Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
New York - 80 People Under Quarantine Possible Coronavirus

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:47 pm
Over 80 People Under Quarantine For Possible Coronavirus In Nassau.

https://wcbs880.radio.com/arti.....assau

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:10 pm
concerning

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:39 pm
I didn’t read this article but if it’s the same as what I just heard on the radio, they were put into self-isolation just because they had been to Hong Kong recently, not because they had any concerning symptoms. It was more of a just-in-case measure.

There were also 6 people who were suspected of having Coronavirus. 5 of them were negative, and they haven’t said anything about the 6th.

Amarante

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 10:12 pm
It is inevitable that it will spread despite efforts to quarantine. The first community incident has just been reported in Northern California - e.g. a case where there is no link to travel or contact with someone who has been in a hot zone.

A shame that a lot of CDC expertise was gutted in the past few years.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 10:17 pm
In Westchester 25 people are quarantine d they won’t say why or how

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 10:26 pm
According to this doctor, only four US States have verified the CDC test for this virus. Basically most places aren't testing, so we wouldn't even know.

And we're finding out that some people can carry the disease with barely any symptoms, so they're just spreading it. While others are dying and we cannot know a percentage yet of who or why because there are people surviving and also dying who probably don't even know they have it.

Anyone who says we're all clear is speaking while we don't have the facts....

https://twitter.com/DrMattMcCa.....?s=20

WhatFor

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 10:29 pm
Amarante wrote:
It is inevitable that it will spread despite efforts to quarantine. The first community incident has just been reported in Northern California - e.g. a case where there is no link to travel or contact with someone who has been in a hot zone.

A shame that a lot of CDC expertise was gutted in the past few years.

Don't worry! Mike Pence is here to save us with his expertise in (checks notes)... Born again Christianity!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 10:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Over 80 People Under Quarantine For Possible Coronavirus In Nassau.

https://wcbs880.radio.com/arti.....assau

Its only because they had been to china. Theyre being extra cautious and asking them to isolate just in case. Which I think is great

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:43 am
WhatFor wrote:
Don't worry! Mike Pence is here to save us with his expertise in (checks notes)... Born again Christianity!

OK, I don't know what his expertise is but he has some executive experience, is a bright, uflappable sort who seems humble enough to know he needs to find smart, knowledgeable people to work with. I think he's up to the challenge.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 12:42 pm
WhatFor wrote:

Don't be silly. Pence has weighed in on health issues before. And Trump tells us that Pence is "very good on health care. When Mike was governor of Indiana, they've established great health care. They have a great system there, a system that a lot of the other states have really looked to to change their systems.... He's really very expert at the field."

In an op-ed Pence wrote in 2020, criticizing "big government," he wrote, "Time for a quick reality check. Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn’t kill. In fact, 2 out of every three smokers does not die from a smoking related illness and 9 out of ten smokers do not contract lung cancer. This is not to say that smoking is good for you … news flash: smoking is not good for you. If you are reading this article through the blue haze of cigarette smoke you should quit."

The worst HIV outbreak in Indiana's history happened on his watch in 2015, which critics blamed on Pence’s belated response and his opposition to authorizing a needle-exchange program. “I don’t believe effective anti-drug policy involves handing out drug paraphernalia,” he told the Indianapolis Star at the time. Despite assurances from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that it is an effective way to halt the spread of infections and diseases such as HIV and hepatitis B and C, Pence said if state lawmakers tried to send him a bill for a needle-exchange program, he would veto it. As cases spiked, Pence reportedly turned to prayer. He did eventually authorize a needle exchange. In 2018, researchers at Yale University found the epidemic could have been prevented if Pence and state officials had acted faster.

Clearly we have the right man in charge.

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 12:55 pm
Lots of people are in quarantine because they were in Italy when the outbreak occurred there, and are required to be in isolation for 2 weeks upon their return.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 2:26 pm
From the CDC: They have pretty much stopped testing for the virus, because they found out that the last batch was faulty and showing many false negatives. People were being allowed out of quarantine because they tested OK, just to show up at the hospital a week later.

The virus can take up to 3 weeks to show up, so many countries are now advising increasing quarantine times.

If you need me, I'll be in my bunker. Hiding

IrenaFr

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 5:47 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

How ? When kids are in school and Purim is coming ...

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 5:51 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
From the CDC: They have pretty much stopped testing for the virus, because they found out that the last batch was faulty and showing many false negatives. People were being allowed out of quarantine because they tested OK, just to show up at the hospital a week later.

The virus can take up to 3 weeks to show up, so many countries are now advising increasing quarantine times.

For most people, keeping calm and using standard precautions like frequent hand washing is probably fine. While I'm concerned with the US response thus far, I'm certainly not panicking. Yet.

But given your health issues, which you've mentioned, I don't think that extra caution is a bad idea.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 6:01 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
But given your health issues, which you've mentioned, I don't think that extra caution is a bad idea.

I daven a lot.

I asked my doctor about the regular flu shot, and he told me I missed it by 3 weeks. They don't do them anymore this year. Now I daven that I don't get the regular flu, either.

Whenever I apply for a new babysitting job, I always tell them up front that I absolutely cannot look after sick children, not even a common cold. One child came home from gan with a slight fever and a cough. I stayed away the next day, until I heard that his temperature was back to normal. B'H he had a tiny cough, but it cleared up quickly and I didn't get it.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:05 pm
Japan closed all their schools.

Hashem Yishmor.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 6:54 am
A thousand members of young Israel have been self quarantined and some mandatory quarantine from
A fifty year old lawyer who had it and is hospitalized in nyc he attended a bar mitzvah and funeral and went to shul
Also two waiters from Rockland got it from him a few nurses and doctors who treated him the person who drove him to the hospital
Rabbi funk and his wife have it
Purim is canceled in many shuls in Westchester Jewish schools are closed and some public schools

qwerty4

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:02 am
Who is enforcing the quarantine and ensuring that whoever needs to remain isolated actually does so? With Purim coming up I am concerned and wondering whether people who may have been told to isolate as a precaution may ignore that and mingle with the crowds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics