Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Stop taking pacifier.

waterfall

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 6:52 pm
My son is almost 2.5 I wanted to get my son off his pacifier but wasn’t that desperate. One night it wasn’t in his bed and he went to sleep without asking for it. Ever since he gave it up it takes him hours to fall asleep and his teachers also say he naps less. Is there anything to do?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 7:10 pm
it’s a transition but he will be fine. 2.5 is way past time for him to have a paci. He seems to be doing great!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 7:11 pm
He’s growing up! It’s great that he gave it up on his own.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 7:12 pm
Keep praising him for not having it. Does he have a soft blankie or stuffed animal to soothe him? Sometimes a very gentle back rub will help him fall asleep.

I hate to tell you this, but DD gave up both naps and paci at that age, and for a couple of months she was a real grump while her body adjusted to a different sleep schedule. When they outgrow that afternoon nap it's hard on everyone.

This too shall pass!

waterfall

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 7:59 pm
So regarding a blankie or something to comfort him he has a blanket and a teddy which he always sleeps with but that’s not enough for him when it comes to bedtime. He lays in bed talking away for a good hour. Regarding napping most days he does sleep but the teacher told me that since he doesn’t have a pacifier it takes him way longer to fall asleep and there are days that he doesn’t nap at all.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 8:45 pm
waterfall wrote:
So regarding a blankie or something to comfort him he has a blanket and a teddy which he always sleeps with but that’s not enough for him when it comes to bedtime. He lays in bed talking away for a good hour. Regarding napping most days he does sleep but the teacher told me that since he doesn’t have a pacifier it takes him way longer to fall asleep and there are days that he doesn’t nap at all.

It’s normal for a 2.5 yo to drop their nap. And he might have an easier time falling asleep at night if he doesn’t nap.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:02 pm
We stopped buying more when one of my oldest kids was 3. Then, we accidentally left the pacifier in the car over a 3-day Yom Tov. It was a hard Yom Tov, but once it was over, she didn't need a pacifier anymore.

I haven't given a pacifier to any kids since, I'm still traumatized!

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:19 am
My dd5 just stopped before her birthday she dropped it herself in the garbage. Since then it takes hours to fall asleep :-( She has a kind of blankie but still needs me to sit with her for hours till she sleeps.

keym

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:10 am
At 2.5 all my kids started phasing out of their naps.
The good news is that they're so tired by bedtime, they fall asleep much faster.
Pacis did put them to sleep faster, but I think it was mainly because it put them into a zoned out, withdrawn trance.
In fact, that was what motivated me to take away my oldest's at 2.5. When she would get upset or frustrated, she would find her paci and self soothe to an almost sleep like state even if she wasn't tired 9am.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 11:13 am
We lost it and told dc we couldn't find it. When we did eventually find it we just kept that a secret. It went fine, dc was clearly ready.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics