Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
What minhag for a BT?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 6:35 pm
I'm a BT, and my family never kept anything. The family background is from Poland and Germany, but I became religious in a Sephardi community.

Can I take on Sephardic minhagim? Aside from different davening nusach which I already do, I am wondering specifically about Pesach and kitniot.

My ex was Ashkenazic, no gebrokts, but now that I'm single again I'd really like to have a Sephardic Pesach this year. I've tried asking some of my teachers in the past, but I've never gotten a straight answer.

I'm kind of between rabbis at the moment, and not sure who to ask. Does anyone here have a DH who could answer the question? Someone familiar with kiruv might be a good person to handle this.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 6:40 pm
You may have to be mater neder on certain minhagim.
For example when my DH stopped with Cholov Yisroel due to a specific issue he had his rav told him to was ok to switch but he needed to be matir neder.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 7:08 pm
I don't know the answer. Just want to share that not all Sephardim have the same minhagim. And especially with kitniyot you need to be very careful. For example rice needs to be checked 3 times according to my minhag.

Also where are you located? Perhaps we can help find a Rav that can help you. Your answer will always be better designed for you if you ask directly in your own behalf.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 8:00 pm
Cholov Yisroel is not a minhag. It is vastly different than the minhagim surrounding pesach. OP, I’m sorry I can’t give you guidance, but I do know that you shouldn’t apply anything that apply to CY for minhagei pesach.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 8:11 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Cholov Yisroel is not a minhag. It is vastly different than the minhagim surrounding pesach. OP, I’m sorry I can’t give you guidance, but I do know that you shouldn’t apply anything that apply to CY for minhagei pesach.

I’m going to disagree with you tossing out the example. The point was that OP may need to be matir neder not about CY specifically and I think it’s applicable here. OP, none of us can answer because we would need to know more and be rebbeim. I hope you are able to find a rav soon. Is there a shliach near you?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 8:40 pm
Giyoret here. I was told (by Chabad) that because I am of European ancestry, I need to keep Ashkenaz customs.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 8:51 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Giyoret here. I was told (by Chabad) that because I am of European ancestry, I need to keep Ashkenaz customs.
That is so fascinating . Because my in-laws are of Spanish descent and their family of origin is from Spain , yet they are chasidish and keep Ashkenaz customs. They basically followed the rav that helped them with their Geirus.
So I guess that’s why the OP needs to find and ask her rav. There are most likely differing opinions.

malki2

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 9:17 pm
OP, ask a Rov, but generally, if you are a member of a certain community, it is permissible to take on the minhagim (and halachot) of that community, if you take them on completely, not just where it suits you. Some Sephardim who grew up among Ashkenazim ended up becoming Ashkenazi, and vice versa. There is a name “Ashkenazi” among the Syrians. That came due to an ancestor who settled among them and took on their customs and became a full-fledged Sephardi. If you had previously kept Ashkenazi customs, however, you probably need to be Matir Neder as some here have mentioned.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions