Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Immunocompromised people’s life/ health don’t count?????????
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:34 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
It wasn't said sensitively but its just rationalizing anxiety. It is said because the same population is at risk from everything that goes around. But this is an unknown and for the wellbeing of others quarantine is a huge inconvenience but the decent thing to do if you feel sick. If you have even a slight doubt and are out, wear a mask. Of course we care about everybody.

Inconvenienced on one side of the equation, vs life and death on the other side of the equation. It shouldn't even be a question!

And, again, what people don't realize, if we don't put a stop to this virus, we will regardless all be inconvenienced. An overburdened or collapsing medical system will inconvenience us all.

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:38 pm
I think people are trying to put things in perspective.
Flu is also very dangerous to the same segments of the population. Yet most people I know roll their eyes over getting a flu shot. And I’m quite certain that when a coronavirus vaccine is out just as many will get it as they do with the flu.
Stop the hysteria. It’s a flu. Like swine flu was , sars etc.
Those who are most at risk should be taking extra precautions. The rest of us should carry on as usual.
The hysteria will not help. Hashem runs the world.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:52 pm
to think the issue here at hand is the quarantine...is really missing the point, like the whole forest for a tree. not minimizing quarantine in any way! It is one of the best weapons to stop it. Which will benefit everyone.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:53 pm
Culturedpearls wrote:
Flu is also very dangerous to the same segments of the population. Yet most people I know roll their eyes over getting a flu shot. And I’m quite certain that when a coronavirus vaccine is out just as many will get it as they do with the flu.
Those who are most at risk should be taking extra precautions. The rest of us should carry on as usual.

It took eight months for SARS to infect more than 8,000 people. CV has infected more than 75,000 people in about 8 weeks.

One months into the SARs outbreak, 5 people had died. The CV has killed over 200 people by that mark.

Is that still the same to you?

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:59 pm
again it should only be that "too much" is being made of this
BUT it is an unknown!
What if cvs they discovered later it made a % of people sterile R"L? Like measles cvs

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:04 pm
Culturedpearls wrote:

IOW, people are usually thoughtless and act without consideration of others, so why shouldn’t they continue.

Not a good argument.

No one is advocation hysteria. But when on another thread, someone said that she would continue to go about her business even if exposed because her risk is low, it’s infuriating.

Miri1

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:14 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
it’s not that we don’t care about the elderly or immunocompromised. Of course we do. As soon as the vaccine comes out I’ll get it as I did with the flu vaccine to protect myself and others as best I can.

What we are saying is that it’s way over the top and a little crazy to be quarantining everyone and their neighbor because they sneezed or stood in the same stadium as someone who sneezed when the majority of us won’t get affected (as in 80+% of us). Those who do need to worry should worry by taking extra steps they do to protect themselves from any virus such as flu etc.
but to halt life and the world for something that only a small tiny percentage will suffer from is just not practical or normal.

20% isn't a "small tiny percentage".

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:31 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
It took eight months for SARS to infect more than 8,000 people. CV has infected more than 75,000 people in about 8 weeks.

One months into the SARs outbreak, 5 people had died. The CV has killed over 200 people by that mark.

Is that still the same to you?

No they’re not the same. SARS was far more deadly but less contagious.
I’m comparing the hysteria.
Stop the hysteria & put things into proportion.
The nature of viruses is the more contagious the less deadly.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:36 pm
Culturedpearls wrote:
No they’re not the same. SARS was far more deadly but less contagious.
I’m comparing the hysteria.
Stop the hysteria & put things into proportion.
The nature of viruses is the more contagious the less deadly.

It's less deadly if you consider the same number of people in a group. If you have 100 people stricken with SARS, and 100 people stricken with CV, then more SARS patients will die.

BUT

With the nature of CV, being as contagious as it is, the number in the groups will never be the same. You'll have 100 people stricken with SARS vs 100,000 people stricken with CV (I'm using easy numbers for argument's sake). Therefore, the number of dead with CV will outnumber the number of dead with SARS. And the current stats prove it. SARS killed a total of 774 people. In 8 weeks alone, the number of CV dead was triple that amount. And it is still climbing.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:49 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
again it should only be that "too much" is being made of this
BUT it is an unknown!
What if cvs they discovered later it made a % of people sterile R"L? Like measles cvs

measles doens't make one sterile. you mean mumps. get your diseases in order.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 11:27 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
measles doens't make one sterile. you mean mumps. get your diseases in order.

Measles infections in adult men can in rare cases lead to infertility if severe testicular inflammation occurs.

There is talk that coronavirus seems to attack the kidneys and testes and there may be risk of that.

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 11:50 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
It's less deadly if you consider the same number of people in a group. If you have 100 people stricken with SARS, and 100 people stricken with CV, then more SARS patients will die.

BUT

With the nature of CV, being as contagious as it is, the number in the groups will never be the same. You'll have 100 people stricken with SARS vs 100,000 people stricken with CV (I'm using easy numbers for argument's sake). Therefore, the number of dead with CV will outnumber the number of dead with SARS. And the current stats prove it. SARS killed a total of 774 people. In 8 weeks alone, the number of CV dead was triple that amount. And it is still climbing.

So what exactly are you trying to say? Let’s keep the hysteria climbing? Go into a cave? Collapse entire economies?
Get a grip. Hashem runs the world. The virus can run it’s course or slow down.
Getting hysterical isn’t going to change a thing.
Wash your hands & carry on!

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 11:52 pm
Culturedpearls wrote:
So what exactly are you trying to say? Let’s keep the hysteria climbing? Go into a cave? Collapse entire economies?
Get a grip. Hashem runs the world. The virus can run it’s course or slow down.
Getting hysterical isn’t going to change a thing.
Wash your hands & carry on!

Very simple. Follow the guidelines the CDC puts forth, and follow the quarantine instructions if/when they are enacted. No reason for anyone to be the smart aleck who says he/she knows better.

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 10:43 am
I don't think people think that you don't count, its more that why THIS virus more than ANY virus? The hype has people thinking that this virus is akin to the next Bubonic Plague--when the reality seems that its not worse than the flu. If your immuocompromised due to chemo or other reason than ANY virus is dangerous. Yes, there's a slightly higher concern b/c there is no vaccine and since its new there is no immunity for any body, but the amount of mass hysteria and panic is overblown worldwide.
In my humble opinion, I'm grateful in a land of 1.3 billion people, there have been 94,000 reported cases worldwide, that's less than .000075 of people--and that's just counting China! Yes there are probably more people who have it, but you can say that about any disease.

I had once been exposed to strep--girl in my class came back positive that day-- the day I was supposed to go to E"Y for the first time and I was terrified I was going to get it, I didn't get it. The first time I did get it, I didn't know a single person before me or after me who got it considering I went to work while infectious because I didn't know that I'd had it.

I once heard--and I don't remember the source, but I learnt it around the time of the avian flu, that one of the things we daven for in Barech Aleinu is that the food we eat should be healthful--is to combat the illnesses around us. Hashem is in control. Either you will get it or you wont. In times of extreme kedusha we see the highest levels of tumah. Purim is a high time of kedusha, thus high levels of satan intervention. If you have actual reason to be quarantined or cautious, do so. But if not, don't let the Satan rob you of the most powerful day of the year!

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:40 am
If it is indeed similar to the flu then that would be similar to SPANISH FLU

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:53 am
Vosizneias just posted an article by an epidemiologist -- very sobering.
He says in part of his conclusion "it is not a cold it is not the flu."
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics