Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Breaking fast before megilla?

sidewalkchalk

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 10:23 am
I was pretty sure there's no problem for women and children breaking fast before they hear megilla - or this year, anyone who can't be at shul for whatever reason - but I can't find a source.

What does everyone else do?

My teenagers are old enough to go to shul on time but they prefer the later kriya - is that a good enough reason to break your fast before leining?

Marathon

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 10:29 am
I never fast taanis esther Smile

HH613

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 10:30 am
I just asked this shailah to my rav since this is the first year it’s applicable to me and he said to just put a reminder in my phone (as a shomer) that I need to hear Megillah. I don’t know if the same applies for teens-can you ask a shailah?

simcha2

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 10:31 am
I've asked in previous years for myself where DH and I have had to switch off for megilla readings. I was told of I'm going to the later reading I can break the fast but may not have mezonos or a full meal. Just snack type food.

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 10:38 am
From what I’ve heard over the years.. if someone is going to a later Megillah reading they may break their fast as long as there is someone who can remind them to hear Megillah later.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 10:41 am
Husbands coming home can serve as a shomer too.

teachkids

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:00 am
I plan on setting an alarm on my phone to "remind" me to hear Megillah and then eat once it's time. I'm not waiting until I get home from the later reading after 10 to eat.

questioner

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:04 am
Interestingly enough, it doesn't have to do with the fast but with not eating at a time that you are mechuyav in any mitzva. So, if I am *not* fasting, I don't eat from the time of megilla until after I hear the second kriah, which is not so difficult if it's not coming after a fast day.

If I am fasting, I rely on my husband be my shomer and eat something. IIRC I was told it is better not to have hamotzi or mezonos.

sidewalkchalk

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:42 am
Thanks all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics