Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Support your local (kosher) Chinese Resturants!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 5:01 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Can't Believe It

That much stupid is painful. THE STUPID, IT BURNS!!! Surprised

I feel so bad for every single person who is impacted by this virus, either physically, mentally, or financially.

Kosher Chinese in restaurants is usually too salty, slimy, and soggy. If you want good food, call ahead and ask the owner to have them prepare the same food they cook for their own families. Don't even bother with the menu, which is Westernized and dumbed down.

Learn how to make your own Chinese food. Chinese Kosher Cooking by Betty S. Goldberg is an excellent book.

I have that book!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 5:11 pm
oh wow op. I didn't understand at all what you meant. I never would have dreamed of a connection with the conovirus.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 5:12 pm
We’re not eating Chinese food. Also not drinking Corona beer anymore. Can’t be too careful. Silly

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 5:26 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Huh? I don't believe that anyone thinks that Chinese food has links to China.

There are Chinese cooks

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 5:50 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
There are Chinese cooks

That live in the vicinity of the take out place, not in China.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 7:33 pm
I totally get avoiding the chinese restaurants because the workers could have traveled recently to china. I haven't been getting my nails or waxing done lately. I think avoiding close contact with someone who may have recently traveled is a smart idea. I do understand that there is so much travel everyday and that there are a lot of people who could have been in contact with someone who had the Coronavirus in any situation. Just praying everyone stays safe and this virus goes away.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:01 pm
Amen seafoam.

Agree with you completely.

Doing the same.

And davening for the same.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:17 pm
Should I be avoiding sushi too? Yknow, Chinese, Japanese, they look the same....

shirachadasha

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:00 pm
כל הבורח מן הכבוד הכבוד רודף אחריו

nchr

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:04 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Not that the cor is stupid, the people avoiding a Canadian takeout store serving Chinese-American food are stupid

This is happening all over, unfortunatley.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:04 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
This has been in the kosher and non-kosher press People fear that ethnically Chinese workers may have visited China or been in contact with others who have, and are staying away. Restaurants that are usually packed are now empty.

OP's point (which I thought was clear) is to continue to patronize local establishments.

I feel bad for these ethnic Chinese people. They must feel the way I felt when the measles outbreak occurred in Monsey. People would avoid us, like we were contaminated

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:31 pm
anyone else in the mood of chinese now Wink ?

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 10:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Notice to the Greater Toronto Area Jewish Community:

Toronto’s only kosher Chinese restaurant, Golden Chopsticks, at Bathurst and Steeles, has served our community for 23 years. Unfortunately the corona virus scare has suddenly endangered its very survival. Many members of our community are staying away for fear of eating Chinese cuisine prepared by cooks who are Canadian residents but who are originally from China. Business is so bad that Golden Chopsticks may be forced to close.

The York Region Health Inspector yearly guarantees the public’s ability to eat at Golden Chopsticks without any concerns and did so again recently. This sign of approval is prominently displayed in the restaurant’s window. As an added precaution all food is now prepared with surgeon’s plastic gloves and clinical masks. Our kosher establishments are part of the fabric of our community as are their proprietors and we should not abandon them. Golden Chopsticks has served our community for many years and we urge you to continue supporting them so they can serve us for many years to come.

https://www.facebook.com/CORKosher/

Do you live in Toronto? This place has had issues for a while,, lost its hechsher for quite some time.
It's not exaclty the best choice around

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 1:37 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Do you live in Toronto? This place has had issues for a while,, lost its hechsher for quite some time.
It's not exaclty the best choice around

Yes I do live in Toronto.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 7:21 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I totally get avoiding the chinese restaurants because the workers could have traveled recently to china. I haven't been getting my nails or waxing done lately. I think avoiding close contact with someone who may have recently traveled is a smart idea. I do understand that there is so much travel everyday and that there are a lot of people who could have been in contact with someone who had the Coronavirus in any situation. Just praying everyone stays safe and this virus goes away.

I know 3 frum ppl in my neighborhood. who very recently traveled to China. They are all in the clothing manufacturing business.
Maybe just avoid everyone.

singleagain

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 7:29 am
Why would you think the workers had even been to China? Maybe they and their families have not lived in China for three generations and they don't even know anyone there. Maybe they they speak Chinese bc that's what they grew up speaking at home and they have grandparents who don't speak English very well.

How friendly are you with your local restaurant owner that you know they've been traveling to a foreign country?

Reminds me of how the Japanese Americans were suspect after Perl Harbor was bombed and they lost everything, even though they were Americans first and completely loyal to America, having very little to do with Japan.

For the records, I hate Chinese food.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 7:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The one in my town may not recover from lack of customers.

So they should offer some specials. Buy one get one free. etc. I also read that El Al is afraid they will lose money and close down because the state of Israel has said not to travel out of the country unless necessary. So Nuuuu, just offer special rates!!!

nchr

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 8:12 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

This is pretty illogical. You'll also need to avoid all Italian restaurants since Italy has an outbreak. But really, most people who work at nail salons do not have the financial security to travel often, and would have been required to quarantine if they travelled recently. It is also unlikely their relatives just decided to come stay with them now as there is a travel ban and immigration probably would not have allowed them in. Also, if people were carrying the virus, we'd see more random community acquired cases and the CDC would be aware of it. Why perpetuate ignorant, racist behavior that serves no purpose and does not offer protection against anything?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 10:46 am
shirachadasha wrote:
כל הבורח מן הכבוד הכבוד רודף אחריו

I like this a lot - but I'm trying to understand the relevance to this thread (and mainly if this was a shade thrown against me).

pause

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 3:31 pm
singleagain wrote:

For the records, I hate Chinese food.

Me too. I know I may need to check my Jewish lineage because of this Wink , but I hate the flavors associated with Chinese food, sweet meat/poultry, fried rice, soy sauce on everything...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics