Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Buying a home without a master bathroom
Previous  1  2

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 10:30 am
I don’t have one and I’m okay. We do have 2.5 baths total though.
I would definitely like to add one in the future but it doesn’t seem like it will happen anytime soon.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 10:32 am
I think this is so specific to where you live.

I grew up in Midwood in a house built in 1920 and there was ONE bathroom. My childhood home wasn't built for a wealthy person but even the larger homes in Midwood like the Queen Anne/Victorian ones closer to what is now called Kensington had one bathroom for the whole family. Having INDOOR plumbing at all was considered to be luxurious. Very Happy

Very expensive apartments/condos in Manhattan or even parts of Brooklyn are built without a master bathroom because square footage is so expensive.

Sometime in the 1960's or so, middle class homes began to be built with a master bathroom as well as a powder room if possible. Those master baths tended to be the very small sizes - often with just a stall shower.

Now homes built for the middle class are built with relatively large master bathrooms and there is an expectation that homes in those areas would have them.

As others have posted, it really depends on what your priorities are. Someone who wants to live in a desirable urban area close to "amenities", shorter commutes is going to be willing to forego a master bathroom because other stuff is more important. Those who are willing to live in suburban areas with newer homes probably would not give up a master bathroom because it is possible to get a master bathroom within their price range since it is typical construction.

Personally I would be fine WITHOUT a master bathroom if I lived in an urban area but I would NOT live without a master bathroom in a suburban area where it was typical.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:07 pm
Chayalle wrote:
If there's a separate bathroom for guests and the master bathroom is just shared with the children, it probably wouldn't bother me so much. My kids are in my master bathroom all the time anyway.

But when I was looking to move, we looked at a bi-level where there was only one bathroom on the floor that had kitchen, dining room/living room, and master and children's bedrooms. That means if you host guests for the meal, they are using the master bathroom as well.

DH said no way Jose and we didn't take that house (I also didn't like the size of the kitchen. So those two reasons nixed it for us.)

Yes exactly. There is a bathroom on the first floor and a bathroom on the second floor which we would share with our kids. 2 bathrooms, just not one that is in the master suite. Not sure we could make our kids use the one downstairs all the time, but we could try

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:13 pm
Please don't make your kids use the downstairs one all the time. That is so disrespectful of them. Teach them proper bathroom habits and that's that.
Keep in mind, most people actually prefer to keep the first floor bathroom clean since it's the guest bathroom as well.

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:15 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
I always had a master bath until we bought a house. Now we don't have one and it's fine. We don't love it, but we got used to it. No house is perfect.

This. I wish I had a master bath but its not a deal breaker. Its what we could afford.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:23 pm
I grew up in a house with one, and DH did not. It was important to me when we were househunting, but we bought in an area with older homes that don't have them unless they've been heavily remodeled. Kids are still young, so it hasn't been a problem, and I have also come to realize, as others have said, that you can get used to anything, and some of the expectations that I had as a younger adult based on what I was accustomed to (large house, master bath, etc.) are nice to have, but not necessary.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:34 pm
It would be a dealbreaker for me, but I’m very into my own space and I know not everyone is like me. Even my newborns don’t sleep in my room.

keym

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:45 pm
I once rented a house in which the upstairs bathroom also had a door to the master bedroom.
In theory, it should have been great having a bathroom right off my room
In reality, I hated it. Having to lock both doors. Constantly dealing with locked and unlocked bedroom and bathroom doors. Oh it drove me crazy.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics