Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Nyc doe - borrowing against your TDA

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 7:52 am
I'm wondering if anyone who works for the DOE ever took money out of your TDA?

I want to take out about 8000 for home improvements. How do I go about taking it out? What about paying it back? What happends if I can't?

Anyone do it and have advise?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 8:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone who works for the DOE ever took money out of your TDA?

I want to take out about 8000 for home improvements. How do I go about taking it out? What about paying it back? What happends if I can't?

Anyone do it and have advise?

Is that your pension fund?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 8:06 am
Not pension fund.
It's a tax deferred annuity, where I put a few thousand dollars into every yr.

ellacoe

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:06 pm
Find out what the interest payments and penalties are. I have had clients who have done it then end up regretting it and having to take out other loans to repay it.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:14 pm
I don't work for DOE, but several years ago, I borrowed money from my work retirement plan for home construction. I didn't have to pay any fees or penalties, but possibly paid interest. The money to repay it was automatically deducted from my paycheck for the next 5 years, with the understanding that if I left the job during that time for any reason, I would immediately have to pay back the balance from my own money. B"H everything went smoothly, no regrets. But check with HR or whoever handles this at DOE to find out what options you have.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:18 pm
I would call TRS. They will be able to answer all of your questions.

Phone number is 1-888-869-2877

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:21 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I don't work for DOE, but several years ago, I borrowed money from my work retirement plan for home construction. I didn't have to pay any fees or penalties, but possibly paid interest. The money to repay it was automatically deducted from my paycheck for the next 5 years, with the understanding that if I left the job during that time for any reason, I would immediately have to pay back the balance from my own money. B"H everything went smoothly, no regrets. But check with HR or whoever handles this at DOE to find out what options you have.

Yes this is similar to what I saw. Almost exact actually. I would be deducted 175$ dollars a month which includes the interest fee which isn't alot. However, somehow saving the 8000 seems impossible. I figure the automatic deduction will ensure it is paid back plus I wont feel it as much.
I basically want to use it to install central air. Im trying to figure out if its a worthwhile investment. I'm thinking yes....

suzyq

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 3:00 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:

You do pay interest, and additionally, that money ends up being double-taxed, which is why loans from retirement plans are not a great idea. (When you pay back your loan, it is paid back with after-tax money, and when you withdraw that money when you retire, it gets taxed again.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics