Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Can I observe your class while you teach?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 10:25 pm
I always wanted to teach and have the opportunity to get a teaching position for the upcoming school year. either 5th grade or 9th grade.
I'm 30 years old. (Chassidish, if that matters). I taught for 1 year soon after graduating. Then moved to Eretz Yisroel and am back in New York now.
I'd love to teach but don't feel confident enough to take a teaching position without observing experienced teachers first.

Would anyone here in Brooklyn, NY be willing to have me sit there and observe your class and how you teach/discipline Hypnotized

I'd appreciate to observe any grade as there's a lot to learn from every teacher.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 10:28 pm
I'm not in NY, but my advice would be to contact a principal and ask permission. A teacher can't just invite someone in without permission which depends on school policy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 10:32 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I'm not in NY, but my advice would be to contact a principal and ask permission. A teacher can't just invite someone in without permission which depends on school policy.

Good point! I'll get permission from principal, but first please let me find a teacher who's even willing to have the elephant in the room:)

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 10:43 pm
The proper protocol would be to first ask a principal. If she okays it, she can ask a teacher. A good principal generally knows which teachers would be willing.
The principal is basically the gatekeeper of the school. You gotta know how to go through the proper channels.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 10:46 pm
Ooh I would have loooved to have you but I didnt go back to work this year after giving birth.
But yeah call a school and ask if you could sit in.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 10:48 pm
Observe teachers on YouTube

sweetdimples

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 10:50 pm
also realize that if youre looking for discipline tips, you may not get to observe that in action as the girls tend to be on best behavior when theres a stranger in the room

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 10:53 pm
Read:
The first days of school by Wong
Teach Like a Champion

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 11:06 pm
Teach Like a Champion is a bit controversial. And didn't the author get fired from his teaching job a few years ago connected to complaints about his abusive behavior?
I would recommend the teaching book (forgot the title) by Angela Powell. She has a website that is way overdone and glitzy now, but she wrote her book on classroom strategies and management while she was still in the classroom and it's a very down to earth practical book. Harry Wong's book is very old. I read it in college and thought it was just so-so. But I gained a lot from Angela's book.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics