Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
If there were a vaccine for coronavirus - would you?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:02 pm
[quote="amother [ Periwinkle ]
You really can't make this stuff up.[/quote]

Sure you can. Your source certainly did.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020.....eory/

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:08 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Israel is developing the vaccine. Hashem sends the refuah before the disease. In the end this disease will benefit klal Yisrael, everyone will scrambling to us to get the vaccine.

We say things like this and then we wonder why there is so much antisemitism in the world.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:10 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
We say things like this and then we wonder why there is so much antisemitism in the world.

There are no gentiles on imamother. (I hope...)

nchr

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:17 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Israel is developing the vaccine. Hashem sends the refuah before the disease. In the end this disease will benefit klal Yisrael, everyone will scrambling to us to get the vaccine.

https://m.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCI.....19101

I saw that article as well. Just keep in mind multiple labs have already developed a vaccine against this particular strain of coronavirus. The trick is the safety and efficacy studies.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 7:30 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:

I can see why you are upset because the way I wrote it makes it look like I am just saying "Jews are better than non- Jews". Absolutely not!

However, you don't seem to understand how anti-Semitism works.

Some facts:

1. The world exists to show Hashem's Kavod. In the end the whole world will know of His glory .

2. The Jewish people were the first nation to recognise HaShem and to make it their life mission to promote His glory. We are not an exclusive club, anyone can join.

3. Even something that looks bad and scary like corona virus will eventually come to demonstrate Hashem's Kavod.

Just look at the Purim story, what looked bad turned out to be good.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 7:49 pm
Ken yehi ratzon.
Well said beige.
Thank you.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:10 pm
It would depend on if the vaccine prevented them from being carriers (like measles) or just minimized complications (like pertussis).

Children are at very low risk from coronavirus so unless vaxxing them would protect others, I doubt I’d assume those risks.

If I lived in an epicenter, that might change.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:24 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
It would depend on if the vaccine prevented them from being carriers (like measles) or just minimized complications (like pertussis).

Children are at very low risk from coronavirus so unless vaxxing them would protect others, I doubt I’d assume those risks.

If I lived in an epicenter, that might change.

And for your self?

imasoftov

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:26 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
There are no gentiles on imamother. (I hope...)

The "Vaccinations" forum is accessible without an account, and if someone should happen to Google "If there were a vaccine for coronavirus" (with quotes) this thread is the first result that appears.

Last edited by imasoftov on Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:30 pm
Then everyone should be thanking Israel.

Please, they would be giving a wonderful gift to the whole world!

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:33 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:

Exactly

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:23 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:

Yes, if you phrased it differently then "this disease will benefit klal Israel"

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:54 pm
If I were to travel or cases popped up in my area, then yes right away

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:53 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
And for your self?

I probably would not. I find that for me Vitamin C works remarkably well for most illnesses in large doses, and I'd take my chances with that + Vitamin D.

I tend to like known risks better than unknown, and a vaccine with no history falls into the latter category.

Again, though, that is assuming that the vaccine only provides individual protection. If my vaccinating could slow or prevent transmission to others (I.e. provides actual herd immunity), I would probably take it.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 12:02 am
DH and I will most likely take it. Our age group is at the biggest risk.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 1:48 am
I just saw an article that some Israeli researchers had nearly developed a similar vaccine just before the breakout. They expect to alter it to this specific strain and have it ready in a few weeks, but testing and certification will take 90 days.
If I’m at risk, I’d take it.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 8:54 am
yes Hashem Sends the refuah before the makka

developed by israelis and in this situation?

YES

whether it prevents it entirely (hopefully) or minimizes the symptoms -- both yes

(and I do not take "optional" vaccinations for me and our children--only the ones needed)

nchr

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 9:19 am
imasinger wrote:
Absolutely.

Think logically.

Let's imagine a worst case scenario, in which the vaccine only prevented 50% of people who were exposed from catching the virus. Most of the time, vaccines are way more effective, but this is just to make the point.

And that in 20% of the cases, those who got the vaccine suffered a side effect, 7% of the time, a serious one.

That still would play out like this.

You'd have x% chance of catching a fatal virus without the shot.

You'd have 1/2x% chance if catching the fatal disease with the shot. And 1/10x% chance of a side effect.

So, if you lived in an area where there was a 30% chance you'd get sick without a vaccine, there would be only a 15% chance you'd get sick with the vaccine, and a 98.5% chance you wouldn't get any side effect.

Out of every 100 people, your odds of getting sick without the vaccine would be one in three. With the vaccine, it would be one in six. And the possibility of a problem would be less than 1 in 50.

These odds are very much age dependent. Currently, only about 5% result in respiratory distress, and 2-3% in death. However, the statistics are likely much lower in reality, as many mild and asymptomatic cases are not reported. So the real mortality rate is probably closer to 1% or less.

That being said, even with the current statistics, the mortality rate is about .2-.5% for younger individuals, but as high as 15% for the elderly. Some reports showed that up to 50% of individuals who experience acute respiratory distress die, so it is clear that if someone is in a high risk category that there would be significant benefits from vaccination. However since it is highly contagious, there would be hugely significant benefits from the community all being vaccinated for the entire population.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 5:18 pm
nchr wrote:
These odds are very much age dependent. Currently, only about 5% result in respiratory distress, and 2-3% in death. However, the statistics are likely much lower in reality, as many mild and asymptomatic cases are not reported. So the real mortality rate is probably closer to 1% or less.

That being said, even with the current statistics, the mortality rate is about .2-.5% for younger individuals, but as high as 15% for the elderly. Some reports showed that up to 50% of individuals who experience acute respiratory distress die, so it is clear that if someone is in a high risk category that there would be significant benefits from vaccination. However since it is highly contagious, there would be hugely significant benefits from the community all being vaccinated for the entire population.

That's assuming that the vaccine protects you from being a carrier. Many vaccines just protect the person from getting a severe case, like the whooping cough vaccine. So the coronavirus vaccine may just prevent that 15% of elderly will get a more mild case, but not actually reduce the amount of transmissions. In that case, there would seem to be very little benefit in a younger person getting vaccinated.

nchr

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 7:56 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
That's assuming that the vaccine protects you from being a carrier. Many vaccines just protect the person from getting a severe case, like the whooping cough vaccine. So the coronavirus vaccine may just prevent that 15% of elderly will get a more mild case, but not actually reduce the amount of transmissions. In that case, there would seem to be very little benefit in a younger person getting vaccinated.

We know that asymptomatic carriers or those with mild infection with coronavirus are less likely to spread it to others..
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics