Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
S/O forbidden to touch someone who’s dying.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 5:35 pm
It made me think of another question.

Doesn’t it scare you?
At least the physical part of dying.

Aren’t you afraid that it’s going to hurt, or that it’s terrifying not knowing how or WHEN you’re going to die?

How are you sure that the neshama lives on?

Elfrida

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:24 pm
I once read an article (secular) that argued that it would be much more terrifying if we did know when we would die, and all of our life would be oriented towards that day.

The thought of pain is scary... but it might not happen. Death can be as simple as going to bed on the evening and not waking g up in the morning. All we can really do is daven that if it is a long drawn out, painful process, we should have the strength and dignity to cope with it.

agreer

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:27 pm
Yes.
Yes.
Because I was trained to believe it as a little kid. But also, it makes more sense. Otherwise this world is completely pointless.

I'm petrified of death. So scared. I don't want to leave my family. I like this world.

I'm afraid I won't be good enough. I'm afraid I'll suffer there,whatever that means.

But I'm absolutely positive that there is a world there.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:30 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Doesn’t it scare you?

Aren’t you afraid that it’s going to hurt, or that it’s terrifying not knowing how or WHEN you’re going to die?

If you’re not sure the neshama lives on, which is the basis of our belief, emunah, and in techiyas maisim, I’d suggest you learn more.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:39 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Faith. Or Emunah, if you prefer the Hebrew.

Chazal bring a logical arguement (a few, actually) to 'prove' it, but our generation tends to want scientific, quantifiable proofs. We're not going to get that about Olam HaBa. No one is going to come back with a report. We just have to let go of logic and believe.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:58 pm
Cheiny wrote:
If you’re not sure the neshama lives on, which is the basis of our belief, emunah, and in techiyas maisim, I’d suggest you learn more.

Unfortunately Cheiny I did have some secular education. It takes a lot to really believe something that just doesn’t make sense. I know we’re supposed to just trust and believe, but it doesn’t make it less terrifying to think about where I will end up being.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:58 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Faith. Or Emunah, if you prefer the Hebrew.

Chazal bring a logical arguement (a few, actually) to 'prove' it, but our generation tends to want scientific, quantifiable proofs. We're not going to get that about Olam HaBa. No one is going to come back with a report. We just have to let go of logic and believe.

You’re right. Thanks. Can you send some things to me? (Ghazal)

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:59 pm
agreer wrote:
Yes.
Yes.
Because I was trained to believe it as a little kid. But also, it makes more sense. Otherwise this world is completely pointless.

I'm petrified of death. So scared. I don't want to leave my family. I like this world.

I'm afraid I won't be good enough. I'm afraid I'll suffer there,whatever that means.

But I'm absolutely positive that there is a world there.

Same. I feel the same way Sad

flowerpower

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:06 pm
My motto- make each day count. Live life to its fullest. Don’t say no to opportunities. Enjoy hashems world. We don’t live one- we die once. We live every day! Don’t be afraid of death. Embrace life.

Last edited by flowerpower on Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Elfrida

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:09 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
You’re right. Thanks. Can you send some things to me? (Ghazal)

I'll try tomorrow. Just going to bed.

hodeez

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:27 pm
Watch the video "life after death" and see if that answers your questions

lucky14

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:31 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Doesn’t it scare you?

Yes. Always. Just reading this post got me anxious and panicked and my mind started to go numb to protect itself. This is my biggest fear and I have serious anxiety about it.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:36 pm
lucky14 wrote:
Yes. Always. Just reading this post got me anxious and panicked and my mind started to go numb to protect itself. This is my biggest fear and I have serious anxiety about it.

Oh no:( I’m so sorry.

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:04 pm
I have had dreams of niftarim & also out of body experience by a procedure so I know there " is Life after Death".
No pain. serenity. The people who were zoche, are living on there happily, faces aglow"
The ones that stay with the loss are the living survivors

Kinor Dovid

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:09 pm
Techiyas Hamaisim, reward and punishment, belief in the Torah that Moishe Rabbeinu brought down from Sinai, olam habba and the coming of Moshiach are all part of the 13 Ikrai Emuna which we are obligated to believe in order to earn olam habba.

It actually makes much more sense to believe than not to believe. If you open your eyes and think for just a few minutes it’s clear there’s a Gd in the world, even if we don’t always understand His ways.

Think of the human body.
Think of the intricacies in creation, in every animal and every blade of grass.
Think of how eternal the Jewish nation is and how they’re somehow still around against all odds.
Think of our gedolim who are brilliant, and practically like angels, so so so much smarter than us who all believed.
I have emunas chachomim, if The Chasam Sofer and Rabi Akiva Aiger and Rabi Shimon Bar Yochai and my whole chain of mesorah believed up until Mt Sinai all believed , then I’m following a strong route.
They were there at Mt Sinai.
My great great great...grandparents.

And just to illustrate a drop of the greatness of our gedolim who all believed, here are two stories that greatly inspire me:
1. The son of the Chasam Sofer had a hard time understanding the idea of shiras hamalachim. He asked his father about it. The Chasam told him that he should stand under his talis during birkas yoitzer hame’oros , and he actually heard it!
2. Rabi Akiva Aiger called a man who refused to give a Get to his wife, to convince him to give that Get. The man still refused everything he heard fell in deaf ears. Rabbi Akiva summoned him and said to him that his wife deserves the Get and that a lady goes free either with a Get from her husband or with the death of her husband. Which way to you prefer it to happen? Will you give her the Get? The man still stubbornly refused. On his way out of Rabi Akiva’s House he fell on the stairs and died on the spot.

All these giants believed. I trust them. They happen to be my ancestors but it makes no difference really.
There are thousands such stories, or millions.
We don’t always understand Gd’s ways and that’s how we earn olam habba, through bechira and through growing and through Emuna. But we know enough to be able to believe that Gd is real, and the Torah is true, and all the 13 Ikrai Emuna are all true and real.
And Olam hazze is actually all fake.
But it’s precious, life is a huge gift, because it has a purpose.
This is where we earn our place in the real world.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:24 pm
Kinor Dovid wrote:
Techiyas Hamaisim, reward and punishment, belief in the Torah that Moishe Rabbeinu brought down from Sinai, olam habba and the coming of Moshiach are all part of the 13 Ikrai Emuna which we are obligated to believe in order to earn olam habba.

It actually makes much more sense to believe than not to believe. If you open your eyes and think for just a few minutes it’s clear there’s a Gd in the world, even if we don’t always understand His ways.

Think of the human body.
Think of the intricacies in creation, in every animal and every blade of grass.
Think of how eternal the Jewish nation is and how they’re somehow still around against all odds.
Think of our gedolim who are brilliant, and practically like angels, so so so much smarter than us who all believed.
I have emunas chachomim, if The Chasam Sofer and Rabi Akiva Aiger and Rabi Shimon Bar Yochai and my whole chain of mesorah believed up until Mt Sinai all believed , then I’m following a strong route.
They were there at Mt Sinai.
My great great great...grandparents.

And just to illustrate a drop of the greatness of our gedolim who all believed, here are two stories that greatly inspire me:
1. The son of the Chasam Sofer had a hard time understanding the idea of shiras hamalachim. He asked his father about it. The Chasam told him that he should stand under his talis during birkas yoitzer hame’oros , and he actually heard it!
2. Rabi Akiva Aiger called a man who refused to give a Get to his wife, to convince him to give that Get. The man still refused everything he heard fell in deaf ears. Rabbi Akiva summoned him and said to him that his wife deserves the Get and that a lady goes free either with a Get from her husband or with the death of her husband. Which way to you prefer it to happen? Will you give her the Get? The man still stubbornly refused. On his way out of Rabi Akiva’s House he fell on the stairs and died on the spot.

All these giants believed. I trust them. They happen to be my ancestors but it makes no difference really.
There are thousands such stories, or millions.
We don’t always understand Gd’s ways and that’s how we earn olam habba, through bechira and through growing and through Emuna. But we know enough to be able to believe that Gd is real, and the Torah is true, and all the 13 Ikrai Emuna are all true and real.
And Olam hazze is actually all fake.
But it’s precious, life is a huge gift, because it has a purpose.
This is where we earn our place in the real world.

Thank you so much for this. This is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you so much again

Kinor Dovid

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 10:49 pm
My pleasure, I was rushing and jotted down just a few thoughts quickly so excuse the typos..
I’m So glad it hit the spot and was helpful.
Hugs sister!

Last edited by Kinor Dovid on Mon, Mar 02 2020, 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Laiya

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 11:13 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Unfortunately Cheiny I did have some secular education. It takes a lot to really believe something that just doesn’t make sense. I know we’re supposed to just trust and believe, but it doesn’t make it less terrifying to think about where I will end up being.

I think that there are concepts that can be true and real on an emotional level and an intuitive level, even though they cannot be measured scientifically. And we can all connect to these truths, if we allow ourselves to be open to them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics