Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
If you live with other tenants, who takes garbage to street?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:36 pm
I live in an apartment building with a few other tenants. We don't generate a lot of trash but obviously the bigger families do. We all use the same garbage cans (nothing designated and it's not going to happen). Our garbage never gets taken out to the street and just builds up until someone finally takes some but it never gets really clean. My DH doesn't want to shlep everyone else's garbage and I understand him. I'm wondering how other places do it.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:38 pm
My parents live in a 4 family building. They have a rotation, every week a different family is entirely responsible for all trash. It works great.

sub

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:45 pm
Perhaps hire someone for maintenance, with everyone sharing in the cost? We have neighboring buildings with such an arrangement. I saw the same person taking out the garbage bins and recycling And sweeping up, for 3 of the buildings.

watergirl

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:49 pm
Buy your own trash can. Label it and only use that. Then only take yours out.

Or ask the landlord to make a system. OR - whoever cleans the common area should also do this.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 1:59 pm
watergirl wrote:
Buy your own trash can. Label it and only use that. Then only take yours out.

Or ask the landlord to make a system. OR - whoever cleans the common area should also do this.

Landlord made a system but nobody kept to it. The garbage area is a pig-stye. We won't buy our own because there is a 100% chance that the other tenants will use it. Or steal it. No point.

Once it a blue moon the landlord sends someone to take it out and by then the garbage don't even take everything because it's too much or too messy.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 2:01 pm
Offer to do it for your landlord in exchange for a management deduction from your rent?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 2:03 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Offer to do it for your landlord in exchange for a management deduction from your rent?

we don't need the deduction bh and my dh is too busy to be busy with the building's garbage.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 2:07 pm
I'd find this very annoying.
I live in a big building so the management takes care of it. The area isn't neat by any means, but the basics are done.
My parents live in a 3 family home. One person is in charge of shoveling snow and sweeping the basement steps, one person takes care of paying water/utilities and collecting the money from the other two, and my parents do the garbage. It isn't always perfect at all but it works for the most part. There isn't too much garbage tho, just 3 smaller size families.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
we don't need the deduction bh and my dh is too busy to be busy with the building's garbage.

Take the deduction and hire someone to do it for you. If your landlord isn't dealing with it. And your neighbors aren't dealing with it. And it bothers you. Then deal with it.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 4:11 pm
The other tenant.

It’s my husband nephew and I think he takes advantage.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics