Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Shpitzel for purim
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:46 am
I want to dress up with a shpitzel for Purim, anyone knows where I can get one or how to make it myself where it looks genuine

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:19 am
I did this one time! I took a pirates costume hat - kinda just like a black round bowl hat with some material hanging down in the back (oh and a skull and cross bones in the front lol). Covered the design on the front with the extra material hanging off the back and added a bow. Got SO many compliments lol

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I did this one time! I took a pirates costume hat - kinda just like a black round bowl hat with some material hanging down in the back (oh and a skull and cross bones in the front lol). Covered the design on the front with the extra material hanging off the back and added a bow. Got SO many compliments lol

It doesnt sound like what you're describing is a shpitzel. There's no material hanging off the back and there's no bow.
OP, the people I know that put on a shpitzel for purim either asked a shpitzel wearing person to borrow one or got one at the local bazaar.
It's only funny if you're chassidish btw.

yersp

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:32 am
I have done the following and it looked pretty authentic

Take a black tights and wrap that around your head. Put in on your head and the legs wrap around your head tucking in the edges. Next take a colored tichel, and wrap around your head, put it on, make a knot at the nape of your neck and the ends wrap around your head like you did with the tights tucking in the ends.
Have fun!!

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:55 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
It doesnt sound like what you're describing is a shpitzel. There's no material hanging off the back and there's no bow.
OP, the people I know that put on a shpitzel for purim either asked a shpitzel wearing person to borrow one or got one at the local bazaar.
It's only funny if you're chassidish btw.

You can't buy a shpitzel in a local bazaar.

You can use a black knee high to resemble a shpitzel.
Wear a turban liner or two on top of that.

Buy any 30×30 tichel. Put a handkerchief in the middle so it doesnt slip off. Bend tichel/handkerchief in half.

Put it on top of the liners. Make one knot.

You can also style the tichel round- the way that yesrp explains.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:57 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
You can't buy a shpitzel in a local bazaar.

You can use a black knee high to resemble a shpitzel.
Wear a turban liner or two on top of that.

Buy any 30×30 tichel. Put a handkerchief in the middle so it doesnt slip off. Bend tichel/handkerchief in half.

Put it on top of the liners. Make one knot.

You can also style the tichel round- the way that yesrp explains.

I meant to say the local Satmer or Pupa or other mosdos bazaar in Brooklyn.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:58 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I meant to say the local Satmer or Pupa or other mosdos bazaar in Brooklyn.

No. You can't.

yersp

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:10 am
The bazaars don't sell shpitzlech. Just like you can't find a nice looking shaitel (or any shaitel) there, you won't find any shpitzlech there either. The only way to get an authentic one is to either borrow one from someone who actually wears one or you just make your own like I or amother told you.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:13 am
yersp wrote:
The bazaars don't sell shpitzlech. Just like you can't find a nice looking shaitel (or any shaitel) there, you won't find any shpitzlech there either. The only way to get an authentic one is to either borrow one from someone who actually wears one or you just make your own like I or amother told you.

I think most people dont know what a shpitzel is....

They will call a hat or even covered sheitel a shpitzel. Smile

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:15 am
No. You can't.

Sure you can find a shpitzel in the satmer bazaar. We got there afew times already. You can find everything in the satmer bazaar.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:16 am
yersp wrote:

You can also find old sheitlach in the satmer bazaar. Go to the one in Williamsburg, you can find literally everything there.

yersp

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:19 am
I think most people dont know what a shpitzel is....

They will call a hat or even covered sheitel a shpitzel. Smile

Very Happy. You're right!
For those that are scratching your head (and there are plenty of threads on the subject already Can't Believe It )
The shpitzel is a type of covering that the front part may or may not look like a shaitel and the rest of the head is covered in a tichel.
For more information, just search imamother. And by the way, there's nothing interesting about it in case your curiosity is eating away at you Very Happy

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:30 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Sure you can find a shpitzel in the satmer bazaar. We got there afew times already. You can find everything in the satmer bazaar.

Do you mind posting a picture of it?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 4:50 pm
Thank you yersp,
I will most definitely not buy a shpitzel in bazar, not wearing anything from there on my head, I know a few people who wear shpitzelech but am not comfortable asking,
I'll try your suggestion and see how it looks,

Another point, do you think it is okay dressing up with a shpitzel or is it considered mocking of the levish ?

Last edited by amother on Sun, Mar 01 2020, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 4:53 pm
Thereisonlyone wrote:
Thank you yersp,
I will most definitely not buy a shpitzel in bazar, not wearing anything from there on my head, I know a few people who wear shpitzelech but am not comfortable asking,

Another point, do you think it is okay dressing up with a shpitzel or is it considered mocking of the levish ?

I think it's fine. I don't think any shpitzel wearers find it offensive.
We once dressed up as Meah Shearim burkas, it was hysterical.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 5:36 pm
Thereisonlyone wrote:
Thank you yersp,

Are YOU mocking the levush?

Are you stereotyping? Do you have a comical purim spiel or putting on a mocking accent or making fun of how you think chassidish people speak or behave?

If you answer no to all these questions, it's probably fine for you to wear a shpitzel on Purim.

amother
White

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you yersp,

I'm not chassidish but my sil asked to borrow my shabbos robe and turban for Purim. Her whole family was dressed how they think chasidim dressed. Part of me was very insulted ... The other part is for another conversation at another time.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:15 pm
I have a snood with a velvet band that looks like the hair of a redhead - kind of rust colored. One year I put that on and put a patterned scarf over so the rust looked like a shpitzel (kind of).

BTW there are those who say that what people dress up on Purim indicates something about what they really want to be (with some exceptions I'm sure). So I dressed up in tichlach for a few years until I actually decided to wear them exclusively. So it was not making fun in the least.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My vizhnitz chassidish cousins dressed up as litvish/more modern women one year. It was actually hillarious. The unmarried girls wore tichels that showed a bit of hair in front, they all wore longer earrings etc
They totally did not look themselves-they looked just like me!
And I did not for one second think to be insulted

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:25 am
Pity I just saw this, I would of gladly lent you a brand new Shpitzel,

What did you end up doing?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels