Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Discussion on Nach Yomi
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:16 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
The Lubavitcher Rebbe in sichos volume 1 describes the beautiful role of Dan in gathering all leftover items. Dan's bracha is fascinating. The name Chushim has great spiritual meaning......

We just named our baby Dan. So many fascinating things about his name and the shevet. I would love to read that sicha but don't know how to get hold of it. What is the exact name of the sefer?

hotzenplotz

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 1:49 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
We just named our baby Dan. So many fascinating things about his name and the shevet. I would love to read that sicha but don't know how to get hold of it. What is the exact name of the sefer?

Sure, I have it in Yiddish but it is available as Toras Menachem .
Later, after I finish my housework I will look up the year. you can call judaica world C.h. 604 1020 (718) they will guide you. All you need is the year of the likutei sichos.

Dan is a beautiful name, and symbolically beautiful too. lots of nachas.

hotzenplotz

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 2:18 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

Please pm me. I will send you the cover sheet of the sefer. I do not have the cover.
From there, Judaica place could tell guide you towards the English or Hebrew version.

https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpag.....lite=

The sicha you are looking for is parshas vayachi in this Sefer. Good luck!!

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 9:39 pm
hotzenplotz wrote:
Please pm me. I will send you the cover sheet of the sefer. I do not have the cover.
From there, Judaica place could tell guide you towards the English or Hebrew version.

https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpag.....lite=

The sicha you are looking for is parshas vayachi in this Sefer. Good luck!!

Thank you!

imorethanamother

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 10:56 pm
You know what’s confusing? People from Binyamin demanded the men that were guests in their area, and when that was denied them, took a woman that didn’t belong to them.

In return, the rest of Am Yisroel went to war with them, nearly wiped them out, swore never to let their daughters marry them, and therefore had a conundrum. The solution? To kill everyone from a city, do tests to determine who was a virgin, and hand those over to Binyomin. To let Binyomin grab wives from other shevatim without the consent of their fathers and brothers. And presumably, without these women’s consent.

Seems like the cure was worse than the original misdeed, no? This whole thing is baffling and I’m listening to everyone on the OU app on this subject and no one addresses that the result seems far worse than anything the perpetrators did. In fact, we are just reinforcing that women are for the taking, not the asking, which was the original sin.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 1:10 am
imorethanamother wrote:
You know what’s confusing? People from Binyamin demanded the men that were guests in their area, and when that was denied them, took a woman that didn’t belong to them.

In return, the rest of Am Yisroel went to war with them, nearly wiped them out, swore never to let their daughters marry them, and therefore had a conundrum. The solution? To kill everyone from a city, do tests to determine who was a virgin, and hand those over to Binyomin. To let Binyomin grab wives from other shevatim without the consent of their fathers and brothers. And presumably, without these women’s consent.

Seems like the cure was worse than the original misdeed, no? This whole thing is baffling and I’m listening to everyone on the OU app on this subject and no one addresses that the result seems far worse than anything the perpetrators did. In fact, we are just reinforcing that women are for the taking, not the asking, which was the original sin.

In the Shiur that I heard, it was said that the girl had to consent. It was just the parents’ consent, which was not required.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 7:53 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
In the Shiur that I heard, it was said that the girl had to consent. It was just the parents’ consent, which was not required.

I would assume the girls had to consent. Think of Bnos Tzelafchad.
But yes, this is a baffling episode.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:48 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I would assume the girls had to consent. Think of Bnos Tzelafchad.
But yes, this is a baffling episode.

It’s a horrible episode on so many levels - but it’s not the resolution that makes it horrible.

tzavei_yeshuos

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:14 am
The Torat Imecha podcast talks about this issue at length

It's been super helpful to have bc the pshat on these last few perakim has been challenging

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:34 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
It’s a horrible episode on so many levels - but it’s not the resolution that makes it horrible.

Agree. I just caught up, finished Shmuel Aleph, 1.
Rabbi Rosner quoted the Maharal in his Shoftim 21 class. The Maharal says that there are deep ideas I this episode, that it's just so incredible beyond out of character and any expectations that there is more to it.
I don't know if that's a satisfactory answer but it does address the issue of how horrible and bizarre it was.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:55 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Agree. I just caught up, finished Shmuel Aleph, 1.
Rabbi Rosner quoted the Maharal in his Shoftim 21 class. The Maharal says that there are deep ideas I this episode, that it's just so incredible beyond out of character and any expectations that there is more to it.
I don't know if that's a satisfactory answer but it does address the issue of how horrible and bizarre it was.

If there was a fictional horror story with deep ideas, that would be one thing, but an atrocity that actually happened, it seems to me, is something else.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 5:11 pm
I wish someone would mention that the pattern of behavior of the girl's father and her "husband" is typical behavior that leads to a man battering a woman.
There is nothing new under the sun.
There is no conversation between father and daughter or between father and couple. only father adressing son-in-law. The woman was sort of non-existent throughout all conversations.

Father is happy to give daughter right back into the hand of a terrifying husband who has raging temper (according to gemara).

The man treats her like an object. Tells the wounded/dead woman to get up. When she doesnt, puts her on the donkey. Takes her home, cuts her up like an object. Batterers treat their women like objects...

The Ephraimite was willing to protect a strange levite over his virgin daughter???
Since I believe that Torah is divine, I believe I dont understand and something higher took place here.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:11 pm
Pink fridge:
I would love to read Maharal on Shoftim 21.
Would you know the name of his sefer?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Pink fridge:
I would love to read Maharal on Shoftim 21.
Would you know the name of his sefer?

No. I believe he just quoted Maharal.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 2:14 am
I don't know, you guys, reading about Shaul always breaks my heart. I remember hearing a shiur a long time ago that said that if someone with the humility of Moshe Rabbainu existed, that person would be the next Moshe Rabbainu. I'm not saying this right, but apparently just that middah is enough to make someone into a gadol hador.

Shaul was such a good person. The pasuk repeatedly tells us so. And not only that, but his children were good. Yonatan, Michal. They weren't after the kingdom, or money - they were after the greater good.

And for such a humble, quiet, kind, caring, considerate person, his life was so very tragic and upsetting. It's like watching a car wreck - I don't think I can bear to read on, even though I know the end of the story.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 6:45 am
imorethanamother wrote:
I don't know, you guys, reading about Shaul always breaks my heart. I remember hearing a shiur a long time ago that said that if someone with the humility of Moshe Rabbainu existed, that person would be the next Moshe Rabbainu. I'm not saying this right, but apparently just that middah is enough to make someone into a gadol hador.

Shaul was such a good person. The pasuk repeatedly tells us so. And not only that, but his children were good. Yonatan, Michal. They weren't after the kingdom, or money - they were after the greater good.

And for such a humble, quiet, kind, caring, considerate person, his life was so very tragic and upsetting. It's like watching a car wreck - I don't think I can bear to read on, even though I know the end of the story.

I am definitely finding Navi harder than I remembered. I haven't learned Nach in so long. I'm learning with my son (Nach Yomi is ending near his bar mitzvah) and there is so much that I need to explain to him that I do not really understand myself. Looking at it from an adults perspective is really hard.

imorethanamother

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:42 am
Isn't it crazy that the Nach Yomi coincides with the haftorah of the week?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 3:09 am
imorethanamother wrote:
Isn't it crazy that the Nach Yomi coincides with the haftorah of the week?

So did the Daf . . .

etky

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 3:59 am
imorethanamother wrote:

I agree that Shaul is one of the most tragic figures in Tanach.
There is also a feeling that if he wasn't up to the task he shouldn't have been chosen for the job. After all, at least at the outset of the story, it's not like he sought to be in the spotlight. Quite the opposite.
When Shmuel is told to annoint David - who unlike Shaul, did not look particularly regal or prepossesing in any way - he is told by Hashem ויאמר יהוה אל שמואל אל תבט אל מראהו ואל גבה קומתו כי מאסתיהו כי לא אשר יראה
.האדם כי האדם יראה לעינים ויהוה יראה ללבב
It that were the case, then why did Hashem pick Shaul the first time around?

There are answers to this question, for sure, including for example that for the first attempt at kingship, the people needed someone who had an air of kingship about him and looked the part. And also that Shaul had the potential to be a good king if he had just heeded G-d's word. It was his own free will to not carry out Hashem's word exactly as dictated.

Still, to me it seems that he had a tragic flaw that perhaps deemed him insurmountably unsuitable for kinship .Davka his extreme humility was his undoing because it caused him to bow to the people's desire. It is the reason that he allowed them to retain the animals from Amalek. It also was why he caved to pressure in Gilgal in the war with Plishtim and did not wait for Shmuel before he offered the sacrifice like he should have. That was really the turning point in his kingship: the begining of the end. We see that thereafter he was a bit unhinged as first demonstrated by the story of Yonatan and the honeycomb. Of course, we see that he sunk deeper and deeper into whatever psychiatric condition he developed after that point (there are numerous diagnoses that have been floated) as his kingship went on.

The story of the dynasty of Shaul is tragic from beginning to end: Shaul himself, Yonatan who dies in battle (along with two of his brothers), Michal who died unloved by David and childless and thus the chance for continuity through a union bt. beit Shaul and beit David was lost, Ishboshet who was assasinated, and finally the sons of Shaul with Rizpah bat Ayah and the five sons of Merav that were hung to placate the Gibeonites and end the famine. The sole survivor of the family of Shaul who managed to evade the fate of his relatives by the skin of his teeth was Mephiboshet: the lame son of Yonatan.

Writing this (practically) erev Purim I just want to add that Esther - a descendent of the family of Shaul, was also his rectification in that she did exactly as she was told and saved the Jewish people as well as killing off Haman the Agaggi and all his family. So ultimately that does mitigate the tragedy of Shaul somewhat.

hotzenplotz

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Thank you!

About your son's name Dan:

Bnei Yissacher (Oiz vhadar edition is extremely clear with biur) maamar zayin "ois" daled
beautiful writing on Shevet Dan.

Enjoy!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics