. Their Yiras Shomayim overrides the addiction. It’s the same with cellphone addiction. Those who use cellphones on Shabbos are not only addicted, they also have issues with their Yiras Shomayim.

simcha2

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:18 am
malki2 wrote:
Um there’s plenty of Frum men who are addicted to cigarettes, but don’t smoke on Shabbos. Their Yiras Shomayim overrides the addiction. It’s the same with cellphone addiction. Those who use cellphones on Shabbos are not only addicted, they also have issues with their Yiras Shomayim.

If they had yiras shamayim they wouldn't be putting others' lives at risk.

It's a justification for selfishness.

(Btw, I'm also in the camp that smoking is assur l'chatchila. So the yiras shamayim argument doesn't really work for me)

malki2

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:24 am
simcha2 wrote:
If they had yiras shamayim they wouldn't be putting others' lives at risk.

It's a justification for selfishness.

(Btw, I'm also in the camp that smoking is assur l'chatchila. So the yiras shamayim argument doesn't really work for me)

Come on. You know that there’s a big difference between potential chillul Shabbos and people being careless with safety. Of course you can relate everything to Yiras Shomayim, but you also can’t lump everything into the same basket. There are levels of Yiras Shomayim. People who are mechalel Shabbos have less than people who don’t, even if they smoke.

simcha2

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:37 am
malki2 wrote:
Come on. You know that there’s a big difference between potential chillul Shabbos and people being careless with safety. Of course you can relate everything to Yiras Shomayim, but you also can’t lump everything into the same basket. There are levels of Yiras Shomayim. People who are mechalel Shabbos have less than people who don’t, even if they smoke.

If someone kills someone because they are texting while driving, you think that's less of an issue than smoking and being mechalel Shabbos?

Being careless with your own health (smoking) shows a huge lack of hakaras hatov to Hashem for the body he gave you. Every time you light up you are denying a gift from Hashem (and violating ushimartem meod).

Every time you text and drive you are willing to harm someone else (who Hashem created).

Both show a lack of yiras shamayim.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:39 am
There are actual psychological phenomena that explain why people use their phones while driving. It's very different from Shabbos.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:44 am
There was just a thread about how slefish such people are, no need to bring it up again.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:53 am
simcha2 wrote:
If someone kills someone because they are texting while driving, you think that's less of an issue than smoking and being mechalel Shabbos?

Being careless with your own health (smoking) shows a huge lack of hakaras hatov to Hashem for the body he gave you. Every time you light up you are denying a gift from Hashem (and violating ushimartem meod).

Every time you text and drive you are willing to harm someone else (who Hashem created).

Smokers almost always harm others' health as well.

Zero yirat shamayim there (unless they were already addicted when it became clear that smoking kills - which was decades ago).

malki2

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 12:10 pm
simcha2 wrote:

Wonderful. But still not the same. There were/are big rabbonim who smoke/smoked, even after they knew it to be unhealthy. Ergo they had no Yiras Shomayim as if they were mechalel Shabbos? Please.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 12:41 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
And it was a Tesla. He was probably relying on self driving features.

Right so you’re saying using a cell phone in a regular car is much less dangerous, right?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 12:43 pm
malki2 wrote:
Wonderful. But still not the same. There were/are big rabbonim who smoke/smoked, even after they knew it to be unhealthy. Ergo they had no Yiras Shomayim as if they were mechalel Shabbos? Please.

Rabbanim over a certain age did not know smoking was dangerous, and once it came out that smoking is dangerous they were already severely addicted. And we all know how hard it is to stop.

But anyone younger than that who started smoking with the full knowledge that it endangers himself and others? No, he doesn't have yiras shamayim.

malki2

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 12:54 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Rabbanim over a certain age did not know smoking was dangerous, and once it came out that smoking is dangerous they were already severely addicted. And we all know how hard it is to stop.

But anyone younger than that who started smoking with the full knowledge that it endangers himself and others? No, he doesn't have yiras shamayim.

Somehow those severely addicted rabbonim never smoked on Shabbos, yet they continued to smoke even after they knew how harmful it was. Please explain that.

Also, someone who doesn't turn on his blinker when making a turn is violating Dina D'Malchusa Dina. Also he is potentially causing harm to others. So he does not have Yiras Shomayim either. Every transgression in the Torah is on the same level as Chillul Shabbos with regards to the lack of Yiras Shomayim that the transgressor possesses.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 1:03 pm
malki2 wrote:
Somehow those severely addicted rabbonim never smoked on Shabbos, yet they continued to smoke even after they knew how harmful it was. Please explain that.

Also, someone who doesn't turn on his blinker when making a turn is violating Dina D'Malchusa Dina. Also he is potentially causing harm to others. So he does not have Yiras Shomayim either. Every transgression in the Torah is on the same level as Chillul Shabbos with regards to the lack of Yiras Shomayim that the transgressor possesses.

That is true but when you get used to not smoking one day a week your body survives it for that one day a week, even if you suffer.

Anyways if you want poke holes in me being DLZ on rabbanim be my guest. I don't blame older rabbanim who were addicted before they knew it was wrong, but be my guest if you want to.

I don't think you can compare anyone who started smoking lechatchila knowing that it is harmful.

Any transgression that puts others' lives at risk is a major lack of yiras shamayim. Not every transgression is on the same level.

I agree that very few people today have true yiras shamayim.

malki2

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 1:10 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
That is true but when you get used to not smoking one day a week your body survives it for that one day a week, even if you suffer.

Anyways if you want poke holes in me being DLZ on rabbanim be my guest. I don't blame older rabbanim who were addicted before they knew it was wrong, but be my guest if you want to.

I don't think you can compare anyone who started smoking lechatchila knowing that it is harmful.

Any transgression that puts others' lives at risk is a major lack of yiras shamayim. Not every transgression is on the same level.

I agree that very few people today have true yiras shamayim.

When it was a 3-day Yom Tov they went 3 days without smoking. And it didn't bother them then either, although they ran for the cigarette the second Shabbos or Yom Tov went out. I know because my father used to smoke.
I'm not trying to be annoying. I'm just trying to get across to you the point that Yiras Shomayim is a huge spectrum. It's not binary. You can't compare a traffic violation to Shabbos. And that's all I have to say.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics