Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Remind me, why am I fasting?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:40 pm
Seriously!

I'm so ready to break my fast.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seriously!

I'm so ready to break my fast.

Why indeed? Women are not required to fast taanis esther.

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:47 pm
On the 13th of Adar there was a war. The people of the Kingdom of Ahashveirosh were allowed to kill the Jews, but the Jews were allowed to fight back. At the onset of war, soldiers go out to war on the front line, and people at home fast to help them spiritually. But with this war, the whole country was on the front line. Only one person could fast. That was Esther HaMalkah. Because no one was going go into the palace to try to kill her. That's why we fast.

If you are sick at all you probably should not be fasting because you are also then on the frontline of the current war against Coronavirus. But talk to a Rav.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:16 pm
Papaya, your post is fake-news.

Some women, do not have to fast.
Some people do not have to fast.
Stating that women do not have to fast on Taanis Esther is inaccurate.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:37 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
On the 13th of Adar there was a war. The people of the Kingdom of Ahashveirosh were allowed to kill the Jews, but the Jews were allowed to fight back. At the onset of war, soldiers go out to war on the front line, and people at home fast to help them spiritually. But with this war, the whole country was on the front line. Only one person could fast. That was Esther HaMalkah. Because no one was going go into the palace to try to kill her. That's why we fast.

If you are sick at all you probably should not be fasting because you are also then on the frontline of the current war against Coronavirus. But talk to a Rav.

Thanks, I needed this!

So we fast because she did?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:42 pm
I'm hazy on the details, but I heard once that it is odd that we fast tannis Esther now, when her fast was on Pesach really. The answer was that through her fast we merited the geula. Purim has a special koach of Geula, and if we want to be raoi for that, we should do the fasting part too. That's what is keeping me going.

Obviously if people have reasons not to fast, that does not mean the kochos of Purim aren't open to them...

Good luck with the rest of it; you're almost there!

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:23 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I'm hazy on the details, but I heard once that it is odd that we fast tannis Esther now, when her fast was on Pesach really. The answer was that through her fast we merited the geula. Purim has a special koach of Geula, and if we want to be raoi for that, we should do the fasting part too. That's what is keeping me going.

Obviously if people have reasons not to fast, that does not mean the kochos of Purim aren't open to them...

Good luck with the rest of it; you're almost there!

Thanks so much for this. I was ready to break my fast but you're my inspiration.

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 7:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, I needed this!

So we fast because she did?

That is my understanding. And I should have said above, everything I wrote is based on Rabbi YY Jacobson's shiur on Purim last year (5779) on Torah Anytime.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics