Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
It's not fair!
Previous  1  2

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 4:30 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
There are two types of people who bring explosives to shul: Terrorists, and annoying kids who need to set off firecrackers every time the name "Haman" is said, plus a few at other times.

Like, real firecrackers? I've never heard of such a thing. We get mostly boxes of rice.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 4:46 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
There are two types of people who bring explosives to shul: Terrorists, and annoying kids who need to set off firecrackers every time the name "Haman" is said, plus a few at other times.

Firecrackers? Do you mean pop-its? If so, what is so terrible about them?

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 5:09 pm
people making noise in shul used to totally stress me out now I go to a late megilla at night, no kids usually and a private megilla during the day.

I found out after the fact that my dh sent my 5 year old by herself to the women's section for megillah reading since she last minute decided she didn't want to go to the kids minyan he brought her for, she wasn't in the mood to walk down the flight of stairs. She claims she was silent the whole time. I really hope so!

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 5:20 pm
Some people davka bring their kids because they want them to have the experience of hearing the Megillah and booing Haman etc. I really liked what my shul did this year: they had a special kid’s “reading” in the middle of the day, short and completely non-halachic, where select pesukim were read with plenty of Hamans. The kids loved it!

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:01 am
I always wonder if those bringing their toddler and young kids practice at home keeping the kids quiet for 40 minutes at a time.
There is no way that you can be sure your kids will be quiet, and there are so many alternative readings and private readings....I just don’t get it.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:17 am
My shul had a lot of kids. They made noise. But it wasn’t loud of bad enough that people had to miss sentences or paragraphs. I bring kids because I have a party to attend right after and waiting for dh to lein would kill a lot of time. I come early (usually there the first) and sit in the corner- farthest away as possible. I bring some quiet toys like mitzvah kinder and a snack. The kids end up being pretty well behaved bh.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:24 am
Can I jump in here and say how awful it is coming after a full day fast with a splitting headache to hear megillah, only to have to sit through 5 minutes of ear-splitting noises every time Haman's name is read.
Really kills the Purim spirit for me.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:41 am
I once had to go hear again because of a crying baby right behind me that the mother kept in the room. I let her know how upset I was.
Cell phones are another big problem that caused someone in our shul to miss some words and hear again.
Also, some adults and teens seem oblivious to the fact that talking during megillah is not permitted.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:11 am
Where I live there are plenty of women's readings around the neighborhood and you select which is the best time and location. They are usually fast and it's taken for granted children don't come. There's often a discreet banging by the first and last haman, and that's it.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:17 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Firecrackers? Do you mean pop-its? If so, what is so terrible about them?

Party snappers - a 16 year old boy in israel had all his fingers blown off from them

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Can I jump in here and say how awful it is coming after a full day fast with a splitting headache to hear megillah, only to have to sit through 5 minutes of ear-splitting noises every time Haman's name is read.
Really kills the Purim spirit for me.

I typically look for readings where they bang the 1st and last haman only. More and more shuls are starting to do that.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:23 am
In my community someone makes a kids megillah reading so that the kids who are not old enough to be quiet can go to megillah reading . Personally I always wondered why kids are taught about it from preschool and make all these fancy groggers. It's like asking for a temper tantrum in my opinion . I think they should he taught megillah is a mitzvah for adults and just learn the store until at least 2nd-3rd grade.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 12:26 pm
I go to a 9:30pm megillah layning. It always boggles my mind how many women bring their babies to this reading. LEAVE THEM HOME. Isn't your husband home? What point is there to bring a baby? Even the baal koreh kept having to stop for the baby.

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 12:43 pm
Here is my vent:

This year and last year we had the day megillah readings at our school, which I quite like, because we can see the whole community, and exchange shaloch manos without having to drive all over the city.

There are children, and I expect noise. The reader is loud enough for me to hear.

However, this year, several children decided to bring cans of silly string and sprayed across the room, before and during the reading. The fumes from the aerosol cans bothered me the whole time. I couldn't concentrate, because all the time I was thinking "I need to get out of here." (Never mind shushing. Try indicating to other people's children to stop spraying around you during the reading!) This is the first time I ever thought to myself that never again, will I want to go to a reading with children around. I am usually okay with noise I expect from children, but when I have to try not to breath in fumes, and I can't leave, that's another issue.

(My twelve year old daughter and I prefer the quieter readings too. That's what we did at night.)

Chaya123

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:05 pm
Yup, this is classic and on Yomim Noraim too. Every speaker begs the women to keep their children home. I would be dan l'kaf zechus this woman but it definitely is very annoying. I always switch off and there are plenty of women's only readings all over town.

Chaya123

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:07 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I go to a 9:30pm megillah layning. It always boggles my mind how many women bring their babies to this reading. LEAVE THEM HOME. Isn't your husband home? What point is there to bring a baby? Even the baal koreh kept having to stop for the baby.

Some husbands aren't home then like mine, but I have children old enough to babysit or switch off with. When my children were younger, either my husband had to be home then or at the very least, I would have neighbor or someone else watch or take them to women's reading at home so it doesn't disturb huge crowd.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics