Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Organ donation in halacha

Just One

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 3:54 am
Organ donation is an amazing thing. The fact that in death one person can literally give life to another is the most beautiful act of giving. Therefore it's always bothered me that organ donation after death is forbidden in halacha. At the same time there are so many frum Jews waiting for donations. How can we feel comfortable taking while not being able to give back?
I would love to be ok with it. Please provide perspective!

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:00 am
https://hods.org/ - halachic organ donor society

Last edited by shabbatiscoming on Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total

kiwi strawberry

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:02 am
I've always just looked at it from a moshiach perspective. When moshiach comes doesn't everyone or at least whoever is worthy get techias hameisim, and become alive in the fullest sense? A person can't be alive without their organs, especially the vital ones.

Also we are not supposed to tamper with a meis. Taking organs out is tampering..

Also one thing I haven't understood about organ donation for vital organs-dont they need the organs to be coming live? So that means that the person wasnt 100% dead. They were brain dead and on a ventilator and everything and according to medical opinion have no chance of waking up. So they take their organs which effectively kills them. If that's what it is that is totally forbidden halachically as far as I understand it.

May we never know of such things and be zoche to greet moshiach while we are alive and well iyh!!

Just One

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:12 am
kiwi strawberry wrote:
I've always just looked at it from a moshiach perspective. When moshiach comes doesn't everyone or at least whoever is worthy get techias hameisim, and become alive in the fullest sense? A person can't be alive without their organs, especially the vital ones.

Also we are not supposed to tamper with a meis. Taking organs out is tampering..

Also one thing I haven't understood about organ donation for vital organs-dont they need the organs to be coming live? So that means that the person wasnt 100% dead. They were brain dead and on a ventilator and everything and according to medical opinion have no chance of waking up. So they take their organs which effectively kills them. If that's what it is that is totally forbidden halachically as far as I understand it.

May we never know of such things and be zoche to greet moshiach while we are alive and well iyh!!

It says that by the geula all dead bodies will be built up again. Within a short time after dying the body disintegrates, especially soft tissue. So hashem will be supplying the dead with new lungs, livers etc anyways...
I don't understand how this negates the importance of saving a life right now.
Not all organ donations are from people who were brain dead. Organs can be recovered from dead people within a certain amount of time. That's why people carry around organ donation cards with them

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:20 am
Hello... Halakhic Organ Donor Society... check it out...

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:27 am
sequoia wrote:
Hello... Halakhic Organ Donor Society... check it out...
thatnks sequoia, I posted the link above. I forgot to write what it was. Im going to go edit my post (thank you for the reminder and for writing it out)

essie14

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:05 am
and in Israel...
https://www.adi.gov.il/en/

Proud card carrying member!

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:08 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
https://hods.org/ - halachic organ donor society

I clicked to post that as well.

simba

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:28 am
So halachically you are allowed to donate an organ. Yes, it's more important to save another life then be buried with your complete body.
The halachic issue is killing someone to get that organ.
The issue arises is making sure the donor is actually dead before taking the organ. There is a rush to get the organ so it's still "alive" for transplant.
The question is what is halachic death? Is it brain or heart? Is it both?
It is something you can discuss with your rabbi and sign up accordingly with hod, link provided above.

Just One

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:35 am
That's so interesting. I always thought organ donation was a no no halachicly. Didn't know there was that other opinion! I find that website too complicated. Would you be able to quote a well known, mainstream rabbi who approves of it?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:39 am
The reason it's halachicaly not allowed is because most organ donors or technically still alive when their organs are taken. They're brain dead on a ventilator. It's not halachicaly dead and you essentially kill them to take their organs, otherwise the organs are not viable.

simba

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:41 am
Just One wrote:
That's so interesting. I always thought organ donation was a no no halachicly. Didn't know there was that other opinion! I find that website too complicated. Would you be able to quote a well known, mainstream rabbi who approves of it?

https://hods.org/about-hods/orthodox-rabbis/

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 12:16 pm
Did none of you see that Soon By You episode where Noa is working at HODS (and she meets Jacob there)?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 3:25 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
The reason it's halachicaly not allowed is because most organ donors or technically still alive when their organs are taken. They're brain dead on a ventilator. It's not halachicaly dead and you essentially kill them to take their organs, otherwise the organs are not viable.
Then what do you say about all of the rabbanim on the website that do allow it?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 3:28 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Then what do you say about all of the rabbanim on the website that do allow it?

I didn't read it. But many organs don't kill a person when it gets taken out. They might want to donate their non vital organs like eyes, liver, organs that you can essentially live without.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:16 pm
[quote="amother [ Saddlebrown ]"]I didn't read it. But many organs don't kill a person when it gets taken out. They might want to donate their non vital organs like eyes, liver, organs that you can essentially live without.[/quote

You can live without a liver??
Did you mean kidney?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:22 pm
[quote="amother [ Gray ]"]
I didn't read it. But many organs don't kill a person when it gets taken out. They might want to donate their non vital organs like eyes, liver, organs that you can essentially live without.[/quote

Did you mean kidney?

I meant to say that there are small organs that if you remove them from a brain dead person, they don't die. Unlike when you take out a vital organ.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:25 pm
I didn't read it. But many organs don't kill a person when it gets taken out. They might want to donate their non vital organs like eyes, liver, organs that you can essentially live without.[/quote

Did you mean kidney?

You can donate part of your liver. If it is perfectly healthy it will graft onto the recipient, and eventually regenerate in the donor. Our bodies are amazing!

I'm just sad that I cannot donate anything because of my own health issues. I wouldn't wish my wonky body parts on anybody.

As far as what constitutes halachic death, that is something for a big Rav with a capital R, who specializes in medical ethics. These rabbis are also often doctors with a full medical background, so they know that each case is individual, and are very careful before they give a ruling.*

Nobody is going around yanking out kidneys willy-nilly, just because you happen to be in a coma.

*To demonstrate how important medical ethics is, it took no less than four rabbis to come to the conclusion that I was not allowed to fast on T b'Av and YK. One rabbi to bring the shaila, and 3 to talk with my doctor, research my medication, and consult with each other.

rgh

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:31 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

As far as what constitutes halachic death, that is something for a big Rav with a capital R, who specializes in medical ethics. These rabbis are also often doctors with a full medical background, so they know that each case is individual, and are very careful before they give a ruling.*

Nobody is going around yanking out kidneys willy-nilly, just because you happen to be in a coma.

This. It's a fascinating conversation and by all means let's discuss.
But I just wanted it point out that halachic death and organ harvesting are hugely complicated and controversial topics.

Many great Rabbis have debated the subject and written teshuvot, and there is no one clear consensus. (Like most things in life lol.)

So we can discuss and debate and bring proofs but we should be aware that it is way above any of our heads to actually decide.

Now carry on. Very Happy

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:34 pm

Did you mean kidney?

In most cases, just a piece of a healthy liver is enough for transplant.
And a brain dead person can live without a liver.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics