Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Board of Ed - Help Needed!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 5:11 pm
Help! Was I supposed to go through a lawyer to get additional services from the Board of Ed?

My 7 year old has been receiving speech therapy through the Board of Ed since he was 3. (2X a week for 30 minutes a session.) He was not approved for OT back then. He was approved for a SEIT at that time, but we gave it up after 2 years since his teacher claimed it was slowing him down. (Dumb move, I know. But at that point it seemed like the right thing to do.) He was diagnosed with ASD recently. I am trying to get him increased speech therapy. I also submitted a request for OT, since the psychologist who gave the ASD diagnosis recommended it. The Board of Ed sent someone down to evaluate him. The guy told me he'd be recommending OT services.

I also submitted a recent speech evaluation report from NYU to the Board of Ed. It explained his language delay and recommended that he receive additional speech therapy.

I also sent them the psychologist's ASD report.

They asked me for my son's report card. The problem is that his marks so far are ok. Never mind that he talks in choppy sentences and is severely language-delayed. But he reads and writes nicely. The teacher was out for a few days. It seems like the BOE called the school and they sent him my son's straight-A report card! I'm panicking!!!!

We are also waiting to hear back from a special ed/ASD school to see if there's room for my son for the coming September. We won't know for another month if we're in or not. We'd need to work on getting coverage for a special ed class, bussing, social work, etc. etc.

What do I do now???? Do I continue to work with a lawyer? Is e/t ruined? If I do need a lawyer, where do I start?

(Hope this is clear enough. I cannot think straight. It's been a day today. I really thought we'd be accepted to this program for next year and today they called me that they might not have room. Then the summer program that I was eyeing told me that they might not be running this year. And then when I finally spoke to the school about the report card they told me they sent it!)

Thanks!!!

cnc

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 5:23 pm
Firstly, where do you live and what school is your child in?
If you’re not comfortable posting you can PM me and I can guide you.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 8:04 pm
You can have an initial phone call with a lawyer before you hire them, they can tell you if its worth going through with it (they can most probably prove that the report card has nothing to do with his speech/social emotional development etc)
Davening for you to get into the right school and camp! Just keep in mind that Hashem runs the world and if something doesn’t work out, iyh something better will come up! (I tell that to myself all the time, there are so many ups and downs)

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 8:18 pm
Where do you live?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 9:08 pm
Boro Park

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:44 pm
I'm pretty sure you can't refuse to share the report card grades with the DOE. However, you can still make a case that he needs ongoing support to participate in the school program. Get a lot of statements about what support has been provided until now and why an increase is warranted. I've had kids get services with fine grades but you need to present it strongly.

You always have they option of disagreeing with IEP recommendations. If you go to the IEP meeting and they tell you that he can't have services because his grades are too high, what you need to do is state that you disagree, DO NOT SIGN anything, and consult with an advocate. If you can consult an advocate to help get it right the first time, it's a good idea.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:07 pm
I just want to do this the right way one time. Who does these kinds of things?

nanny24/7

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:32 pm
If you are willing to pay a lawyer I can give you a recommendation via PM.
If you are serious about potentially signing a retainer (says the amount you agree to pay for the full case for the school year), then any lawyer should provide an initial free consultation.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:32 pm
Joan Harrington
Juby Shapiro
Others too, those are just the names that popped off the top of my head

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:33 pm
Call Tafkid. They should be able to guide you.

cbsp

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just want to do this the right way one time. Who does these kinds of things?

I'm sorry to say, not always is it "one time" even if done the right way... Definitely don't feel you have to sign whatever they give you if you don't agree with it.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 12:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Help! Was I supposed to go through a lawyer to get additional services from the Board of Ed?

My 7 year old has been receiving speech therapy through the Board of Ed since he was 3. (2X a week for 30 minutes a session.) He was not approved for OT back then. He was approved for a SEIT at that time, but we gave it up after 2 years since his teacher claimed it was slowing him down. (Dumb move, I know. But at that point it seemed like the right thing to do.) He was diagnosed with ASD recently. I am trying to get him increased speech therapy. I also submitted a request for OT, since the psychologist who gave the ASD diagnosis recommended it. The Board of Ed sent someone down to evaluate him. The guy told me he'd be recommending OT services.

I also submitted a recent speech evaluation report from NYU to the Board of Ed. It explained his language delay and recommended that he receive additional speech therapy.

I also sent them the psychologist's ASD report.

They asked me for my son's report card. The problem is that his marks so far are ok. Never mind that he talks in choppy sentences and is severely language-delayed. But he reads and writes nicely. The teacher was out for a few days. It seems like the BOE called the school and they sent him my son's straight-A report card! I'm panicking!!!!

We are also waiting to hear back from a special ed/ASD school to see if there's room for my son for the coming September. We won't know for another month if we're in or not. We'd need to work on getting coverage for a special ed class, bussing, social work, etc. etc.

What do I do now???? Do I continue to work with a lawyer? Is e/t ruined? If I do need a lawyer, where do I start?

(Hope this is clear enough. I cannot think straight. It's been a day today. I really thought we'd be accepted to this program for next year and today they called me that they might not have room. Then the summer program that I was eyeing told me that they might not be running this year. And then when I finally spoke to the school about the report card they told me they sent it!)

Thanks!!!

It's such a confusing process. Lots of hugs
Hug

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 4:38 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Call Tafkid. They should be able to guide you.

Do they have a good response time to a message left for them?

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 7:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do they have a good response time to a message left for them?

Maybe but I wouldn't count on it. However unless your child is in crisis it will be ok as long as you don't sign anything.

Knowledgeable

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 7:33 pm
I know someone that might be able to help u. U can PM me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)