Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Bankruptcy due to tuition
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:19 pm
right. that's what I figured. I also know a principal. He said he makes sure to pay the non jewish staff because they won't work for free but the jewish teachers understand that that's just the way it goes...
There's no good answer. I was just responding to the poster who said this wouldn't happen in a right wing brooklyn school. she's probalby right but there will be other issues...

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:21 pm
back to op- how old are your kids? as your kids get older childcare becomes less of an issue. As a SAHM I don't mind having a friend over for my 9 year old. Having someone else's 4 year old is a "job".

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I assume her house was worth something.

I live in a cheap area. I'd be lucky to get back what we sold it for. Forget whatever money we put in to fix it up.

The most we could do is rent out half our house.

If that's an option, you can look into that. Maybe consider a boarder.
But in the long run, you will be much much better off if your husband does some sort of training in a viable field. If he's not cut out for an office job, think of vocational training. There are lots of opportunities.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 2:45 pm
can you find a chabad school? Will your children fit in?

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 4:33 pm
If there's tomchei shabbos in your town, use it and save money on your food bill to pay tuition.
Get solar panels and cut your electricity bill.
Buy clothing in secong stores!
Your kids should find small jobs to have their own spending money.
Can your husband drive in his spare time to supplement income?
Most frum jews do not consider Jewish school as a luxury, it's a necessity!

DVOM

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 4:50 pm
Your in a tough situation, OP.

From your description, it sounds like the only solution would be for your husband to get some sort of work. An adult in a household who isn't working is a huge untapped financial recourse. Maybe we can help you brainstorm. What sort of of training does he have? What sort of work might he enjoy? Does he have little ones that he's taking care of during the day?

During breaks from university these past three years my husband has driven an Uber, done woodworking and electrical projects with a kid who needed a little mentoring, worked for a caterer. Every little bit counts!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 4:57 pm
DVOM wrote:

From your description, it sounds like the only solution would be for your husband to get some sort of work. An adult in a household who isn't working is a huge untapped financial recourse. Maybe we can help you brainstorm. What sort of of training does he have? What sort of work might he enjoy? Does he have little ones that he's taking care of during the day?

During breaks from university these past three years my husband has driven an Uber, done woodworking and electrical projects with a kid who needed a little mentoring, worked for a caterer. Every little bit counts!

I'm just curious.

Did your husband take on these jobs on his own initiative or after you prodded him (maybe after "brainstorming" on this website)?

tichellady

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 4:59 pm
Can your husband work in the school in any capacity? Maintenance, bookkeeping etc

STMommy

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:05 pm
DVOM wrote:

Agreed. Your DH should be using every spare second to hustle as much as physically possible.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:09 pm
STMommy wrote:
Agreed. Your DH should be using every spare second to hustle as much as physically possible.

Agree, and you should also spell out how the low amounts add up to a nice tidy sum. For example, $100 a week, is $400 a month, which is $4800 a year. So if he doubles or triples the amount, it will be about $10 or $15K a year. Maybe if he sees that actual numbers, it can spur him into doing something.

DVOM

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm just curious.

Did your husband take on these jobs on his own initiative or after you prodded him (maybe after "brainstorming" on this website)?

Nah, it had nothing to do with me. My husband is a go-getter by nature.

As I'm thinking about it, I'm remembering other stuff he did. Maybe some of these ideas will strike a cord for you: He hired himself out to do minor house repairs (hanging shelves, changing doorknobs, painting walls) and taught himself how to fix watches. The watch repairs actually brought in quite a bit of money and turned into his best side-hustle.

Based on your question I'm wondering if your finances is really the issue here. It sounds like there is more going on here. Why isn't your husband working, OP?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:25 pm
DVOM wrote:
Nah, it had nothing to do with me. My husband is a go-getter by nature.

As I'm thinking about it, I'm remembering other stuff he did. Maybe some of these ideas will strike a cord for you: He hired himself out to do minor house repairs (hanging shelves, changing doorknobs, painting walls) and taught himself how to fix watches. The watch repairs actually brought in quite a bit of money and turned into his best side-hustle.

Based on your question I'm wondering if your finances is really the issue here. It sounds like there is more going on here. Why isn't your husband working, OP?

Do you work?

What do you do?

DVOM

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you work?

What do you do?

I do indeed 😊

My husband just graduated, so things are about to change, but he's been in graduate school for the past three years, and getting his BA for the three years before that, so it's been six years all told since he's brought home a steady paycheck. His graduate program was very full time between classes, coursework, internships and independent research. He also had a daily 3 hour round trip commute. We didn't see much of him!

I worked about 36 hours a week during that time. We have 4 kids. I'm an LCSW and I make a good salary, but it's never really been enough to cover all our expenses. Most households I know couldn't survive without two incomes. Life's expensive.

mirror

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:34 pm
I don't know how much you think that owning a car costs. If you own the car outright, then maybe with car insurance and gas etc it would cost about $400 a month (out of NY/NJ where insurance is less). If you moved to a state with free tuition and lower rent, you would be saving $2,000 a month. I really think you should think about moving to Cincinatti, Ohio or Cleveland, Ohio or South Bend, Indiana. Milwaukee, Wisconsin has vouchers.

mirror

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What happened to them in the end?

How is everyone not going bankrupt? I can't be the only one. I don't think everyone is making so much more than me, and we live very simply!

I have a friend who knows other people's finances. She told me that she knows of people who go collecting to pay their kids' tuitions.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:45 pm
before people recommend people to move to anyplace in ohio for tuition reasons I suggest they wait until it is decided if and how "edchoice" will be continued. Right now its "uinder discussion".

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:59 pm
And moving is a tremendous expense!

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 6:12 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
And moving is a tremendous expense!

It's a one time expense that may help the situation in the long run.
But as long as DH isn't working, OP will always have financial trouble no matter where they move to.
If DH can't work for medical reasons, he should apply for disability.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 6:21 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Agree, and you should also spell out how the low amounts add up to a nice tidy sum. For example, $100 a week, is $400 a month, which is $4800 a year. So if he doubles or triples the amount, it will be about $10 or $15K a year. Maybe if he sees that actual numbers, it can spur him into doing something.

This
I don't earn much but when I add it up it's definitely worth it and enables me to stay home with my baby.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 6:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He was working and bringing in way less than that. Not enough to cover childcare. We've crunched the numbers.

Can he take a part time job while kids are in school, or when you’re home. Anything would help.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics