Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need some tips for travelling with kids a range of ages

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 2:04 pm
We will BEH be travelling abroad in the spring. DH will be joining us three days into the trip. The five kids accompanying me will range in ages from 1-10. Please give me ideas and tips for having fun and keeping everyone safe.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 2:07 pm
Every child gets their own bag of snacks and activities.
Get pre seats
I like having them behind eachother, 2 next to eachother
seat older one that can help a younger one with activities, but dynamically they don't fight
If a night flight, dress younger ones in pj's, zip up hoodie and natives
neck pillows for all
pack a meal (store bought) to eat at the gate prior to boarding

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 2:10 pm
Xanax. For you. Not for the kids.

OK, maybe for the kids too. ChillPill ChillPill ChillPill ChillPill ChillPill Wink

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:22 pm
Little toys from dollar store. Wrapped.
Box of bandaids (mine played hrs with these)
Small stickers
Color by number
A tiny flashlight
Magna doodle board
Ipad pre loaded (borrow if u have to) and double ear fone jack so 2 kids use at once.
Small healthy snacks for little one. Think cheerios, raisins.
Pez candy is a good treat as little ones take time loading it during take off Smile
Change of t shirt and undies for younger people (u dont need one each not everyone will spill soda and a t shirt shld fit two kids lol)
Water bottles with a little of their fave squash at bottom and add water on plane.

Kids shld be in bright colored t shirts . Easy to spot. Matching comes in handy here
"All orange people belong together " works when a co passenger sees an orange t shirt boy waking away from the orange masses !!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:19 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Small stickers
Color by number
A tiny flashlight
Magna doodle board
Ipad pre loaded (borrow if u have to) and double ear fone jack so 2 kids use at once.
Pez candy is a good treat as little ones take time loading it during take off Smile
Change of t shirt and undies for younger people (u dont need one each not everyone will spill soda and a t shirt shld fit two kids lol)
Water bottles with a little of their fave squash at bottom and add water on plane.

Kids shld be in bright colored t shirts . Easy to spot. Matching comes in handy here
"All orange people belong together " works when a co passenger sees an orange t shirt boy waking away from the orange masses !!!

I love the colored shirt idea, especially since I am most worried about the three days once we get there, not as much the actual trip, since at least you know they can't really get lost in an airplane Wink

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 11:21 am
Pearl has great ideas, listen to her.
Matching is a must, takes the thinking out of where is xyz, and what is he wearing, you just know that today you're looking out for blue.
glow sticks from the dollar store, didn't do it, cuz forgot, but should be real fun when they put the lights out and you could use it as a necklace and take extras for them to give other kids on the plane too.

pause

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 3:51 pm
Write your cell phone number on the underside of each kid's arm or create labels to stick onto them, and teach them proper protocol in case they get lost. (Approach a police officer or security. If they don't see any, a mother with kids. Tell them what to say: "I am lost. Please help me find my mommy. This is her phone number.")

Designate each kid with a job. One is the newsreporter. S/he gets a notebook with a fancy pen and should write down what's happening, where you're going, what they see. Another kid is the photographer and takes pictures of everything (with a spare camera, not your good one). Another kid is the brochure collector. Another kid is the maintenance guy (whoever needs help with anything, he's there to take care).

As amother above said, each kid should wear their own knapsack with snacks and small games that interest them. You pre-determine set times for eating, for example, every hour on the hour (or else they'll be eating the entire time, and unless it's healthy stuff, good luck in dealing with the sugar highs).

Have fun creating silly stories. We have an ongoing one in our family that the kids enjoy very much. Create a "family" with a theme and add chapters according to the current events. It helps make stressful situations lighter when we talk about the family in our silly story, as opposed to people who are present.

And the main thing is for you to keep calm. No matter what. The slightest bit of tenseness on your part will carry over to your kids. Know yourself and what you need to re-charge or give yourself that boost. Good luck and enjoy!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 11:07 pm
Thanks for all the great ideas!

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 12:19 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Small stickers
Color by number
A tiny flashlight
Magna doodle board

Pearl I love these tips but I have got to know. Did you really mean to write put squash in their waterbottles ??!
Squash? Was that a typo? Do kids touch water that has squash in it ?

Teomima

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 2:09 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Pearl I love these tips but I have got to know. Did you really mean to write put squash in their waterbottles ??!
Squash? Was that a typo? Do kids touch water that has squash in it ?

I'm sure she meant squash as in the fruit drink concentrate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics