Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How hard is it to learn how to lein megillah?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 11:48 am
This year, I regret not learning in the past. It's scary having to meet in public to hear megillah.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 3:09 pm
It's not terribly HARD, but it is time-consuming.

1) Learn the sounds that each of the trop symbols make. Practice them on different words. Note which part of the word they are meant to be sung on (some are sung on the first or last syllables).

2) Read through the Megillah numerous times to familiarize yourself with the pesukim and perakim. Use a Tikun Korim. Pay attention to Kri and Ksiv.

3) Using a recording of the Megillah, follow along numerous times. Note where you couldn't accurately predict how the words would be sung.

4) Get a list of the places where incorrect nekudos change the meaning of the words, and therefore may invalidate the Megillah reading.

5) Practice, practice, and practice.

(I know the trop moderately well and am pretty familiar with the words and pesukim, I can correct DH on his trop when he is leining. I enjoy listening to Megillah recordings. I still would need to put in many hours to feel confident leining.)

Chabad in many places offers private Megillah readings in your home, including having it read 10 feet from an open door for those quarantined.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 3:11 pm
Lots of people are available to lein privately for a fee. My dh leins every year, and every year he spends at least ten hours reviewing in the week leading up to Purim- and that's with many years of experience (he is a baal koreh during the year as well).

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 3:16 pm
If you are an auditory learner, it's not too hard. Different people, different skills.

BTW, I've never heard of someone laining megillah for a fee. Generally, if you are going to someone's house, it's because the person is not well enough to come to shul. Why would you charge for that? Is this for private parties?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 3:21 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
If you are an auditory learner, it's not too hard. Different people, different skills.

BTW, I've never heard of someone laining megillah for a fee. Generally, if you are going to someone's house, it's because the person is not well enough to come to shul. Why would you charge for that? Is this for private parties?

Yes, my dh has been hired by wealthy people who prefer to have someone lein at home for various reasons. Of course there are also people who are homebound and he has leined for free as well in those cases.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 3:50 pm
I have had various male relatives lein every year at people's houses, never for a fee.
Just a nosy, curious question, what is the going rate for leining megillah for the wealthy?

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 4:00 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I have had various male relatives lein every year at people's houses, never for a fee.
Just a nosy, curious question, what is the going rate for leining megillah for the wealthy?

My husband is paid $120 for leining at night and day (he is hired by someone in their house for his wife)

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 5:47 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
My husband is paid $120 for leining at night and day (he is hired by someone in their house for his wife)

I'm not wealthy but I'd pay that for megillah at home before if pay for new shoes. One year I gave birth 2 days before purim and stayed cozy on my couch while someone leinef for me. It was the best chag!

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 7:33 pm
My dh is homebound and usually leins but couldn’t this year.
Someone read for us last night as a chessed and this morning another person read for 50$ (this is a parnassah for some)

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 7:38 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

Honestly? Usually the wealthy individual has someone contact my dh with an offer. The offer is always very generous. So there's no actual going rate for private leining, at least for him.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 10:27 pm
I learned from the JOFA website.
NB it's much harder than I thought because the megillah scroll is bli nekudot!!! I leined one chapter during a woman's group reading (we divided things up). Not easy but I'm happy I did it!

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 10:44 pm
I've always wanted to learn. I just don't have head space for it at this point in my life.

salt

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 8:58 am
I know we're after Purim already, but just for the record, if you need to read megilla by yourself at home, you don't have to lein with the trop.
You have to lein from a klaf, and you need someone to follow from the text, and correct you if you don't get all the vowels right, but you don't need the correct trop, in order to be yotzei.

No source sorry, but I've been told by my son who is a ba'al koreh and knows the halachot well.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 9:21 am
Most of us already know most of it. If for 30 days before you listen to the whole thing every day and once a week read from klaf you'll have it down by next Purim
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics