Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
2.5 yr old feeding issues

LO

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 9:26 am
Hi all! I need advice and encouragement. Smile For various reasons, my 2.5 yr old got used to being fed by me while either looking at books, playing toys, etc. He's pretty skinny and not a great eater, but he would eat like that, and I spent a nice amount of time chasing after him with food. Smile If I did that, he ate nicely and healthfully.

I decided that this has to stop - I know it's not the right way to eat, plus I have a new baby and can't spend so much time on feeding the toddler when he can eat by himself perfectly well. So I am restraining myself from feeding him, just putting various healthy choices in front of him and leaving him to choose what and how much he wants. That's what the books say to do, but so far he is not really eating....I also stopped giving him bottles of milk so that shouldn't interfere with the food....But am I doing something wrong? I feel like he should be eating more.....

I know that if I offer him junk, he will eat, and I am giving him several choices of foods that he ate happily when I fed them to him. I don't want to start on the junkier stuff (I.e. more attractive cereal or sugary yogurt) because then there is no way back....

Can anyone offer any advice, or dealt with this? Thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 9:53 am
Keep doing what you are doing, offer healthy choices, and DON'T GIVE IN!

If you are really worried, ask your pediatrician, and maybe get a referral to a feeding therapist or a nutrition (or both.)

You are well aware that spoon feeding him is not an option anymore. He's too big for bottles (anything after one year old is too big, IMHO.) Feeding him junk is going to make him a picky eater for life.

If you think he is willfully starving himself into misery, please call your doctor ASAP, but stand strong. Unless he has an underlying medical condition, this is going to be a bit of a power struggle. Get support when you need it.

For your next child, be very careful about not setting up negative patterns. If a child can pick something up and put it in their mouth, then they should be feeding themselves the healthy options that you are offering. No bottles after 1 year. No bottles in bed! No filling up on juice.

trixx

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 9:56 am
Kids. Eat.in.color on Instagram
Ellyn satter method - division of responsibility

LO

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 9:59 am
I know, I read the Ellyn Satter book, just having trouble implementing it...Smile

LO

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 9:59 am
I don't have instagram...what is kids eat in color?

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Mar 06 2020, 10:03 am
LO wrote:
I know, I read the Ellyn Satter book, just having trouble implementing it...Smile
I love ellyn satter's work, it helped me wean a child off a feeding tube, but the reason I am not "married" to her theory is because I don't think she is accounting for how addictive some foods are to some children. Dairy, gluten and sugar are highly addictive, so kids end up restricting themselves to those foods that give them that addictive fix, instead of branching out, trying new things, and self regulating based on appetite.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics