Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Megillah leining over phone

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:35 pm
Anyone have a number or know where I can call in?

teachkids

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:45 pm
The ou and YU both have. Check their websites maybe

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:33 am
I learned that you have to hear the megillah reading directly. How would it help to listen to it over the phone?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:36 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I learned that you have to hear the megillah reading directly. How would it help to listen to it over the phone?

There are people who are quarantined, or who have health issues that make it advisable not to go into a crowd, who have no ability to hear it directly. For that reason, zoom and call in -- all live, not recordings -- were set up this year.

Its between the listener and Hashem, with rabbinic advice. MYOB.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:50 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:

That's ideal. But there are situations when you are allowed to hear over the phone. Especially women.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:50 am
This was posted on Nishmat's website on the subject.

Quote:
Ones Rahmanah Patreh, one is exempt from a mitzvah that one cannot fulfill because of circumstances beyond one’s control. It is an obligatory mitzvah to remain in the quarantine room. Therefore, if one cannot hear a kosher reading, one is exempt from the mitzvah of a kosher Megillah reading. In such a case, one should read oneself from a Tanakh. If this is not possible, one can listen to a reading via telephone or internet. Although this does not fulfill the mitzvah of hearing the Megillah, it does provide for the spiritual benefit of hearing the Megillah.

It's not ideal, but this year there are extenuating circumstances, and it's better than nothing.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:56 am
Elfrida wrote:
This was posted on Nishmat's website on the subject.

Quote:
Ones Rahmanah Patreh, one is exempt from a mitzvah that one cannot fulfill because of circumstances beyond one’s control. It is an obligatory mitzvah to remain in the quarantine room. Therefore, if one cannot hear a kosher reading, one is exempt from the mitzvah of a kosher Megillah reading. In such a case, one should read oneself from a Tanakh. If this is not possible, one can listen to a reading via telephone or internet. Although this does not fulfill the mitzvah of hearing the Megillah, it does provide for the spiritual benefit of hearing the Megillah.

It's not ideal, but this year there are extenuating circumstances, and it's better than nothing.

Per OU

Quote:
For those who need to be in isolation due to COVID-19, the following Halachic guidance is based on the ruling issued for our communities by Rav Hershel Schachter, שליט״א.

The clear majority of Halachic authorities do not consider Halachically adequate a Megillah reading heard over the phone or online. There is however a minority opinion that does allow for this, provided that the reading is live, and not pre-recorded. Following the Halachic principle that we may rely upon minority opinions under extenuating circumstances – שעת הדחק כדיעבד דמי וכדאי הוא ר״ש לסמוך עליו בשעת הדחק – this minority opinion can be relied upon for those who are in mandated isolation.

IMPORTANT: Even for those in isolation, the ideal solution is to have a kosher, hand-written Megillah in hand which they read from audibly, either on their own (even without the correct טעמי המקרא, cantillation), or assisted by a reading heard by phone or on-line. In such situations – as in all situations where there is no Minyan present – the closing Bracha following Megillah reading is not recited.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics