Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore or Silver Spring

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 6:22 pm
What are some of the differences in communities? Who lives in each? Can anyone compare the school options? Housing options? I’ll take any input.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 7:55 pm
They are very different. Silver Spring is much smaller and has a much more out of town feel. Housing and schools are significantly more expensive, however, salaries tend to be higher because near DC.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 8:07 pm
Never lived in either, just passed through. SS seems affluent. Baltimore much poorer. But better infrastructure in Baltimore, re: Shula, schools, kosher markets, restaurants, etc.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 1:54 am
bump...would love to hear more about the schools. The separate, mainstream schools. The Torah School in Silver Spring sounds very good, but not sure how the Silver Spring high schools (specifically Yeshiva of Greater Washington) stack up against the Baltimore high schools. I was looking a bit at Yeshiva of Greater Washington girls division and doesn't seem like a solid school like BY Baltimore for example. Any insights on The Torah School and the YGW high schools, especially vis a vis their equivalents in Baltimore would be great.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:46 am
Baltimore has a bigger right wing community, much smaller modern one.

SS has a larger modern community, smaller RW one. Also more expensive.

If you were modern I'd say SS because the HS situation in Baltimore is not ideal for modern families. In Baltimore you have more choices for schools, if you are looking somewhere like BY/TA.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 10:03 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Baltimore has a bigger right wing community, much smaller modern one.

SS has a larger modern community, smaller RW one. Also more expensive.

If you were modern I'd say SS because the HS situation in Baltimore is not ideal for modern families. In Baltimore you have more choices for schools, if you are looking somewhere like BY/TA.

We're yeshivish lite, grad school educated etc. I know Baltimore has a much larger RW community, but I've spent some time in SS and like aspects about it too. We're not looking at Berman or the modern Baltimore schools. Really the most likely candidates in Baltimore would be BY and TA (not 100 percent sure about boys high school but that's also very child dependant anyway). I know those two are great schools and would most fit us hashkaficlly.

I've heard lots of good things about the Torah School too. I know it's more diverse or at least that on average the parent body is more modern than the Baltimore schools I mentioned (since that reflects the community). Besides that, what are people's experiences - is it a good school or just an "ok" one? Kids/parents are truly happy and committed to the school? Hanhala and teachers are caring? Education - kodesh and chol are good? Middos are stressed? Is it growing?

Have less info and less of a feel for Yeshiva of Greater Washington. Would love more info on both the boys and girls divisions. How big are they? Are they even less yeshivish than The Torah School? And similar questions as I just wrote above about The Torah School - education level, middos, teachers/hanhala, do parents/kids love the schools and feel strong commitment? Please specify if talking about the boys or girls divisions. I heard some time ago that a large chunk of girls are from out of town and not local - is that true? (Like girls that didn't fit into in town schools? Nothing wrong with that, just not sure that I'd want that as major part of the school.)

SDmother

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 10:22 am
amother [ Raspberry ] wrote:
We're yeshivish lite, grad school educated etc. I know Baltimore has a much larger RW community, but I've spent some time in SS and like aspects about it too. We're not looking at Berman or the modern Baltimore schools. Really the most likely candidates in Baltimore would be BY and TA (not 100 percent sure about boys high school but that's also very child dependant anyway). I know those two are great schools and would most fit us hashkaficlly.

I've heard lots of good things about the Torah School too. I know it's more diverse or at least that on average the parent body is more modern than the Baltimore schools I mentioned (since that reflects the community). Besides that, what are people's experiences - is it a good school or just an "ok" one? Kids/parents are truly happy and committed to the school? Hanhala and teachers are caring? Education - kodesh and chol are good? Middos are stressed? Is it growing?

Have less info and less of a feel for Yeshiva of Greater Washington. Would love more info on both the boys and girls divisions. How big are they? Are they even less yeshivish than The Torah School? And similar questions as I just wrote above about The Torah School - education level, middos, teachers/hanhala, do parents/kids love the schools and feel strong commitment? Please specify if talking about the boys or girls divisions. I heard some time ago that a large chunk of girls are from out of town and not local - is that true? (Like girls that didn't fit into in town schools? Nothing wrong with that, just not sure that I'd want that as major part of the school.)

You can DM me.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 10:37 am
SDmother wrote:
You can DM me.

Thank you, I will keep it in mind! This is still only a theoretical possibility (but I'm one if those people that's always thinking and planning ahead...even when it's only theoretical Banging head )

SDmother

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 10:47 am
amother [ Raspberry ] wrote:
Thank you, I will keep it in mind! This is still only a theoretical possibility (but I'm one if those people that's always thinking and planning ahead...even when it's only theoretical Banging head )

LOL.
Both are great but have clear differences. As other have stated silver Spring housing is much more expensive but also safer. Difficult to find a house for under 600k and even then will be small and likely origional 1960s condition. Torah school and both boys and girls yeshiva are great, however, if you are not happy there, there is no alternatives like there are in baltimore. This can also be a good thing because it causes there to be more diversity in the silver Spring schools. It really depends on what you are looking for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating