Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where to move to?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 3:12 pm
Dear Israeli amothers,

G-d willing this summer my family and I plan to make aliyah. I have kids ranging in age from tween to toddler. We still are pretty much at a loss for where we want to be.

Some of what we are looking for:

1. We prefer a yishuv over a city. However, we would consider temporarily moving to a city where we can hopefully get the lay of the land and then find the place that is right for us.

2. Yiddishkeit is of utmost importance to us, but we are also very down to earth and "normal." We don't present as fafrumt, but leading a Torah life is what we are all about, and what we hope to show our kids.

3. We'd prefer to immerse ourselves in Israeli society, but at the same time, it would be nice to be near some Anglos, just not too many. I don't want to live in America in Israel.

4. For the foreseeable future, it looks like my DH will be commuting, so the closer we are to the airport, the better.

Any insights would be very much appreciated.
Thank you!

banana123

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 3:23 pm
For some reason Ariel comes to mind....

It's more of a city, though.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 3:25 pm
This won't make or break it for us...but I also prefer green to desert.

EBY

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 3:33 pm
Some ideas:
Not Ayalon, Kochav Hashachar, Mevo Choron

essie14

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 3:37 pm
Mevo Horon comes to mind. I dont know what the availability of housing is there but check the NBN site and there should be a contact there who can help you.
I know several Anglo families who live there, but it's very Israeli.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 3:38 pm
Nof Ayalon
Chashmonaim
Alon Shvut
Karmei Tzur
Kochav Yaackov
Kochav Hashachar
Karnei Shomron
Mevo Choron
Yad Binyamin

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 3:38 pm
EBY wrote:
Some ideas:
Not Ayalon, Kochav Hashachar, Mevo Choron

Good call! These were all on our list. Nof Ayalon we are told has a population of mostly 50/60's which is more of a concern for our kids' sake. They must have peers.

Kochav Hashachar we have been to a number of times, and remains an option, but I am not convinced yet.

Mevo Choron has been recommended. I'll look into it further.

Thanks!

ora_43

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 4:16 pm
A couple things that I think are critical:

1. Hareidi or dati leumi? I'm assuming dati leumi based on the yishuvim you're considering, but just to be sure.

(I know it's not always a simple answer. The question is really, which schools will you be sending your kids to? You'll want the neighborhood to match the school choice, so that they can make friends more easily.)

2. Budget?

There aren't that many great religious communities right near the airport. There's a large DL presence in Lod, but the best thing that can be said about Lod itself is that it's close to other cities. It's not a terrible place, but it's a city with all the worst parts of city living (very few green spaces, high crime, etc). I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point.

Going a little further out, Beit Shemesh is nice, and has both dati and hareidi neighborhoods. Petach Tikva is also an option if you're leaning more toward DL schools (for both cities, you'd want a budget that allows around 6,000 shekels a month in rent, IIRC - and check that with people who actually live there).

Long-term, I'd add Eli to your list.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 4:30 pm
I'm not one to pigeon hole myself, but I think we'd probably fall under "Chardal."

In terms of budget, we will be living off of an American salary. I'd say somewhere about $200k.

Chispin looks amazing, but so so far from everything, especially the airport.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 4:37 pm
Thank you everyone for your input!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions