Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is car seat research really valid?
Previous  1  2  3  4

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:57 am
gamanit wrote:
Crying babies are distracting even if the driver doesn't need to care for them. The question is if the mother has already tried everything to calm her baby down while leaving the baby strapped in, should she continue leaving the screaming baby in the car seat thereby increasing the chances of a collision or temporarily take out the baby to get the screaming to stop.

Just want to mention that a crying baby is less distracting than a bunch of squabbling children who use actual words to nag, whine, and argue Smile

gamanit

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:04 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Just want to mention that a crying baby is less distracting than a bunch of squabbling children who use actual words to nag, whine, and argue Smile

You would think so but that's actually incorrect. Sirens were actually designed to mimic the sound of crying since it's embedded in our psyche to react strongly to it. On a psychological level you can tune out whining better than crying.

https://www.npr.org/sections/h.....larms

Sebastian

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:15 am
Most bblabies dont cry in car seats...not sure what you are trying to say

saw50st8

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 2:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sound logic there. It is definitely impossible to conduct a study incorrectly if it involves physics in any capacity.

I don't understand your point. A basic knowledge of physics would demonstrate (without conducting detailed studies) that car seats are safer.

Race car drivers wear five point harnesses too.

Imperfect studies doesn't mean that they aren't useful.

miami85

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 2:32 pm
My question for a lot of these safety tests is that they are based on full-speed, head-on impact. They don't account for a lot of accidents that occur from at-rest (stop light/sign), brakes being applied, roll-overs, and only a handful of independent tests from like Consumer Reports/Dateline that do an off-center head-on collision, but it's still a forward-facing-with-full-speed test, I.e. only one set of variables changed, where as laws of vectors and friction can change the results of a crash significantly. I know the "statistics" about coats in carseats and I understand that the "puff goes away in a crash" but I don't think they fully incorporate the friction and other bulk of the material in a crash. If a child shouldn't wear a coat with a 5-pt harness, what about adults in a shoulder belt?

Last edited by miami85 on Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 2:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sound logic there. It is definitely impossible to conduct a study incorrectly if it involves physics in any capacity.

what about seat belts vs no seat belts?

california2

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:31 am
Of course there's research but likely won't convince the reluctant. For unfunded research see:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....8848/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26308123

Yes, car seats are safer than lap belts for <45 pounds. And definitely safer than nothing. These articles rely on the NTHSB which is similar to the requested study; looks children in cars where parents "don't anyway" use carseats, compared to those who do, in major accidents.

These studies were not designed to answer the question of what happens in fender benders/minor accidents. I bet the data are similar. Even if NOT, I'd rather accept the risk of increased bruising in minor accidents but decreased fatality in major ones.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:55 am
Truly if any sane individual read this thread, they would think it is satire.

Are there actually people who think it is safer to be unrestrained rather than to be in a seat belt of some kind tethered so that one isn't either thrown from the car completely or hurtles in space of hits one's head on whatever is in front - seat or windshield.

Car seats or other restraints are tested to determine how they perform in action - I.e. whether latches hold and there are no tests needed to determine whether someone is safer in a crash without a seat belt because that is a given. Accident statistics based on any kind of seat belt or car seat bear this out WITHOUT a sophisticated study.

Car seat dummies can be quite sophisticated in terms of measuring pressure on different parts of the body.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 10:03 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I don't understand your point. A basic knowledge of physics would demonstrate (without conducting detailed studies) that car seats are safer.

Race car drivers wear five point harnesses too.

Imperfect studies doesn't mean that they aren't useful.

This. Can't Believe It

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 12:39 pm
Quote:
A basic knowledge of physics would demonstrate (without conducting detailed studies) that car seats are safer.

Safer than what?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 8:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Quote:
A basic knowledge of physics would demonstrate (without conducting detailed studies) that car seats are safer.

Safer than what?

Than no car seat.

Also, a basic understanding of physics and biology would explain why a car seat is safer than a seat belt for young children (based on where the restraint will pull on a child).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:13 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Than no car seat.

Also, a basic understanding of physics and biology would explain why a car seat is safer than a seat belt for young children (based on where the restraint will pull on a child).

But is it safer than a built in five point harness? Is it that much safer than a different car seat?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics