Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Miralax/ neuropsychiatric symptoms

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 8:40 am
My 2 yr old is in so much pain when trying to make a bowel movement. It comes out very hard and she has issues pushing it out. I was told to use miralax but when reading the side affects I've seen complaints abt behaviour issues like mood swings and paranoia etc. I dont feel comfortable giving it to my child. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a stool softener (no suppositories)?

thriver

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 8:48 am
Never ever experienced any side effects with Mirilax. Used it for multiple children for years. It is very safe to use. Right now, it is probably most important that your child be comfortable. Ask your doctor if you are concerned. I imagine they put that on as a disclaimer for insurance purposes.

thriver

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 8:50 am
“Pediatric neurologist Dr. Jonathan Mink, MD, says that while the jury is still out, there are other likely scenarios that might explain the issues these parents reported.

“I see an awful lot of children who have neurobehavioral syndromes like Tourette syndrome, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, autism, and anxiety and constipation is a common problem in those children,” he told CBS News.

Though the exact connection is unclear, the nature of these disorders likely has something to do with it, as nerve cells and muscles also control bowel function, explained Mink, who serves on the executive committee of the American Academy of Pediatrics’ Section on Neurology and is president of the Child Neurology Society.

That raises the possibility that problems the parents observed may have been due to an underlying condition rather than the medication itself.“

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/m.....rned/

anonymrs

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 9:38 am
Natural Calm worked really well for my daughter. I think now there's one from a Jewish brand but that's not the one we used. I think the company was Vitality or something.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 9:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 2 yr old is in so much pain when trying to make a bowel movement. It comes out very hard and she has issues pushing it out. I was told to use miralax but when reading the side affects I've seen complaints abt behaviour issues like mood swings and paranoia etc. I dont feel comfortable giving it to my child. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a stool softener (no suppositories)?

DD was on mirelax for a year straight, bh no side effects.
You should be very careful with the dose, maybe ask the pediatrician before giving.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:24 pm
Painful bowel movements is a Hard cycle. It can take a very long time to get over (months). The quicker you started hopefully the faster it will pass. It’s painful to go. So they hold it in. It gets harder. There is pain coming out. Maybe tearing. Next time is even more painful while area heals. So holds it in ...

I used mineral oil for my DD toddler - I think it’s milder. Also apply cream externally. If tearing or bleeding use bactriban. Otherwise use moisturizer/diaper rash cream to soothe the skin)

I have a Dd 10 who take Mirel ax all the time for over a year due to a health condition and I see no affects.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 3:56 pm
My son is on it under the instruction of our pediatric GI at NYU. She says there’s nothing wrong with it. We also saw articles about that in the beginning and we stayed on it despite our initial worries. Thank G-d—it completely changed him and made him so much happier now that he’s able to make properly. He has 2 tablespoons a day and he’s a very happy kid!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 4:27 pm
I would rather try something else to start off with since I know myself and I will be paranoid if he acts up or differently. Has anyone tried mother bliss constipation ease?

sky

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 4:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would rather try something else to start off with since I know myself and I will be paranoid if he acts up or differently. Has anyone tried mother bliss constipation ease?

Ask your dr if Mineral oil is safe. I give daily to my 3 yr old.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 4:35 pm
I just want you to be aware that my father used constipation care for about a year and he had a colonoscopy and for a while they were very worried because his whole insides were black (and he had had colonoscopies in the past without seeing this). After discussion with him, they realized it was probably from that and to discontinue it immediately. Sometimes these natural stuff are even more unsafe because there’s no regulation. And it worked great, no side effects that he could see

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 7:46 pm
Please don’t play around and just give the miralax. I have two kids who use it regularly and are perfectly fine. backside fissures and having kids hold in bowel movements is a horrible experience. According to my pediatrician miralax is 100% safe.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 12:14 pm
I gave DD two tablespoons of prune juice in her juice bottle every day, and it worked perfectly. No explosive diarrhea, and eventually she outgrew the need for it.

Another thought, have your child tested for lactose intolerance. It won't show up as an allergy, but it is a gut irritant and can cause bad inflammation. It can also cause hyperactive behavior problems, so if your child is acting wild, or having tearful tantrums of frustration, consider cutting out all dairy.

You can slowly start introducing goat yogurt, sheep milk cheese, and basically anything that isn't from a cow, and see if things are OK, or they go back to the original symptoms.

waterfall

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 9:27 pm
My son had the same problem for a really long time my pediatrician told me to keep him on miralax. After a while It was getting me annoyed that he was on it for so long. I started giving him prune juice at least twice a week and he was much better. He started getting constipated again so I took him off milk (not dairy) and give him probiotics daily. Bh!! So far it’s been a couple of months like this and it’s really working!!

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 12:45 pm
Our doctor advised us to use an enema for one of our kids :-(

That got him cleaned out so at least his stomach wasn't bothering him, after that we used miralax WHILE we ran tests to see what was causing the constipation. Turns out he had a thyroid issue. Once that was properly treated the constipation went away.

There are lists online of foods to avoid when constipated and foods to take to ease constipation - maybe look into those?

https://www.healthline.com/nut.....mmons

https://www.healthline.com/nut.....ion18

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 12:57 pm
I’m not sure why people don’t know about this but there is a product sold in the baby food aisle called pear juice. It looks and tastes similar to apple juice.
I have given this to my babies when they were suffering and it worked exceptionally well. It’s even stronger than prune juice.
A pediatrician told me about this many years ago and I couldn’t believe how effective the pear juice could be. I had never heard of pear juice before and for some reason it’s not something regularly sold in the juice aisles! It’s only found near the baby jars.
I’ve told a few people about this whose children were suffering and they all called to thank me that it worked. One baby was post surgery and hadn’t gone in over a week. The parents tried everything. They called me a few hours after they gave him the pear juice to tell me that it finally worked.
Try it before you try the medication.

ynms

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 1:23 pm
Orange juice also helped my kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics