Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What do you do when your child(ren) dont feel well?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:05 am
bh, my children have quite healthy immune systems, so its not too often. but, bh, with more than a handful of children it happens that someone isnt feeling well. and sometimes the bug/virus/bacteria get passed around so it could be a week or more that someone is home.
DH isnt too flexible with his job, mine is more flexible. so usually when someone isnt well, it falls on me to take off. but theres only so many days I can take off.
my mother works, my mil isnt too helpful.
what do you ladies do when a kid isnt well?

Mayflower

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:11 am
It's hard... When necessary, I can usually work from home unless I have meetings scheduled.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:04 am
Its really hard. Those are the days I wish to be a stay at home mom.

I usually stay home. I don’t care if my boss or anyone is upset. I feel that my child comes first. I’ll try my best to make the best arrangements possible by work and help from home, but my first love is my family.

I’ve had times when my hold wasn’t feeling so sick but was still contagious. Then I found a women who doesn’t have kids home and she didn’t mind babysitting. But I wouldn’t send an older child or a kid that’s feeling miserable.

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:18 am
I have no family nearby who can watch my kids. When my kids are too sick to go to school I take off work and stay home with them. This is the main reason why I work where I do - the flexibility is priceless!

hodeez

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:23 am
Ask my boss if I can work from home while the kids are sick.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:26 am
It is hard!

Take off
Work from home
Switch off with dh so we both get in half day
Depends on age and condition, I've bought child to work. But only if not contagious and no fever. I work in a big space, no coworkers in my space.

lcraighten

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:26 am
First line of defense is my husband since he is still in school. Second is getting a babysitter. Super, super important to have a babysitter you can rely on. I don't have family nearby so if I can't get a sitter, I try to work from home. If that doesn't work I take off. I can usually use my own sick day at some point during the week as well because after caring for the kids, I need a sick day too!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:28 am
Where do people find non family babysitters that are willing to take a sick kid?????

The babysitters I know have a few kids by them so they won't take a sick child.

OOT

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:39 am
This is the main reason that I don’t work much out of the house. And thank G-d that it works for me to be home. Many of the people that I know who have inflexible work hours also have a mom or mil or husband who can babysit in a pinch.
Especially difficult for me was when a child was sorta sick but not really and it was so hard to make the choice about whether to send them to school or not.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 1:00 pm
OOT wrote:
This is the main reason that I don’t work much out of the house. And thank G-d that it works for me to be home. Many of the people that I know who have inflexible work hours also have a mom or mil or husband who can babysit in a pinch.
Especially difficult for me was when a child was sorta sick but not really and it was so hard to make the choice about whether to send them to school or not.

Exactly! if you keep them home and theyre feeling fine, A. you cant get any work done in the house, and B. you feel silly that they were home when they could have been in school and you could have been at work.
but then if you send them and the teacher calls you to come pick her/him up, thats a royal pain, not to mention not fair to the teachers and all the kids in the class.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 1:01 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Where do people find non family babysitters that are willing to take a sick kid?????

The babysitters I know have a few kids by them so they won't take a sick child.

non-family? even my family wont babysit for me when I have children home who arent well, and I honestly dont expect them to.

zaftigmom

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 1:05 pm
I don't have anyone that can take my kids. I haven't gotten a full paycheck in months. I'm a mother first and thank God my boss understands that even though she doesn't love it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics