Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Suggestions for menorah project

Rikola

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 8:39 pm
I am hoping to get some suggestions. I teach at our local Chabad Hebrew school and would like to make menorahs with my students this coming week. My class is ages 4-6, but the school goes up to 6th grade, and all the kids would be doing the same project.

I don't have time order menorah projects online, unfortunately. So I'm thinking about getting blocks of wood and glueing nuts to the top of it big enough for candles, then having the kids decorate the wood. I am concerned about getting the wood cut to size and dealing with splinters. Am I being silly? Are there any better ideas out there? All advice is needed and appreciated!!

mumoo

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 9:07 pm
Please be careful with the type of paint and glue used. We have had problems with fire safety with the homemade menorahs. (Though the ones that haven't burned up have lasted for many years already)

I saw a project for a menorah that doesn't light. It was really cute. Empty matchboxes (get them at the grocery in a giant pack) are lined up in a row and glued to a paper (eight in line, one higher: like a menorah) just glue the outsides of the boxes, not the "trays' that slide in. you can decorate the page to be the base of the menorah. Draw or glue orange 'flames' inside the little 'trays' so on each night the right number of flames are pushed up out of the boxes to reveal 'lit flames'

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 10:02 pm
small mosaic tiles & plaster of paris - these are very fireproof, but a little delicate and you need 2 sessions (so it can dry fully before removing). I've used the tops of egg cartons or plastic cake boxes as the molds. You can even color the plaster or add glitter before pouring. Then glue on the bolts.

Rikola

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 11:22 pm
Thank you both. I definitely won't be using paint as it's way too messy (I was planning to have them decorate with markers) and I also need the kids to be able to take them home with them - and Hebrew school is less than 2 hours long.

I really like the matcbook idea, it sounds adorable. Thanks!! :-)

mumoo

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 12:51 am
I saw it in this magazine: http://jas.familyfun.go.com/cr.....11877

the pictures are really small, tho
you don't have to do the paint idea, cover the boxes with cut-to-size paper

avimom

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 6:41 pm
I did your project when I taught sunday school- I had the store cut them to size so it was no big deal and then had the kids sand them- they love it and feel big (didn't need too much sanding...) we painted them with do-a-dot paint markers that dry on the spot. if you put a penny under each nut then it makes it more fireproof...

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 23 2007, 3:53 pm
The children in my class just dabble painted with washable bingo dabbers. Creating an interesting marble effect on wood. We finished it with a glaze spray and used tea lights which imo are the next safest thing to copper bottle caps.
The are able to be lit with ease and can be used and reused the following yr if one wished to etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics