Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
This makes me think the coronavirus isnt so worrisome
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:23 pm
This makes me think theres no reason to panic and think that chv the hospitals wont fill up and have any more room for beds

https://matzav.com/100-year-ol.....ness/

itsmeima

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:42 pm
I love one case studies.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:45 pm
rockland now has four cases of carona virus
westchster has more they closed all the scarsdale schools now all the jewish schools are still closed

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This makes me think theres no reason to panic and think that chv the hospitals wont fill up and have any more room for beds

https://matzav.com/100-year-ol.....ness/

Seriously?

Tell that to the families of the people who have already died. I'm sure it will cheer them up immensely.

Rolling Eyes

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:50 pm
itsmeima wrote:
I love one case studies.

Its the exception that proves the rule.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:57 pm
It's a good source of hope for those who are ill, but not really demonstrative of anything. I don't think that even the most pessimistic of estimates said that there was a 100% mortality rate, among ANY age group.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 1:08 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Seriously?

Tell that to the families of the people who have already died. I'm sure it will cheer them up immensely.

Rolling Eyes

People can die from the common cold does that mean the common cold is dangerous??
Honestly I think the panic for the virus is ridiculous. Just make sure to keep washing your hands and dont touch your face. And daven.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
People can die from the common cold does that mean the common cold is dangerous??
Honestly I think the panic for the virus is ridiculous. Just make sure to keep washing your hands and dont touch your face. And daven.

The death rate from this virus is more than 3%. How many kids do you have? How many kids in their classes? 3 kids? 25 in each class? That's 150 parents, 300 grandparents. On the average, using the death rate now known, that would mean 13 or 14 shivas for you to attend if, as anticipated, most everyone gets it. Unless, of course, they'd be visiting you.

I don't advise panic. But its absurd to compare this to the common cold.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:27 pm
100+ daily deaths in Italy. And you say this isn't worrisome?

wiki

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:32 pm
The bigger issue is not even the "2 percent" who die from the disease...it's that none of us have antibodies, and it's increasing at an exponential rate, and if this keeps on going for another month or two, a huge percentage of the population would have it all at one time....
And somewhere from 10 to 20 percent of survivors require a respirator to survive. That is WAY beyond the capacity of our health care system.

The quarantines might not affect the total percentage who get ill, but they are expected to slow down the rate of infection and drag things out. Which seems like a pain, but prevents everyone from getting sick all at once.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:32 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
The death rate from this virus is more than 3%. How many kids do you have? How many kids in their classes? 3 kids? 25 in each class? That's 150 parents, 300 grandparents. On the average, using the death rate now known, that would mean 13 or 14 shivas for you to attend if, as anticipated, most everyone gets it. Unless, of course, they'd be visiting you.

I don't advise panic. But its absurd to compare this to the common cold.

Source? They don't have a death rate yet as NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING.

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:37 pm
The lack of a vaccination coupled with it being a new virus so no one has acquired any immunity when younger is what makes it extremely troubling.

In my experience, most elderly people get the flu vaccine. Elderly people living in assisted living or nursing homes all get the flu vaccine as do health care workers. When my grandfather was in an assisted living facility, his caretaker had to show proof he was vaccinated.

So the Coronavirus hits hardest at people who are elderly and unlike the flu, none of them have immunity. Therefore, theoretically you will have a lot of very serious cases which require intensive medical intervention.

Not that severe symptoms or death are only for the elderly, but at least with flu, a significant percentage of those most vulnerable have protected themselves.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:46 pm
But people die all the time. If that wasn't cause for panic all along, it still isn't now.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:49 pm
Lets take things a step further - say you are one of the lucky ones who beat Corona, but then develop a secondary bacterial infection due to a weakened immune system. That can kill you just as quick as a virus can if you don't respond to the right antibiotics, and you get them too late.

Doctors are so nervous to give antibiotics these days (and for good reason), that some people who desperately need them are being told "wait it out", or being given antibiotics that are too weak to work on whatever bacteria is going around. Weak antibiotics create superbugs.

You can die of bacterial pneumonia, or viral pneumonia, but you're still just as dead. Same thing for encephalitis. If you don't have pneumonia and encephalitis vaccines that are up to date (do you even know what your titres are?) then you shouldn't be taking things so casually.

Another thing - it's great that kids are not getting sick from Corona, and CVS dying from it. B'H, no sarcasm intended. The thing is, healthy people can carry the virus and give it to other people - without showing any symptoms themselves.

Oh, and the cherry on top? You can get reinfected with Corona. Surviving it does not build immunity. Pretty cool, huh?

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:49 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
But people die all the time. If that wasn't cause for panic all along, it still isn't now.

You're not serious, are you?

Pandemics are completely different than deaths that occur in normal numbers for *normal* reasons.

The pandemic of the plague during the Middle Ages completely reshaped society for hundreds of years because even though people had always *died*.

And the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918/1919 was completely different in terms of the impact all of the deaths and illnesses clustering in a short period of time was.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:50 pm
And how does panicking help?

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:51 pm
A concern just as important as those who may die from coronavirus is the growing number of people who say they want to.

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:52 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
A concern just as important as those who may die from coronavirus is the growing number of people who say they want to.

Are you saying you know people who want to die?

If so, you must know a very *interesting* group of people.

Not to be cavalier, but if someone wants to die, they are suicidal and should be sent for a psych evaluation for a hold.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 2:54 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

Nobody is saying to panic. The point is to be educated as much as you can, and make informed decisions for yourself and the common good.

As for "people die all the time", do you let your kids play in traffic? Of course not! You use common sense and tell them to stay on the sidewalk. Do you panic every time a car zooms by?

You can wash your hands, cover your cough, and also daven. It's not an either/or type of thing.
Hashem gave us seichel for a reason. I just wish more people would use it. Can't Believe It

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:22 pm
And this makes me think it is very worrisome:

Italy lockdown conditions extended to ENTIRE country since situation is out of control
https://www.theguardian.com/wo.....kdown

‘Get ready’: Italian doctors warn Europe of coronavirus impact on hospitals
https://www.independent.co.uk/......html
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics