Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Vouchers in Cleveland
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 6:56 pm
I’ve recently heard that the education vouchers in Cleveland may not be renewed? Does anyone have any info?
Tnx!!

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:02 pm
As far as I know it's still up in the air.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:37 pm
The state of Ohio is all in suspense.
The basic gist it's that the Senate and House can't agree on how to move the Edchoice program forward. They're all Republican run, so it's reassuring that at least the vouchers won't likely be cancelled at all, but rather what criteria well be used to decide who is eligible, whether location will still be factored in, or just income. Renewals for existing scholarship students most likely will not be touched, but differences in opinion what to do about the siblings of renewal students... And altogether new applications.

Feel free to contact your state legislators and let them know how important this program is for you!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 2:46 pm
Thanks for your clarification!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 2:48 pm
Do you know when the decision will be made?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 3:51 pm
They only postponed the application period till April 1st so they need to work it out before then!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 6:00 pm
Ok. Thanks again for the info!!

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:36 pm
bump - any updates?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:43 pm
Cincinnati person here. Ohio's EdChoice program remains. Very broadly speaking, the two biggest voucher categories are geographic (you live in a failing public school district) and income (your household is below a certain income).

The most recent bill expanded the income-based voucher program from 200% of the poverty level to 250%.

The criteria for geographic voucher eligibility have been changed. I don't know what the impact was in Cleveland, but I've been told that the main frum community here in Cincinnati can expect to continue to remain geographically eligible for some time, barring new legislation.

https://www.thecentersquare.co......html

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:47 pm
thank you!

amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Cincinnati person here. Ohio's EdChoice program remains. Very broadly speaking, the two biggest voucher categories are geographic (you live in a failing public school district) and income (your household is below a certain income).

The most recent bill expanded the income-based voucher program from 200% of the poverty level to 250%.

The criteria for geographic voucher eligibility have been changed. I don't know what the impact was in Cleveland, but I've been told that the main frum community here in Cincinnati can expect to continue to remain geographically eligible for some time, barring new legislation.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 5:56 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:

Yup I’ve seen the same. They raised the income level allowing more ppl to be considered low income and therefore not pay additional tuition after the vouchers.
As an aside, all kids already on vouchers will supposedly continue to have the vouchers through 12th grade. I believe the question was abt accepting new kids onto vouchers.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 6:32 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Yup I’ve seen the same. They raised the income level allowing more ppl to be considered low income and therefore not pay additional tuition after the vouchers.
As an aside, all kids already on vouchers will supposedly continue to have the vouchers through 12th grade. I believe the question was abt accepting new kids onto vouchers.

I heard the same regarding kids already in the program, that the legislature was never seriously considering taking vouchers away from existing students.

As for income, there are two different income criteria here.

As I understand, SB 89 only raised the income threshold for voucher eligibility, such that a family with under 250% of the federal poverty level could receive the full voucher amount (where previously, this threshold was 200%, and a family at 200-250% would have received only 75% of the voucher amount).

A separate income threshold is in Ohio Revised Code 3310.13, which forbids charging tuition dollars above the voucher to families under 200% of the FPL. SB 89 did not change this. As far as I can see, this threshold will remain the same. The full bill is here: https://search-prod.lis.state......t=pdf .

The laws governing the program are available here: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3310

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:08 pm
That is correct, Ginger. After 200%, a school can still charge tuition, even if a family is eligible on the expansion program up to 250% (to renew, you can make up to 400% and it's a sliding scale how much of the 4650/6000 voucher one receives).

I think Cleveland schools did worse off on the list of public schools that are failing to get a student on traditional EdChoice, but I don't know for sure, that's what I heard back in November from Rabbi Frank -- I haven't seen the list. Cincinnati frum neighborhoods are not affected.

Applications are delayed for traditional to March 1st instead of February 1st. Last year they changed the rule about application deadline -- you can apply at any time, and as long as there are still vouchers available, even in the middle of the year, one can do so (used to be July 31st). 2 years ago, they added on that people who didn't qualify for EdChoice (already enrolled in private school) can be eligible in any high school grade. Last year, they added on that if one has a sibling who qualified the previous year, they can also be added on.

This year they are also working on creating an online income verification portal, hoping it will be released beginning of March.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 10:16 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
That is correct, Ginger. After 200%, a school can still charge tuition, even if a family is eligible on the expansion program up to 250% (to renew, you can make up to 400% and it's a sliding scale how much of the 4650/6000 voucher one receives).

I think Cleveland schools did worse off on the list of public schools that are failing to get a student on traditional EdChoice, but I don't know for sure, that's what I heard back in November from Rabbi Frank -- I haven't seen the list. Cincinnati frum neighborhoods are not affected.

Applications are delayed for traditional to March 1st instead of February 1st. Last year they changed the rule about application deadline -- you can apply at any time, and as long as there are still vouchers available, even in the middle of the year, one can do so (used to be July 31st). 2 years ago, they added on that people who didn't qualify for EdChoice (already enrolled in private school) can be eligible in any high school grade. Last year, they added on that if one has a sibling who qualified the previous year, they can also be added on.

This year they are also working on creating an online income verification portal, hoping it will be released beginning of March.

Oh no you are right Sad seems like some ppl would be better off on the extension vouchers then traditional:(

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 5:34 am
No, there's no practical difference.
If you live in the right area and make over 200%, eligible for traditional.
If you live in the right area and make under 200%, eligible for traditional with no added tuition.
If you don't live in the right area and make 200-250%, you can get expansion and still owe tuition.
If you don't live in the right area and make under 200%, you can get expansion and not owe tuition.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 5:47 am
Even though the school can charge tuition above 200%, it doesn't mean they will charge the full balance. They can still discount as much as they want. I can't imagine that families at 200-250% are being asked to pay the full tuition balance, given the FPL amounts.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:01 am
For sure! It's up to the schools how much of a scholarship to give and I've heard they are fair. I'm just mentioning that the law prevents the school from collecting more than the voucher in tuition for those under the 200% FPL, no matter which program.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:27 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
For sure! It's up to the schools how much of a scholarship to give and I've heard they are fair. I'm just mentioning that the law prevents the school from collecting more than the voucher in tuition for those under the 200% FPL, no matter which program.

Yup, I agree with your breakdown. I just didn't want Azure or other posters to get unduly discouraged by the clarification.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:41 am
It's a shame that frum families have an incentive to cheer for public schools in their area to remain failing.

Go ahead and throw your tomatoes.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:45 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
It's a shame that frum families have an incentive to cheer for public schools in their area to remain failing.

Go ahead and throw your tomatoes.

Duh it’s a shame, I don’t get your point.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics