Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Adzenys for Adhd

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:38 am
Anyone’s child been on this? Doctor says doses can be missed and doesn’t need to be weaned off when we decide to. Is that everyone’s experience? I really don’t want a med which will leave my child feeling horrible

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:39 am
Also what’s your experience with it ? Side effects? Drug interactions? My child on Zoloft as well

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:46 am
Always read the fine print, and know what symptoms to be aware of:
https://www.adzenysxrodt.com/

It's an amphetamine, so there should be a rebound effect if you go off too quickly, but that is also dose dependent. A very small dose is easier to get off of than a higher dose.

Do NOT give a stimulant medication to a child who has any form of anxiety or panic attacks. It will make things so much worse. It will seem great at first, but then the anxiety will start up within a week or two.

BTDT. I'm looking for another medication for myself, that is not a stimulant, because Adderall was making me jumpy and nervous all the time. It made me very irritable, too.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:54 am
So whatever I read online it says it’s habit forming ..... but when I emailed the psychiatrist to ask if she can skip a dose and if it’s habit forming she says no. I hate this! She was on Daytrana the patch but had issues with the spot getting irritated. My husband went with her to the doctor and he made it sound like this is similar just in pill form. But it doesn’t seem that way to me. Now she’s on it already a few days and I have such anxiety of what am I doing to my child. I am more against medicine so that’s why it’s hard for me to give it. Especially since she’s on other meds such as asthma meds and Zoloft for anxiety due to pandas- and those two meds I have no choice. Just need to hear other people’s experience with taking this specific medication. And skipping doses or stopping it?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 6:13 am
Strattera looks like a good option, but it can cause problems when combined with Albuterol.

It's non addicting, not considered a controlled substance.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 6:18 am
Another thing, be very clear on the difference between "addiction" and "dependence".

Addiction means that the body adapts to the medication, and over time a higher and higher dose is needed to get the same effect as the first dose. Withdrawal from addicting meds is horrific.

Dependence means that your body needs a steady dose to function properly (like insulin, for example). I've been on the same dose of Zoloft for over 10 years. Withdrawal is extremely unpleasant, and you need to taper down with a doctor's supervision, but it's not as dangerous as coming off of Xanax suddenly.

Dependence is not a bad thing if that is what's needed to keep a person balanced and functional. Addiction should be avoided at all costs, like pacing yourself with the pain meds after surgery.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 8:22 am
I appreciate yours posts and info. Have u had any experience with this medication

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:37 pm
Bump

nylon

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:55 pm
Adzenys is another formulation of amphetamine--aka Adderall. It's really just another way to give Adderall XR, the long lasting version.

You can skip doses of stimulant medication if needed, but it depends on your child. Some benefit from breaks, some really need the predictability. With an XR formulation if your child skips, they miss the whole day.

Medication really helps kids with ADHD.

newyorkmom

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 9:00 pm
Did you end up trying Adzenys ? What was starting dose ? What was your experience ? Considering it now for my daughter .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)