Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"Text Speak" is destroying the English language. DEBATE
Previous  1  2

How do you feel about text speak?
Text speak is here to stay, get over it.  
 33%  [ 38 ]
Is it really that hard to write "you" instead of "U"?  
 51%  [ 59 ]
FF, you have way too much time on your hands.  
 15%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 115

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:10 pm
duplicate post

Last edited by PinkFridge on Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:11 pm
Is eschewing text speak, particularly outside of texting, a generational thing? What would our youngest members and/or teenagers say?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:13 pm
We don't really have the space constraints of texting here, or the difficulties of sending Morse, so shorthand isn't really needed.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:16 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
We don't really have the space constraints of texting here, or the difficulties of sending Morse, so shorthand isn't really needed.

Yeah, but for those members using a small keyboard, I.e. their phones or the like, I have rachmanus and cut them slack.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:30 pm

Sorry, you missed the joke.

STOP, as used in a telegraph, to indicate the end of the sentence where the period goes, and "stop" as in "we're not using telegraphs on message boards." It was a double meaning type of thing.

I guess I should have used the /humor font.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:33 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Sorry, you missed the joke.

No, I got it. The context of the screenshot is about taking things literally, although perhaps in hindsight it is too obscure for this site.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:38 pm
Ok off topic, are some of these posts written in rainbow colour or am I loosing it??!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:43 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
FF u r so rite! Txt spk is really bad! LOL

You misspelled "RLY". Wink

Some days I wonder if the cat from I CAN HAZ CHEEZBURGER has made an account here.

In my senior year of high school I had college prep English as my last class of the day. The first day of school we were sent home with a thick textbook. I got out a binder and note paper, and did every single page of work sheets, dated at the top. I did one whole year's worth of homework assignments in one night.

Every day I would walk in, put the day's work sheet on the teacher's desk, go to the back of the class, and take a nap on my desk. After a couple of weeks some of the other kids complained that they weren't allowed to take naps, too. The teacher said "When you get an A+ on every single thing you do, plus extra credit, on time every single day, then you can have all the naps you want." #teacherspet. They didn't have a class that was more challenging, so what were they going to do? Keep me awake for nothing?

Meanwhile, I was flunking pre-Algebra. I'm so right brained, it's a miracle I don't fall over. LOL

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:47 pm
No, I got it. The context of the screenshot is about taking things literally, although perhaps in hindsight it is too obscure for this site.

OK, I love Kimmy Schmidt, but I don't recall that specific episode. I was just concerned that I actually hurt your feelings, if you didn't realize I was making a telegraph joke.

I've accidentally hurt people before, when they didn't catch that I was being sarcastic, so I try to clarify when I don't communicate accurately enough for online conversation.

I do find emojis extremely helpful when you are trying to give over tone of voice. Tongue Out

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 6:55 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Ok off topic, are some of these posts written in rainbow colour or am I losing it??!

Yes, they are!

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 6:59 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, I love Kimmy Schmidt, but I don't recall that specific episode. I was just concerned that I actually hurt your feelings, if you didn't realize I was making a telegraph joke.

I've accidentally hurt people before, when they didn't catch that I was being sarcastic, so I try to clarify when I don't communicate accurately enough for online conversation.

I do find emojis extremely helpful when you are trying to give over tone of voice. Tongue Out

I'm sorry for the confusion.

bsy

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:55 pm
I don't mind it so much in texts. But I go crazy when I see it in emails from businesses or professional emails (rather, what's SUPPOSED to be professional). It happened to me today. I sent an email to a business and received a reply with no punctuation and the word "prob" for probably. I was very unimpressed.

penguin

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 10:22 pm
I sometimes type out a whole text, but then in the interest of keeping it under 160 characters I will go back and use text-speak abbreviations (because I and most of my close contacts don't have smart phones, so longer texts sometimes don't come through.)

BH I still have a keyboard on my phone, so I'm fairly comfortable typing with it (and hoping Hashem stops Verizon from taking it away from me!) but I can definitely see why people without keyboards are typing as briefly as possible (even with T9).

On message boards and emails I am only typing on a real (wired!) keyboard so I rarely abbreviate, unless it's to immediate family and I am very tired (and then I might not bother to capitalize either).

In general I do believe in trying to maintain the rules of English (and also the meanings of words such as decimate. Look it up! And please use it properly!)

penguin

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 10:22 pm
I noticed the colors, at first I thought my screen was tired, but then I realized, Adar!!!!!

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 1:05 am
In agreement with many people here, that in texts I find it ok, but it irritates me to no end when a business related text or email is written in shorthand. Like, be professional, ok?
The one word I cannot forgive, even in casual texting is "come" instead of "come". If you know, you know Can't Believe It Banging head TMI

lech lecha08

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 3:26 am
It drives me crazy but I think it's here to stay.
I'm not sure it's an age thing. DH's family has a whatsapp group and his almost-60-yr-old relative uses U, 2, 4, etc

singleagain

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 7:24 am
A captial U in a professional email bothers me more than anything. If you took the time to press shift+u. You could have spelled out the word.

Also, people typing in ALL CAPS in a work email. Please don't shout at me. Whatever happened it's probably not my fault and if it is, it was an accident.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 9:03 am
penguin wrote:

BH I still have a keyboard on my phone, so I'm fairly comfortable typing with it (and hoping Hashem stops Verizon from taking it away from me!) but I can definitely see why people without keyboards are typing as briefly as possible (even with T9).

Even phone keyboards are small.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 1:07 pm
Quote:
The one word I cannot forgive, even in casual texting is "come" instead of "come". If you know, you know Can't Believe It Banging head
OMG my DDIL does this and she's such an innocent sheltered girl I could never tell her anything... You notice it was edited : )

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 9:50 pm
how do you write in color?????? Very Happy I wish more people would write in color !!!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics