Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
S/o pesach kitchen: tried and true freezable recipes, please

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:37 pm
First yr with a pesach kitchen and upcoming simcha...please share what recipes are good to make ahead and freeze.
no gebrokts please.
Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:38 pm
All baked goods
All soups
All roasts

s c

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 7:45 pm
Ice cream, compote, choc mousse, veg sides like red cabbage, ratatouille. (I freeze potato kugel just fine but not everyone does).

Refine

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:05 pm
Can I freeze shepherds pie after I assemble it in the pan but before I bake it? And then bake it on pesach?

baltomom

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:21 pm
I like to do a lot of prep work in Pesach kitchen, e.g. clean and spice pans of chicken so they're ready to put in the oven when defrosted, "bread" chicken cutlets with Pesach crumbs (layer in a pan with parchment paper between layers) so it can be fried/baked fresh, prepare meatballs or meatloaves and freeze raw to be cooked or baked later. I can't remember for sure, but I think I have frozen shepherd's pie raw.

Cakes and cookies freeze great, also apple/pear kugels/crisps. And of course, ices!

dankbar

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 5:21 am
Cakes, cookies, compotes, meats, chicken, soups. ( chicken, vegetable, butternut, zucchini, cream of chicken, )
egg crepe noodles, falsche fish ( it's chicken balls instead of gefilte fish) apple kugel. Homemade grape juice-must.
patties, breaded cutlets with nuts, squeezed fruit juices, ice cream, sorbets, blintzes filled with potato or cheese

ila

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 7:45 am
I freeze shepherd’s pie baked and after heat in the oven again and it’s very good

dankbar

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:08 am
yapchik

gdgirl

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:13 am
ila wrote:
I freeze shepherd’s pie baked and after heat in the oven again and it’s very good

Can you please share your recipe?

momomany

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
First yr with a pesach kitchen and upcoming simcha...please share what recipes are good to make ahead and freeze.
no gebrokts please.
Thanks!

All cakes and cookies
Crackers
Soups
Egg noodles (crepes)
All kugels.(apple, potato, vegetable)
Apple sauce
All meats
Raw cutlets "breaded" in nuts and potato starch, laid out on parchment ready to fry
Meat loaf or ground chicken patties
Raw chicken prepared and "spiced" with ground veggies ready to bake
Fried onions
Of course ice creams and sorbets

I basically freeze the whole menu in advance. The day before yom tov I make mayonnaise, cucumber, potato and carrot salad, baked apples, charoses, egg salad, sauteed liver. I also cook lots if whole potatoes the day before so that I can slice and fry on yom tove like hash browns if I need an extra side dish. I can also mash some of them with my prepared fried onions and mayo for quick prep before a meal on yom tov or use this as a filling for my preprepared crepes.

little neshamala

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 9:48 am
dankbar wrote:
Cakes, cookies, compotes, meats, chicken, soups. ( chicken, vegetable, butternut, zucchini, cream of chicken, )
egg crepe noodles, falsche fish ( it's chicken balls instead of gefilte fish) apple kugel. Homemade grape juice-must.
patties, breaded cutlets with nuts, squeezed fruit juices, ice cream, sorbets, blintzes filled with potato or cheese

Can you please elaborate on 2 things:

1) chicken/ breaded cutlets with nuts. Are you freezing this cooked or raw?

2) potato blintzes-can you explain how to defrost/reheat so it doesnt taste soggy from the freezer? Do you let it defrost in fridge, then heat? Or put straight from freezer to oven/frying pan?
And....if its not too much trouble, can you share your recipe?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 2:43 pm
Bump

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 3:00 pm
Refine wrote:
Can I freeze shepherds pie after I assemble it in the pan but before I bake it? And then bake it on pesach?

You can get the meat/veggies/gravy ready and freeze that, but I wouldn't freeze it with the mashed potatoes on top. That will be much better fresh.

ila

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 8:16 am
8 potatoes cooked till soft
1 egg and one white part
4 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons of oil
Salt mix in kitchenaid first the hot potato one by one and add the rest

Filling
1 minced onion sauté add one pack meat allspice cinnamon let cook and add tomato sauce and after a while put 1 tablespoon cornstarch in half cup water mix well and add to the mixture let dry a little

Put oil in a pirex half the potato mixture filling and potato, put the yolk on top and bake 350 until golden

Instead of flour you can put potato starch, some matzo meal flour - changes the taste or omit

dankbar

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 8:42 am
little neshamala wrote:
Can you please elaborate on 2 things:

1) chicken/ breaded cutlets with nuts. Are you freezing this cooked or raw?

2) potato blintzes-can you explain how to defrost/reheat so it doesnt taste soggy from the freezer? Do you let it defrost in fridge, then heat? Or put straight from freezer to oven/frying pan?
And....if its not too much trouble, can you share your recipe?

Someone wrote upthread freeze coated cutlets raw with paper.
Someone else said freeze crepes & fill with potatoes before serving. Potatoes can be cooked before no need for immediately before.
You can also freeze it ready, rolled & packed tightly and just reheat in oven before serving.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics