Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Bankruptcy due to tuition
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:28 pm
Wait, OP's husband isn't working? What's there to discuss about this situation, then? Unless he's a stay at home dad, in which case maybe he can watch another kid for money

ddmom

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 10:10 pm
mirror wrote:
I have a friend who knows other people's finances. She told me that she knows of people who go collecting to pay their kids' tuitions.

Purim is a good time to start!!! Sad

mirror

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:13 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
before people recommend people to move to anyplace in ohio for tuition reasons I suggest they wait until it is decided if and how "edchoice" will be continued. Right now its "uinder discussion".

By the way, the Yeshivos in South Bend, Indiana are funded privately by a family in part. There is also a voucher program from the government. The tricky part is finding employment.

https://www.southbendtribune.c......html

Quote:
Their world improved dramatically last fall, Zev said, when they moved to South Bend’s Twyckenham Hills area — Tehiya and the girls flew while Zev drove their belongings in a U-Haul. Here, they’re renting a three-bedroom house with a yard for less than half of their L.A. apartment rent. They soon plan to buy a home, possibly spending around $150,000 instead of the nearly $1 million that many typical Pico-Robertson homes cost. And the girls attend South Bend Hebrew Day School for free, thanks to Indiana’s school choice voucher program.

Quote:
Aryeh’s chef and assistant manager, David Brandes, 34, moved here in 2016 from West Rogers Park, Chicago’s largest Orthodox community, with his wife Eliana and the two children they had then. Eliana was able to start telecommuting in her job as a paralegal with a Skokie, Ill., law firm. For the first couple of months in South Bend, David said he didn’t work because he was relishing their newfound disposable income.

“When we were in Chicago I would say we were losing $300 a month, and that was with me working three jobs and my wife’s job,” Brandes said. “We move here and all of the sudden I’m up $300 a month, and that was just with her job.”

In Chicago, rent and tuition ate up nearly half of their combined $60,000 annual income.

Last edited by mirror on Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:49 am; edited 2 times in total

pizza4

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:31 am
I know several people who started driving for uber or local car services, in between jobs. It's a great, easy way to bring in immediate cash. Or doing deliveries for companies.
OP your dh should step up to the plate and think hard of something he can do.
We were many times quite cash strapped but what kept me going was seeing how hard dh worked, and when something wasnt working out he tried another thing, and then another. Kept looking for more opportunities, spoke to people about it etc.

mommyX2

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 1:57 am
can your husband work at the school? often schools give huge breaks if a parent works there.

RuralIma

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:28 pm
Could your kids do an online school until you're in a better position to afford tuition? I know you mentioned you tried homeschooling before and it didn't work but perhaps an online school with actual teachers would keep them more focused, accountable of their work, and structured than trying to homeschool solo. There are currently two online day schools: Melamed Academy and Online Hebrew School (Offers scholarships but only goes up to 8th grade). It wouldn't have to be a permanent switch but maybe it could help cut costs enough to be comfortable until something else is able to change?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics