Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you add on to a dress for 5 yr old

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:38 pm
I'm not makpid on tights and knees being completely covered but all the dresses so far I found (even jewish stores) were above her knees. with knee socks it'll look so funny that there is such a large gap. how strange is it to add on just a short ribbon to the bottom?

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:41 pm
I'd add a piece of fabric rather then ribbon. The trimming stores sell special add on fabric in various widths. If it's the exact color, I'd add.
If the dresses from the Jewish stores are short, she might need a bigger size.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:13 pm
Isn’t either buy the next size or wear short socks with it.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:34 pm
I would.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:49 pm
What did the larger size look like on your dd when she tried it on?
If the dress is already short now, imagine how overgrown it will look by the time July summer comes around (4 months).

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 2:36 pm
I like the ribbon trim look.

thriver

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 3:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not makpid on tights and knees being completely covered but all the dresses so far I found (even jewish stores) were above her knees. with knee socks it'll look so funny that there is such a large gap. how strange is it to add on just a short ribbon to the bottom?

What is up with this??? I’ve been finding this too. And my girls are older than yours and old enough to need to be tznius. Why are the Jewish stores not catering to our standards??? This makes me so upset. If I wanted non-tznius I wouldn’t bother going to the Jewish stores...!!

So upsetting to me. They don’t even try to pretend. I’ve been looking online for Pesach clothing for my girls and the Jewish websites don’t seem to even be trying to pretend to cover knees...! 😤

I’ve emailed two different Jewish websites regarding this. I encourage all those who are upset by this to do the same. Maybe then they will change.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 3:36 pm
I’m RW MO but I don’t like the very short look especially on Shabbos. I have to buy my tall 5 year old size 7 for this summer. That’s just what I have to do to get her through the season. I suggest you do the same

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 3:44 pm
thriver wrote:
What is up with this??? I’ve been finding this too. And my girls are older than yours and old enough to need to be tznius. Why are the Jewish stores not catering to our standards??? This makes me so upset. If I wanted non-tznius I wouldn’t bother going to the Jewish stores...!!

So upsetting to me. They don’t even try to pretend. I’ve been looking online for Pesach clothing for my girls and the Jewish websites don’t seem to even be trying to pretend to cover knees...! 😤

I’ve emailed two different Jewish websites regarding this. I encourage all those who are upset by this to do the same. Maybe then they will change.

Whatever I buy at Jewish stores, needs to be hemmed. I know of 2 companies that run short, I don't get those companies. But most of the dresses in the local jewish stores are long enough.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 3:52 pm
Hannah Andersson clothing is very expensive, but it lasts forever, and the dresses and skirts are usually below the knee.

When DD was around that age, I had the exact same problem. I got some cute fabric, some elastic, and made her some very simple skirts and dresses that lasted her several years. Her waist size stayed the same, she just got taller. When the skirts got too short on her I passed them down to other people in the community.

I used calico fabric (light cotton) and made the skirts double sided, so that there was a different pattern on the other side. If one side got a smudge on it, you could flip it around and wear the other side out before you had to wash it. It also made it a lot easier to match to different tops. By doubling the fabric, you also get rid of the need to wear a slip underneath.

DD and I had a lot of fun in the fabric store, picking out all the patterns for the fabric. There were a lot of ladybug prints available. 🐞

thriver

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 6:29 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Whatever I buy at Jewish stores, needs to be hemmed. I know of 2 companies that run short, I don't get those companies. But most of the dresses in the local jewish stores are long enough.

Do any of your local stores have websites?? I’m OOT. Would love recommendations.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 6:39 pm
thriver wrote:
Do any of your local stores have websites?? I’m OOT. Would love recommendations.

I shop alot at Jewish websites. Most give the measurements of each dress.

Luibelle
Buttons babe
Buttons and bows
Toetally you
The kids shop
Jellybeanz kids
Tottini
Kidichic
Lulu
Baby elaine
Youngtimers boutique
Petit perfection
Shirt stop
Ladida
Babylicious

You can always message them with inquiries you have.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:55 pm
op here, DD is a size 6. most dresses I found that fit her nicely (she is really skinny) don't come in a 6x. the size 7 is a HUGE jump. anything in the size up looked humongous and plain silly. last year I was able to go up a size for the length and it worked. this year its a short size 6 or nothing...

Thanks for the feedback

thriver

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
op here, DD is a size 6. most dresses I found that fit her nicely (she is really skinny) don't come in a 6x. the size 7 is a HUGE jump. anything in the size up looked humongous and plain silly. last year I was able to go up a size for the length and it worked. this year its a short size 6 or nothing...

Thanks for the feedback

Yes. Our issue here too. My girls are skinny. The going up sizes dress ends up hanging on them...

amother
Red

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 7:26 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I’m RW MO but I don’t like the very short look especially on Shabbos. I have to buy my tall 5 year old size 7 for this summer. That’s just what I have to do to get her through the season. I suggest you do the same

I have the same thing but my tall 5 year old is skinny so I need to buy her size 7 for the length but it is huge. so its either taking in the size 7 (sleeves adn shoulders also) or buying a size 5 or 6 and adding on.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:11 pm
A lot of dresses are impossible to size up on because they get terribly wide in the shoulders if you do. I usually shop on the Jewish sites that have the dress length listed along with the size - Luibelle is great!

In addition, I've heard that the trimming stores cater to this need exactly and have all kinds of fabrics so you can lengthen any dresses beautifully. I've never gotten around to checking if this is true, though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics