Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help my airline just changed my sons flight to Friday
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 9:30 pm
I booked a flight for my son to return to the US from Israel for Pesach some time ago. I just got an email, today, stating that his flight was changed from Thursday morning to Friday morning. Obviously that is not ok, as the plane would be landing in JFK Friday afternoon.

What do I do now? Did anybody have this? Anyone else on his flight that had the same change?

I booked through just fly using Aeroflot.

Thanks

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 9:42 pm
Have you tried calling the airline and explaining?

Given that it's a flight from Israel, I'm sure your son won't be the only passenger for whom the switch is problematic.

Can he take a flight for a few days earlier?

At what time on Friday is he currently scheduled to land?

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 9:56 pm
I would assume that it is because they cancelled and therefore consolidated flight because of the tremendous decrease in air travel. That being said, while I am all for flexibility, I am not when you are risking running into Shabbos. You are going to need to call and sit on hold forever until you get a live human. He may need to leave the Monday before or after, and you won't have many choice, but clearly this cannot stand.

Just an FYI, ~a dozen girls left/are leaving my DD's Sem this week because they are afraid if they don't go home now, they will have problems as it gets closer to Pesach, as who knows what flights will be cancelled. That being said, I think the problem will be when they try to return to Israel, as if the quarantine remains, where are the Sem girls going to stay?FYI, the schools are encouraging the kids to stay for YT and are finding places for them to go.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:01 am
waer mask on the flight
get a direct flight
use hand sanitizer and wipe down tray s
sitting next to the window is best
since in the aisle seats passenger spaas you by
some airlines the steradess who serves the food will wear gloves

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:29 am
You might want to rethink him coming home. I am probably not going to bring my daughter home for Pesach. Crying Crying Crying Crying I want her to finish the year. I'm also scared of booking tickets because airlines keep going bust or cancelling flights.

singleagain

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:36 am
Another option would be to reach out the the community closest to JFK and find out if someone can host him

Zehava

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:00 am
I say if you really want him home keep the flight and figure it out. It’s really hard to get flights and changes out of Israel now.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:10 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
waer mask on the flight
get a direct flight
use hand sanitizer and wipe down tray s
sitting next to the window is best
since in the aisle seats passenger spaas you by
some airlines the steradess who serves the food will wear gloves

what does this have to do with OP's question?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I booked a flight for my son to return to the US from Israel for Pesach some time ago. I just got an email, today, stating that his flight was changed from Thursday morning to Friday morning. Obviously that is not ok, as the plane would be landing in JFK Friday afternoon.

What do I do now? Did anybody have this? Anyone else on his flight that had the same change?

Thanks

Where do you live, and which flight?

Shabbat is not until 6:43 this week. If he's scheduled to get in at 12:40, you should be fine, unless he has a connecting flight to wherever it is that you are.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:14 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Where do you live, and which flight?

Shabbat is not until 6:43 this week. If he's scheduled to get in at 12:40, you should be fine, unless he has a connecting flight to wherever it is that you are.

He's scheduled to come in now at 3:30 pm. In any case, you are not allowed, halachically, to travel so close to shabbos.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He's scheduled to come in now at 3:30 pm. In any case, you are not allowed, halachically, to travel so close to shabbos.
why nit? Never heard of such a halacha.
I traveled from israel to america, years ago, on a friday. I think we had 2 hours to spare by the time we got to my parent's home. It was a little bit stressful, but completely fine.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:31 am
Anyway now I'm not even sure if there will be a flight altogether Sad. Everyone I speak to is panicking and people who were planning to go to the US for pesach have moved up their flights and many have already left... I have to think this through.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:35 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
why nit? Never heard of such a halacha.
I traveled from israel to america, years ago, on a friday. I think we had 2 hours to spare by the time we got to my parent's home. It was a little bit stressful, but completely fine.

Um its a straight out halacha. Do you have an English kitzur shulchan aruch at home? It's worth a read.

Mayflower

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:43 am
We once had the case travelling to Israel on Friday, we would be arriving after chatzos. We asked a shaila and were told me that when travelling by plane, one can be more lenient. Either the plane leaves with a delay causing a problem for Shabbos, in which case you don't get on the plane, or it leaves on time, in which case you can board (meaning: there less surprises because it's not like you can get stuck in traffic...). So we were given a heter because of this AND because we were travelling for a mitzvah.

OTOH last year (I think?) a plane to Israel was diverted and people were stuck in Athens for Shabbos...you wouldn't want that.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:45 am
Mayflower wrote:
We once had the case travelling to Israel on Friday, we would be arriving after chatzos. We asked a shaila and were told me that when travelling by plane, one can be more lenient. Either the plane leaves with a delay causing a problem for Shabbos, in which case you don't get on the plane, or it leaves on time, in which case you can board (meaning: there less surprises because it's not like you can get stuck in traffic...). So we were given a heter because of this AND because we were travelling for a mitzvah.

OTOH last year (I think?) a plane to Israel was diverted and people were stuck in Athens for Shabbos...you wouldn't want that.

My son is super frum so I'm pretty sure he's not going to try getting a heter. Also there's traffic from JFK home... I'm going to have to figure this all out. Thanks to all who posted, appreciate you're trying to help me!

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 12:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thanks

Same thing happened to my son.
It says on aeroflot website they will reimburse you for the flight.
We booked on united for cheaper leaving on motsaei shabbos!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:08 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Same thing happened to my son.
It says on aeroflot website they will reimburse you for the flight.
We booked on united for cheaper leaving on motsaei shabbos!

To clarify - you canceled and then booked on united?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:11 pm
OMG! I just saw very very cheap flights air Canada and Swiss air. Should I book them and take a chance?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 4:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OMG! I just saw very very cheap flights air Canada and Swiss air. Should I book them and take a chance?

First check thst they are actually flying , I heard that they stopped service between israel and Switzerland....
Check dans deal site for up to date info about cancelation.
If you go on aeroflot website they write that they will reimburse you for cancelled flight.
That's what we did,ask for a refund and bought a new one.
I would go first with air canada more than swiss air.
We booked with united and no stopover in Europe!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 5:13 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
First check thst they are actually flying , I heard that they stopped service between israel and Switzerland....
Check dans deal site for up to date info about cancelation.
If you go on aeroflot website they write that they will reimburse you for cancelled flight.
That's what we did,ask for a refund and bought a new one.
I would go first with air canada more than swiss air.
We booked with united and no stopover in Europe!

When is your son flying? Our original flight was for March 26. I am worried that the next airline will cancel and not refund... I'm wondering if I should cancel and rebook or leave it in the hope that Aeroflot will actually fly as scheduled as so far Moscow is not affected....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics