Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Ashley Blaker and Leah Forster?
Previous  1  2

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 12:29 pm
Uch. I'm pretty shocked. I don't know what to say. I have been following Ashley online and he's genuinely funny although he can be a bit Sad offensive to Charedi crowds. I understand that he is targeting more MO crowds. But I think he is making a big mistake. Not just for his career - for his life. This really doesn't sit well with me. Sad

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:09 pm
I've seen some of Leah's videos, and think she's funny but not Blaker. Can someone explain the problem? Why is this a bad move? I honestly dont know. Sorry.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 5:11 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I've seen some of Leah's videos, and think she's funny but not Blaker. Can someone explain the problem? Why is this a bad move? I honestly dont know. Sorry.

Leah was the darling of the Chassidishe women's comedy scene - until she started to follow a very different derech - and didn't 'go quietly into the night'.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 6:10 am
I'm more shocked that people here are saying that they would actually go.
Leah is someone who completely left yiddishkiet and is anti everything we stand for. How can you join the open chillul Hashem?

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 6:54 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Leah is someone who completely left yiddishkiet and is anti everything we stand for. How can you join the open chillul Hashem?

And what good does it do to shun her?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 7:18 am
In another thread, people are debating whether or not it is permitted to speak LH about Bernie Sanders, or if it's even LH at all.

How is this different?

A Jew is a Jew.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 7:33 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
In another thread, people are debating whether or not it is permitted to speak LH about Bernie Sanders, or if it's even LH at all.

How is this different?

A Jew is a Jew.
Are you allowed to speak LH on a yid that is publicly totally OTD and not observant at all whilst mocking the world she's coming from? Me wonders.

Petra

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:11 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:

I did not know who she was until this thread. So I looked her up.
Did she completely leave yiddishkeit? What I've seen on the internet is that she does parodies. She has different characters. She does voices.
Do we really know what she does or doesn't do?
Is being a comedienne asur?
I feel bad for her that she had to leave her community. It's such a struggle. She had to leave everything she knew and her family.
I think it is more of a chillul Hashem that she receives hatred from the Jewish community. Of course she is going to stand up for herself.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:20 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Are you allowed to speak LH on a yid that is publicly totally OTD and not observant at all whilst mocking the world she's coming from? Me wonders.

Do please look into it and report back.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 10:34 am
Allowed, no issur of LH. ask your own LOR

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 10:35 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
And what good does it do to shun her?

There is a huge gap between shunning someone and not endorsing or attending her events.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:07 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:

And in what way will mocking inspire her to do teshuvah?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:14 am
Why does is say for the first time ever if she has opened for him before? Or are they going to be doing the show together they whole time? Usually stand up is one at a time...right?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:15 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Allowed, no issur of LH. ask your own LOR

Source?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:32 am
Petra wrote:
I did not know who she was until this thread. So I looked her up.
Did she completely leave yiddishkeit? What I've seen on the internet is that she does parodies. She has different characters. She does voices.
Do we really know what she does or doesn't do?
Is being a comedienne asur?
I feel bad for her that she had to leave her community. It's such a struggle. She had to leave everything she knew and her family.
I think it is more of a chillul Hashem that she receives hatred from the Jewish community. Of course she is going to stand up for herself.

According to an article, she still identifies as Orthodox, keeps kosher and keeps Shabbat.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:33 am
SixOfWands wrote:
According to an article, she still identifies as Orthodox, keeps kosher and keeps Shabbat.

Yes and is gay, so all kosher?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:34 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Source?

(pasted not read)

https://www.halachipedia.com/I....._Hara

Saying Lashon Harah without conditions

The prohibition of Lashon Harah includes speaking about any fellow person – including men, women, children, and relatives, and of any level of Jewish observance. However, if one is a heretic as defined by Jewish law,[45] it is considered commendable to speak negatively about him in order to assure others disassociate themselves from him.[46] Furthermore, if one sees that speaking negatively about someone will help to curtail the damage the subject is intending to bring about unfairly, doing so is permitted – perhaps required even.[47] To be sure, there are three conditions for doing so:
One must be sure that the person in question is attempting to be harmful.
Speaking such Lashon Harah cannot be done out of a motive of hatred.
If there is any other possible way to prevent damage, one must resort to it and avoid speaking Lashon Harah.

Chafetz Chaim (Lashon Hara 3:7)
Cf. Maimonides, Sefer HaMadda, 3:6-9
Chofetz Chaim, Hilchot Lashon Harah 8:5

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:35 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

What do you suggest she should do about that?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:51 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

Quote:
All human beings are created in the image of God and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect (kevod haberiyot). Every Jew is obligated to fulfill the entire range of mitzvot between person and person in relation to persons who are homozexual or have feelings of same zex attraction. Embarrassing, harassing or demeaning someone with a homosexual orientation or same-zex attraction is a violation of Torah prohibitions that embody the deepest values of Judaism.

Statement of Principles on the Place of Jews with a Homozexual Orientation in the Orthodox Community

So yes, all is kosher. And, indeed, our rabbis have unequivocally held that "embarrassing, harassing or demeaning" someone because she is gay is "a violation of Torah prohibitions that embody the deepest values of Judaism."

Things that violate Torah prohibitions have no place here.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:55 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
What do you suggest she should do about that?

Not publicize it and make money off it while making a tremendous chilil Hashem in front of the world
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics