Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Buying a home without a master bathroom
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:31 pm
I’m curious if anyone owns a home without a master bathroom and if you feel like it’s not such a big deal or super annoying etc. We live in an area where this is fairly common ( older homes) and are looking at a home without one. The guest room would have a different bathroom so we would have to share the bathroom with our children- who are young. I grew up in a home with a master bathroom but we used my parents bathroom all the time, so the concept doesn’t feel so weird to me

hodeez

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:33 pm
We have 1 bathroom we share with 4 toddlers. Dynamic works fine.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:43 pm
I would hate it. But if it isn't in the budget, then it isn't in the budget and you find a way to make it work.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:15 pm
I grew up in a small home and we all shared one bathroom.
Now I’m married and our home has a large master bathroom. At first I thought it was an amazing luxury. After a number of years of living like this I don’t think I would be comfortable if we would ever move to a home without a master bath.

queen esther

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:50 pm
My first apartment had two bathrooms so one was just off our bedroom and was like a "master bath" and it was really nice. However, when it came to move to a house, the house we found had many good qualities but only one bathroom upstairs with bedrooms. Many houses here are like that unless remodeled so it didn't make sense to pass up a good house just bc of this reason. I would in theory love a master bath, but we manage fine without one, with three kids sharing it with us.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 10:07 pm
My tiny 1940s house only has 1 bathroom for the whole house. I miss having a 2nd bathroom. But we make it work. Id honestly love to have a 2nd bathroom, esp in my bedroom, but it’s not dealbreaker. And depending on the layout of the house, you could always remodel and add on the master bathroom. That’s something we have been thinking about doing eventually.

cozyblanket

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 10:08 pm
I always had a master bath until we bought a house. Now we don't have one and it's fine. We don't love it, but we got used to it. No house is perfect.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 10:09 pm
I grew up with 1 bathroom and currently live in an apartment with 1 bathroom.

A master bathroom would be amazing.

I think if I had one, I would find it super difficult to move back to just one.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:03 am
I live in an apartment without a master bath. Been here over eleven years and have 4 kids. I wish we had one but it's fine without. Just teach your kids to clean up after themselves.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:19 am
I live in a 2 bed 1 bath. I have 5 young boys. Alllllll I dream of is my own bathroom. I don't need a bigger kitchen. I don't need a playroom. I need my own bathroom.

twizzlers1

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:36 am
I will compromise on a lot of things but I really like having my own bathroom. not sure if I understood correctly but you said something about the guest room having a separate bathroom so could you use that for the master bedroom? I feel it's more important to have a master bathroom then for a guest bathroom for someone who is not here so often.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:11 am
Most houses where I live don’t have a master bathroom. I would love to put one in one day but it’s not in the budget right now and it’s not a priority either. We do have a second bathroom on the main floor with a shower, I would not have bought a home with only one bath/shower.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:16 am
It’s not common to have one in my neighborhood (KGH). We are fine except when we have guests. The guests have their own bathroom (in the attic) but need to come through our part of the house and it’s annoying because I need to get dressed to go to the bathroom. Many people put a door from the master bedroom to the bathroom. We haven’t done it yet.

thriver

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:32 am
No master bathroom. We manage. Grew up without one too. I’d love to have one. But I’d actually prefer to make a third bathroom in my attic before a master bath. It’s really a personal thing. Gotta think if you’d be comfortable. End of the day, it doesn’t matter about all the rest of us...

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:47 am
When we were looking to buy our house, a master bathroom was a dealbreaker. I would take fewer bedrooms, not ideal layout, smaller kitchen but needs a master bath.

We were living in 1 bathroom apt with 4 kids. I couldn't toilet-train my toddler because too many people using the bathroom would cause her to have accidents.

We moved to our house with 3 bathrooms (1 master, 1 for kids, and 1 downstairs near playroom and guest room) and I couldn't be more grateful. I don't know how anyone can live comfortably without one.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:49 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
It’s not common to have one in my neighborhood (KGH). We are fine except when we have guests. The guests have their own bathroom (in the attic) but need to come through our part of the house and it’s annoying because I need to get dressed to go to the bathroom. Many people put a door from the master bedroom to the bathroom. We haven’t done it yet.

And those houses go for $900,000!!!! Banging head

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:38 am
The house I grew up in had a master bath. However, we were a bunch of girls and my parents decided to give the girls the master bedroom.

When I first married I lived in a tiny apartment with one bathroom. We lived there until we had 4 kids (3 toilet trained). So once you get used to that, just having more than one bathroom is amazing.

We live in our house almost 4 years. They advertised the house as having a 2 floor master bedroom suite. The master bath was in the attic, that was only accessible through the master bedroom. We chose to move the access to the attic to make it a guest bedroom, and "lost" the master bath. My oldests are teen boys and share the bathroom with my kids.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:40 am
If there's a separate bathroom for guests and the master bathroom is just shared with the children, it probably wouldn't bother me so much. My kids are in my master bathroom all the time anyway.

But when I was looking to move, we looked at a bi-level where there was only one bathroom on the floor that had kitchen, dining room/living room, and master and children's bedrooms. That means if you host guests for the meal, they are using the master bathroom as well.

DH said no way Jose and we didn't take that house (I also didn't like the size of the kitchen. So those two reasons nixed it for us.)

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:40 am
No master bathroom for us. Which is fine, not a priority.
Honestly after owning a home for 10 years, what I really want to say is Marbeh nesachim marbeh daagah. The more things you have, the more you have to worry about. Plumbing isnt simple in a home and I'm happy not to have another toilet sink and shower to fix when it inevitably gets stuffed. Or to clean. Or to add on to our water bill.
I'm happy with what I have Baruch Hashem!
We have small 1/2 bath on our first floor and full bath upstairs.
(Brooklyn)

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 7:24 am
Would've loved one--I have 3 boys who can be disgusting sometimes, but when we were looking at houses there weren't many to choose from and ours did not. Bigger issue is that there's a direct line of sight from my bedroom to my kids' bedroom, and we're in a ranch house with the bedrooms very close to the living room with no practical way to separate them, so kind of annoying.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics